Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help ID'ing a possible hunting knife...

Article about: Mean looking rib tickler, for sure! Definitely genuine and cool as.....well, you know...lol

?

Default Need help ID'ing a possible hunting knife...

Hi all,

I'm considering a lot of misc TR daggers, and this knife is in the lot. It has a Damascus etched blade, and what appears to be gold inlays. Is this a pre-war hunting knife? I'm trying to at very least get a feel for its age and authenticity.

Any help is appreciated.

Need help ID'ing a possible hunting knife...Need help ID'ing a possible hunting knife...Need help ID'ing a possible hunting knife...Need help ID'ing a possible hunting knife...Need help ID'ing a possible hunting knife...Need help ID'ing a possible hunting knife...Need help ID'ing a possible hunting knife...Need help ID'ing a possible hunting knife...

Thanks!
    Dzyner

I collect German Daggers.

Default Re: Need help ID'ing a possible hunting knife...

Looks Turkish, or Middle Eastern.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Looks Turkish, or Middle Eastern.........
    On the right track, I had a friend who collected Caucasian and Indo-Persian weapons, so while I have no idea as to current value I might be able to help a little. It looks like a legitimate slight variant (not a later tourist example) of what is sometimes called a "Kyber" knife or more formally a "Pesh-kabz" from perhaps the 19th century(?). With the ones I remember seeing usually having a little more flare at the end of the handle. Like some other knives from that (fairly large) general area some even have some identifiable characteristics as to a specific location (to those who have specialized interests). With that the extent of what I remember at the moment. FP

?

Thanks guys! I just received this a couple of days ago and it's a very interesting (and larger than expected) dagger. May not be TR, but still very cool! I'm wondering if the grips are bone or ivory. I'm guessing bone?

Quote by dzyner View Post
    Thanks guys! I just received this a couple of days ago and it's a very interesting (and larger than expected) dagger. May not be TR, but still very cool! I'm wondering if the grips are bone or ivory. I'm guessing bone?
    Your guess is probably correct. Quite possibly even camel bone.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

The way the sheath fits tightly around the grips is almost reminiscent of something Finnish. Maybe Reindeer antler or bone grip? Of course, I could be way off here...where's Reibert when you need him, hey? What are the measurements of this knife?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Nice score!! You never know until you get the item, but I thought that this might be a larger size knife. In part two of "A Primmer of Military knives" by Gordon Hughes and Barry Jenkins it lists what is described as a "Kyber" knife that they thought was a special issue knife for British officers in the NW frontier. Undecorated with a utilitarian look to it (with the same style sheath), when you see the drawing in the book it gives a size, but still looks small. But when you actually see one and handle it ........... it's NOT a toy. Being a fairly large knife that is actually very well made - I'm guessing late 19th century in the UK(?). I've also seen exceptionally well made Kukri's with the same utilitarian look that I'm fairly certain were also early manufacture, but uncertain as to the exact time period. FP

Try looking up examples of a "Persian Kard Dagger". The engraving and the inlay on the blade is almost identical, as is the basic shape of the blade and guard. Here are a couple of links to some quick examples:

Ethnographic Arms & Armour - Persian Kard Dagger....Help With Translation Please!

Arms & Antiques - Islamic

3d persian kard dagger model
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks guys, you nailed it! Without a doubt it's a Persian Kard Dagger (knife).

FP, the overall size is 14", and the blade is 8.5". It is one hefty piece too!

Wagriff, thanks for the links! They helped me place a somewhat realistic value on this too. I had someone on another forum trying to steal it from me for $150

Great ID on the knife, boys. Well made old dagger worth hanging onto.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast