Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Paperwork inside of Hungarian Dog Tags - Great condition

Article about: My father fought with the Hungarians in WW2. Unfortunately, he died when I was much younger, and I know very little of his time during the war. I'm trying to decipher some of the information

Default Paperwork inside of Hungarian Dog Tags - Great condition

My father fought with the Hungarians in WW2. Unfortunately, he died when I was much younger, and I know very little of his time during the war. I'm trying to decipher some of the information from his ID cards.

I'm looking for clarification on what the "11/I tu a 1 uteg" means. ? 1st or second Army? I assume the tu is an abbreviation for tarack uteg (howitzer battery)? The rank (rendfokozat) is Orvezeto??

I'm trying to better understand where he would have fought. Looks like entered sometime around the end of 1943. He always said Eastern Front.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paperwork inside of Hungarian Dog Tags - Great conditionPaperwork inside of Hungarian Dog Tags - Great conditionPaperwork inside of Hungarian Dog Tags - Great conditionPaperwork inside of Hungarian Dog Tags - Great condition

Hi ezmassanyi,

Eastern front in his case could have mean anything from Ukraine to Belarus. He got his typhus jab in December, 1943, which in my understanding indicates he got enlisted in late 1943. The 2nd Hungarian Army was crushed at the Don and slowly the survivors returned to Hungary. By this date Axis armies were constantly pushed back.
    He was an "őrvezető" at 11/1 tüzérségi osztag, 1. üteg.
    It's strange that the "azonossági szám" (identification number) is missing.