Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Spanish Blue Div. Anti-Tank badge

Article about: Here is my latest addition to my collection, a Blue Division Anti-Tank badge. The badge is die-stamped zinc with four attachment holes for sewing onto the uniform. This type of badge was ini

?

Default Spanish Blue Div. Anti-Tank badge

Here is my latest addition to my collection, a Blue Division Anti-Tank badge. The badge is die-stamped zinc with four attachment holes for sewing onto the uniform. This type of badge was initially used by Spanish Nationalist's troops during the civil war 1936-1939 and subsequently used by Spanish volunteers of the Division Azul on the Russian front.

Spanish Blue Div. Anti-Tank badgeSpanish Blue Div. Anti-Tank badge

Here it is next to my Spanish cavalry skulls which also were used during the Civil War By Anarchist troops and WWII by the Blue Division

LINK: Skull insignia for Spanish Lusitania cavalry regiment

?

Here is a great photo of a Division Azul soldier wearing an unorthodox mix of German and Spanish insignia. You can see the Cavalry skull in use on the traditional Carlist beret and the anti-tank badge over the German breast adler on his uniform

?

Very Cool. That is a first time seeing one of these. Thanks for showing.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Thanks Phil, It's my first time holding one, I've only seen them in photo's. Al

?

?

That looks awesome!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

No sooner did I buy this fairly expensive badge that another one presented itself at a quarter of the price of the original. While I'm convinced of the authenticity of the first badge, I still have slight reservations about this second one. I was able to buy this one directly from a dealer in Spain so that may account for the lower value. The badges are identical in design and dimensions. When I lay them one on top of the other they are an exact match, even the holes line up. Now the obvious difference is the material or finish. The first badge is a lightweight zinc with no silver plating to speak of. The second has a shine through and through. I'm not sure if this some sort of plating or the actual metal. It almost looks like stainless steel or chrome. The badge while thin, is slightly heavier and more rigid. My real problem is with the rough surface on the back. This type of surface is usually indicative of residue from a mold. The problem is I'm fairly confident that this piece is nicely stamped and has crisp clean edges and details. Could those imperfections on the back be due to some chemical reaction from the plating process ? I do work with small metal items at my job and sometimes when they are not properly cleaned prior to electroplating, it results in some imperfections on the surface. I guess I kind of answered my own questions but I'd like some input one way or the other. This hobby makes you so paranoid you have to question everything.

Thanks, Al

Hi Aldo,

First of all don't worry, both badges are authentic. The only thing that differs is that the first (or older) models were made of zinc, the most modern are made of brass.

I have a small collection of badges of this type, belonging to the "C.C.C.". When I get home I show you some photos, in case they help you.

?

Hello, thank you that, that would be very helpful.

Regards, Al

This is the same model you have. I've added an original 1948 photo of a soldier with the badge.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast