MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spanish Blue Division Group: Research help?

Article about: This group is part of a uniform collection I’m working on and is waaay out of my knowledge range! Uniforms, paper, and badges to a career Spanish Artillery officer, Francisco Fernández He

Default Spanish Blue Division Group: Research help?

This group is part of a uniform collection I’m working on and is waaay out of my knowledge range!
    Uniforms, paper, and badges to a career Spanish Artillery officer, Francisco Fernández Heredia-Deyro, with service in the Spanish Civil War and with the Azure Division in Germany. I’m trying to get an idea of how long he was in Germany and what engagements he was in? There is a memorial write up to him on this website. Google translator has been my friend!
    memoriablau • Ver Tema - FERNANDEZ HEREDIA-DEYRO, Francisco. Teniente de artilleria
    And... what is the sash with the 36-39 clasp?
    Any information appreciated!0
    His awards, as best as I can i.d. them correctly are the Spanish Civil War Order of Military Merit with red reverse disc and mounted on a Grand Cross sash. The Spanish Legion Al Merito En Campana breast star, a two piece construction pinback. And the Order of Military Merit breast star.
    Andrew
    Spanish Blue Division Group:  Research help?Spanish Blue Division Group:  Research help?Spanish Blue Division Group:  Research help?Spanish Blue Division Group:  Research help?Spanish Blue Division Group:  Research help?Spanish Blue Division Group:  Research help?

?

Very nice group. The parade sash was issued to Officer's that participated in the Civil war 1936-1939. Worn by officers who fought under Franco during the civil war. These were used at parades and galas on the dress tunic and saw use well into Franco's regime. The standard service tunic could be transformed for a gala by adding epaulets, a brocade belt, a ceremonial dagger and this sash as shown on the uniform below.

Credit: Rathbone Museum

Spanish Blue Division Group:  Research help?Spanish Blue Division Group:  Research help?

From my collection
    Spanish Blue Division Group:  Research help?
    Regards, Al

?

Not to confuse the thread But I posted an Air Force uniform above to demonstrate the sash but these are pictures of the Army 1943 regulation uniform for a better perspective with your belt setup.

Spanish Blue Division Group:  Research help?Spanish Blue Division Group:  Research help?
    Regards, Al

Excellent thank you! One uniform in my group, two belts.

?

You're welcome. I have one of those two piece brocade belts in my collection as well. Yours is particularly nice because it has the sword hanger. You could easily find a a sword or even a nice ceremonial dagger for that setup. I would imagine the pink sash saw less use than the brocade sash. There seems to be a lot of fairly mint versions on the market. I would love to see more detailed photo's of the caps if you get a chance. Thanks for posting

A few items from my collection:

Regards, Al

Nice collection!
    Thought this paper was neat!

?

Very nice! The ID card indicates he was a Lt in 1943. I would say the visor is for a "Comandante" aka Major one 8 pointed star. Probably dates to the 1950's -1960's or later perhaps, but not the civil war era as those caps are quite different. The overseas cap looks like a model 1943 for a high ranking officer, Lt Col. or Colonel maybe, 2 eight pointed stars. This style of cap was used for decades. You need to research when he attained those ranks to be sure.

I've read that those "so called" food ration stamps are not authentic but I have no proof of that. However you can see tons of them for sale on ebay with all kinds of enticing images of the Blue Division.
    Regards, Al

I wondered what the stamps were for! Not a keeper group for me but I am really enjoying the research!

?

Quote by Wartime Collectables View Post
    I wondered what the stamps were for! Not a keeper group for me but I am really enjoying the research!
    Yes, you have to rationalize that if they were legitimate food ration stamps they would all have been used. No way that many complete food rations went unused in a country that underwent a terrible war for 3 years. Spaniards love to eat ! Just check out ebay and you'll see tons of them for sale. they are nice looking though as wall art in a collection.
    Regards, Al

Hello friends.
    Greetings Al!
    Totally true what Aldo says. The alleged ration card coupons with images of the Blue Division, are "more fake than a three dollar bill"
    There are tons,, I could upload a score of images at least

And his logic is absolute: why weren't the coupons given in exchange for food?

Regards
    Santi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast