Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Flag, fake or real?

Article about: Hello everyone, I recently bought this SS flag from an Auction. This is the photo they provided me, I want to know if it’s real or fake. Thanks.

Default SS Flag, fake or real?

Hello everyone, I recently bought this SS flag from an Auction. This is the photo they provided me, I want to know if it’s real or fake. Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Flag, fake or real?  

Can't really see anything useful in that picture unfortunately. Was there any description provided with it, i.e. did the seller give dimensions or describe any stamps?

I'd never buy anything just one picture like that being available. In order to vet this item you shoud provide some useful pictures, state measurements and indicate the materials the flag is made of.

I'd you're just starting out in the collecting world - or even if you're not - there are a few important lessons to be learned here.

* Always ensure you have multiple clear, close-up photographs before making a purchase. Purchasing an item on the basis of a single photo is a recipe for disaster.

* If you haven't been collecting for long, stay away from SS items. It's a field full of fakes and pitfalls that regularly snare even experienced collectors. Anything SS-related tends to come with a hefty price tag, and this makes it a priority target for fakers. Be wary of anything and everything SS, especially if the price tag is suspiciously small.

* This is the most important one. If you're going to get an item vetted on this forum, do so before spending any money. If you drop some serious cash on an item you believe to be real, only to find out later that it's fake, you'll find yourself in one of two positions. If the auction house/seller allows returns and refunds, you'll have to go through the hassle of sending it back and recovering your money. If they don't, you're up the creek without a paddle.

Regards, B.B.

Well I bought this in an online Auction from the Lockdale’s Auction House in England. For their 1000+ lots they really only provide one picture for their items. They are a respectable auction house though and have been open since 1996. I am aware that a lot of SS items are fake, but since luckily barely anyone was there to place bids on this flag when it came up, I decided to take advantage and purchase this, they are yet to ship this to me. Any recommendations on what I should do? BTW, this flag was dated 1940 and the dimensions are 55 x 100.

Since you recently bought this flag and it is in your possession ?...could you provide further pics as requested ?

The auction house is the least of the concerns here and its the flag that is under examination.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that they are yet to ship this to me. I was asking for your opinions since I wanted to see if it’s fake or not so I can easily cancel my purchase before I actually pay them. Anyways, sorry, I’m just new to this, I will ask for more pictures. Thanks for all your help guys, have a nice day

Photos are everything here ....aka Xrays and sometimes cat scans or MRIs are further needed when one photo is not enough.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

An auction house can be as reputable as can be, it makes no difference. At the end of the day, they are not collectors passionate about history. They are a business, out to make money. Many auction houses - even the reputable ones - will be lax when it comes to vetting the items they sell for that very reason.

If a seller doesn't provide more than a single photograph, even a reputable one, they should be avoided. Whilst they aren't necessarily trying to deceive or hide something, it indicates a lack of due care and attention, which may well translate into other aspects of their business -- e.g. authenticating lots.

There is a reason nobody was making bids on it. There's a chance - however small - that the flag may be authentic. But with only a single photograph to speak for it, it simply isn't worth the risk. If you can, cancel your purchase and save your money.

Regards, B.B.

JMM
    ?

Just curious: only one bid? Your bid? If it's ok with you, would you care to tel us the starting price?
    Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast