Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Winter camo Finnish M40/M55 helmet

Article about: Hi guys, I have always wanted a Finnish modified German helmet M40 style helmet and purchased this one today. The winter camo is "interesting" although I´m fully aware that it mig

Jan
    ?

Default Winter camo Finnish M40/M55 helmet

Hi guys,

I have always wanted a Finnish modified German helmet M40 style helmet and purchased this one today.

The winter camo is "interesting" although I´m fully aware that it might be a later addition that has been made for display, re-enactment, for use as a movie or theater prop or "other" purposes . I will have a closer look at this when I have the helmet in my hands.

I have looked into several threads on these helmets here on the forum but opinions on this one would be much appreciated.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Winter camo Finnish M40/M55 helmet   Winter camo Finnish M40/M55 helmet  

Winter camo Finnish M40/M55 helmet   Winter camo Finnish M40/M55 helmet  

Interesting helmet. It retains original german liner pins, but new M55 liner pins are free of white paint. So theoretically white paint is older than m1955 liner and new pins.

It reads AUK MASA. Translated AUK means NCO School, MASA is callname for Matti or other similar first name.
    NCO school last only 3 month and maybe then helmet was returned back to storage and wasn't distributed again as it has clearly 'wrong color' as other helmets. There is no colored sweat in the liner, sign of lack of use.

Jan
    ?

Thanks Verikauha. I will check if the M55 liner pins have been inserted over the whitewash when I receive it.

Your theory about what might have happened might also well be the right one. Seems like the helmet saw only very little use after it was refurbished ny the Finnish Defence forces.

Best,

Jan

Jan
    ?

One more comparision photo from the seller of a regular M40 (by ET) and the refubished Finnish one.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Winter camo Finnish M40/M55 helmet