Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

2 ACHs

Article about: Hello all, I joined the K-pot club recently by picking up two ACHs from the mid 2000's. The MSA ACH was manufactured in 2005 and the Gentex ACH was manufactured in January of 2006. I'm prett

Default 2 ACHs

Hello all, I joined the K-pot club recently by picking up two ACHs from the mid 2000's. The MSA ACH was manufactured in 2005 and the Gentex ACH was manufactured in January of 2006. I'm pretty sure the chinstrap and (5 of the 7) liner pads are original to the MSA helmet as they all share the same year of manufacture. The Gentex helmet I'm less sure of since the pads that came with it are "ZAP" pads from team Wendy which I have read were originally made for early SDS helmets. There are two minor differences that I've noticed between them, one is that Gentex adds texture to their paint while MSA does not, and the Gentex has more Velcro disks on the inside than the MSA. Would love to find more of these especially any with patched covers and camo bands with info on them or a later manufactured one with an OCP cover. Thanks for reading.

For the Gentex ACH I added eye retention straps, camo band, NVG mount and 2 pads to get it up to 2007/8 spec. I also have the armor nape pad but decided not to add it since I do not have the ballistic insert.

For the MSA ACH I added a NVG mount and a reversible tri color desert camo cover.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 ACHs   2 ACHs  

2 ACHs   2 ACHs  

2 ACHs   2 ACHs  

2 ACHs   2 ACHs  

2 ACHs   2 ACHs  

2 ACHs   2 ACHs  

MAP
    ?

Nice Steve,

I'm not a "compo" guy but I really like the looks of these. I have an 90's era PASGT (to show the lineage of the Stahlhelm )
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Nice Steve,

I'm not a "compo" guy but I really like the looks of these. I have an 90's era PASGT (to show the lineage of the Stahlhelm )
    Thank you Michael, I think I've seen your pasgt when searching through the forum it's a great example! I want to get one for the same reason and it also fills the last major hole in my US helmet collection as well. The ACH has a great look to it and there's a ton of variety between them with all the different mounts, cuts, covers, and pads that exist.

Nice pairing, I'd have one too, but can't down here!! lucky I have what I have.

All Compos are good compos!.... I'm assuming you've seen this:- Composite Helmets, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets International Guide

Your adherence to what-goes-with-what is good....I've often wondered how strictly Issued bits stay together after they've been used. Certainly some post-issue collectors will "upgrade" their lids with brackets, bands etc (as will the less scrupulous) but often the wearers themselves might have switched bits for their personal preference....sometimes whole liner systems were replaced to make things more comfortable.

Anyway, welcome to the dark side!

Quote by Composite View Post
    All Compos are good compos!.... I'm assuming you've seen this:- Composite Helmets, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets International Guide

Your adherence to what-goes-with-what is good....I've often wondered how strictly Issued bits stay together after they've been used. Certainly some post-issue collectors will "upgrade" their lids with brackets, bands etc (as will the less scrupulous) but often the wearers themselves might have switched bits for their personal preference....sometimes whole liner systems were replaced to make things more comfortable.

Anyway, welcome to the dark side!
    That website has been a great reference, I've been using it recently to find out more information on a cloned composite M1 liner I have. Your right about after market parts there's a big market for them and modifying the helmet in general, upgrading the pads makes sense, some of the issued ones are more comfortable than others. The ZAP pads feel like rocks were stuffed in them, while the MSA pads are much more comfortable and feel like they have actual foam or memory foam in them.