Catawiki - Top
Display your banner here

Brand new MK6A

Article about: Bought this MK6A off Ebay a few days ago not thinking about it too much, as it was only £20 and I didn't have a 6A in my collection. However, I think I lucked out, it seems to be brand new!

Default Brand new MK6A

Bought this MK6A off Ebay a few days ago not thinking about it too much, as it was only £20 and I didn't have a 6A in my collection.

However, I think I lucked out, it seems to be brand new!

2009 dated size Small, but not even a single scuff mark, and the leather feels really soft seemingly confirming its nonuse, heck it even smells new haha.

The 2009 date is probably the reason why it's not used considering the MK7 came into service that year.

Brand new MK6A Brand new MK6A

Brand new MK6A Brand new MK6A

I sort of agree with you... but the Mk7 was not a replacement of the Mk6A for some time (on operations) / ever (in terms of being 'standard' issue). For example, I was issued a Mk6A specifically to go to Afghanistan in 2010, because only 'Teeth Arms' (or rather those regularly going out on dismounted patrols, which did include some Support Arms personnel) were getting Mk7s. The 'sharp end' folks were not the majority of each tour, so large numbers of Mk6As were still being issued & used well after 2009.

Of course, the fact that there was a new (& VERY sought after) type on issue soon after yours was made is still likely to have played a part in it retaining that 'factory fresh' smell

PS I have one which is the same size but otherwise the polar opposite... I believe it was part of the 'pool' of Mk6As which were kept on hand for Locally Employed Civilians in the workshop, in case an incident meant they needed head protection - its covered in baked on / ingrained dust which has so far resisted all cleaning

Interestingly I also have a brand new (still boxed and wrapped) Standard MK6 helmet also dated 2009 I picked up off eBay for only £25 recently. This surprised me as I had no idea they still produced those much after 2005 at all, especially as late as 2009. Which ironically also means you could get a MK6, MK6A, and MK7 all dated 2009.