Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Brit Virtus / Cobra / "Mk8" helmet

Article about: Ok so it hasn't been called the Mk8....yet.... I saw a few at Bovington last weekend and was surprised to see two different shaped mandible guards (that's the jaw bit!) fitted...one was angu

'snapped at the weekend.....

Hey...mind that tumbleweed!

Entertaining but I don't see that being tolerated in service.

Sense of humour failures notwitstanding it would be bad opsec and also the best way to make yourself "stand out" to a sniper".

Whenever I or colleagues went on patrol with another regiment we would be required to wear the same regimental headress as them when not wearing helmets for exactly that reason. Not that we ever needed persuading when faced with the logic

I think somebody has played too many "Mega, murder, death, kill armageddon video games

Thanks for showing this Ade, it made my day!

BTW where did you see it?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

...a new LUCIE mount conversion plate.....those bolt-ons keep coming...

Brit Virtus / Cobra / "Mk8" helmetBrit Virtus / Cobra / "Mk8" helmet

Well, here's something you don't see very often...oh OK Mr Homefront Composite *did* post a few pics of an almost disassembled one back in 2019 (three years back now good grief, when we were all younger and more optimistic...) but as I finally got around to photographing mine Quite Some Time after taking it apart I feel I ought to do something other than just file the photos on my own PC.

Taking it apart was much simpler than some people imply; I did take a reference photo to see how the cover straps fit under the liner pads but otherwise it was straightforward except for the one bolt that wouldn't come undone easily and resulted in a struggle that reminded me of taking Para Light Weight helmets apart (not much blood).

First, the general views, showing it to be a rather unattractive object not dissimilar to many most? all?? 21stC composites. The little sticker in the fifth pic appears to be some kind of inspection mark.

Brit Virtus / Cobra / "Mk8" helmet Brit Virtus / Cobra / "Mk8" helmet

The interior (the marking on the rather out of focus liner pad is a clockface, presumably showing which mould, or something -

and a few views of the liner itself, showing the inside elements of the front and back (Am I the only person who thinks it looks like the skeleton of a trilobite?) -

And the chinstrap assembly and one of the sidebolts with some bit that holds something on the outside I dunno (I wonder why that bolt is so badly scratched...)

And for the sake of completism, my rough reference photo for the straps positioning -

You’ve got one!!!!

Stop the Press!!

How exciting is this....a new logo on the NVG filler patch thingy front-plate cover.....you saw it here first!!

...and I've just seen this model referred to on a sales site as the "Mk2 insert" (the Mk1 presumably being the one with the Revision shield logo which kinda looks like the Transformers emblem....so I'm told). Guys, this could be our chance to F-up collectors for the next few years....we could start referring to this second one as the "M22" (like M76 helmet?) and see how long it lasts....until a new younger Greg-esque collector starts screaming that there as never an M22!! Seriously, I assume the change is down to rebranding (Galvion...not Revision any more?)....

Both types of the NVG insert, different logo's externally but on the reverse side identical serial and patent numbers present Brit Virtus / Cobra / "Mk8" helmetBrit Virtus / Cobra / "Mk8" helmet

...and it now looks like the mandible / jaw protector has an MTP covering in the form of pre-cut shaped MTP stick-on sections....for those of us old enough - think sticky-backed plastic. I don't yet know if this is pre-issue applied or if it's left to squaddies to apply....god forbid! it might just be painted panels...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6