Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

British Composite helmet history - do we know it?

Article about: We SHOULD. I recently read that a boxed and dated Mk6 (sic) (I suspect they meant Mk6ALPHA) had been observed dated 2014 and another dated 2013. I've travelled around UK shows and last year

Quote by Composite View Post
    ...b*gg***d if I know!.......GRRRREEEEGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!
    Not a clue, boss.

Actually, I am pretty sure I have never seen this sort of label before - that 'SERVICE YEAR' line is particularly unfamiliar. I've just done a very quick riffle through photos on CompoSite and in my own files and there's nothing like it. It does resemble a NP AEROSPACE label but if the 2013 date is to be believed than surely they would have been rebadged as MORGAN COMPOSITES (or MORGAN ADVANCED MATERIALS, or whatever) at that time. Although it is also true that the labels in Mk7 do NOT specify a manufacturer (which must be Morgan). This is all strange. I know it's a stupid question, but this really is a Mk 6, yeah?

?

Link to original thread i made about helmet in question

MK6 helmet

Looks pretty 6-y to me.....

The Morgan bit is an interesting observation.....

?

Considering this helmet to be an anomaly. It must be worth more than a DD ss m35 helmet then right?

How weird. Replacement label Potentially?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Considering this helmet to be an anomaly. It must be worth more than a DD ss m35 helmet then right?

How weird. Replacement label Potentially?
    Thanks *very* much for pointing out your original posting. I'd either missed or forgotten it. It's a 6, no question. This label is definately strange and I can't suggest anything to account for it. Your idea of it being a replacement has some sense, but I just don't believe it. We need to find more examples of this to formulate a theory. Or of course Marcus Cotton could phone in and tell us the deeply researched facts.

It *ought* be be more valuable than any TR helmet as a genuine oddity but we all know that value isn't based on simple scarcity.

Figure to throw this one in.

Update

On the back of my latest Mk6 acquisition I think our Ealiest/Latest label dates are now:-

Mk6 1984 (numerous) - 2014 (Composite)
    Mk6A 2007 (Composite) - 2013 (Old Steel)
    Mk7 2009 (Mark K) - 2012 (numerous)
    Virtus 2015 -

British Composite helmet history - do we know it?

So we now have a Mk6 dated later than the last 6A (reported, yet) and out-doing the later 7 too. I'm sure a lot of you will recall my classic post on helmet scrim which documented my discussions with a load of army folk last summer. One of those "interviewed", a young lady in fact, told me she was still wearing a 6 ("a green one") and she was waiting to go straight to Virtus.....she said that non-Medium helmets are often in short supply (she was a SMALL). My 2014 is a LARGE.

Finally, a word on refurbishment......when I picked up this lid I was convinced that it had never left the Stores....it is mint....but in reality it was probably used for 12-13 years and then refreshed.....12-13 years of army love, care and attention, being carefully packed in tissue paper in the rear of a Warrior every time etc (yeah, rrrright :-) ) and it can be made to look like this......I've got an idea for a new TV Series.......

KEEP CHECKING THOSE DATES!!!!

refurbs don't count

My thread, my rules!

Seriously tho mate it’s a good point....are we talking about MADE or USED......????

We probably need two sets of dates per lid.........doh!!!!

OK I've given this a great deal of thought....well, 11 minutes to be precise......this Thread is about dates.....so Refurbs DO count (on THIS thread)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast