Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

British Mk6 alpha

Article about: Hello everyone, is a bit of time who are looking for a good Mk6 A, I just found this interesting example that I want to share with you. But the thing that left me a little amazed is the date

I am now hereby declaring this thread to be THE thread for the British Mk6A helmet (apparently if one posts that it makes it all legal and everything.....)...hopefully we can build this one up to contain ALL future posts on this helmet....HINT HINT....('bet that'll last about 2 weeks.....) ....but seriously, a 6a is a 6A is a 6A.....can we PLEASE keep them all together?? :-).....it's not like the Thread title is vague for Pete's sake......

Rant over.

A new addition....a nice been-there feel about it...'usual stuff, a pic of the helmet for you all....and the label for Greg :-) Quite early (2007/2008)...yep, it's a 6A with cloth, rubber and shiny bits on.

British Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alpha

...and that bit sticking out the back is a squaddie-added clip hook for attaching to kit

'any Mk6As outside 2007 - 2013 please...by label

Who made the 6A ?

we have a pretty good list of Mk6 makers....but did they all make 6As????

Quote by Composite View Post
    Who made the 6A ?

we have a pretty good list of Mk6 makers....but did they all make 6As????

Good question Ade,
    I always thought it was NP Aerospace, given the smaller quantities compared to the Mk6, perhaps only one manufacturer could do it; I got this idea because I saw it in the NP catalog; see this site, I believe it dates back to some time ago, when the Mk6A was in production:
    http://www.armedforces.co.uk/release...8#.XLXbzi1aaqA

it's just a clue, but I don't know if this is correct.

Regards
    Roberto

Quote by Composite View Post
    Who made the 6A ?
    Is there any reason to suspect there is/was anyone other than National Plastics (or perhaps the successor company, Morgan) ? Every Mk6A I have seen or had hands on has the characteristic late-period NP label, the one which doesn't actually mention NP at all, except it obviously is from the format, typeface, and size.

As far as I know all the 'other' Mk6 makers were early on in the game, with only a late entry by RBR in the mid-90s - otherwise all NP.

Well, that didn’t take long......

Ta

Out of my 6A pairing only one has a label present and it's hanging on in there thanks to the sniper tapeBritish Mk6 alpha
    Regards James

...another boring ol' "been-there" Mk6A ...but it was cheap......

British Mk6 alphaBritish Mk6 alpha

This guy certainly didn't want to lose his cover / scrim.....2 Cats Eyes bands, tape and a thick Bungee cord....

British Mk6 alpha

...and there's a strange single piece of Velcro on the inside.........'any suggestions.....??

British Mk6 alpha

Now, I know that some of you helmet geeks out there are always keen to see the label....

British Mk6 alpha :-)

but the best thing about this relatively straight forward helmet is that, whilst it's not overly rare...or indeed in pristine condition, I am safe in the knowledge that, for a short while only, it will be an item of interest in the List of Disappointment that is also known as the "New Posts" list....a beacon of Composite in a raging sea of TR flotsam.....a shaft of brilliant light in the darkest
    black night sky....a water-carrying Samaritan in a sun-baked desert......a petrol station on the desolate road through the grey wet mountains....a Cash Machine at the best Militaria Fair in the world.....an ice-cold beer at the end of journey...but, it won't last long...it will sink quicker than a really heavy dense thing in a low viscosity fluid...down, down it will go, soon to be covered in wave upon wave of "New Collar-tabben-hausen"...as a wave of "Check out my new droop-tail" sends it deeper ....and finally the overwhelming impact of "Look-here's-something-with-Hitler-on-it" finishes it off as it slips into the eddy created deep below the surface by a thousand "Wounded-badgensi-stick-pinsbergs"....but it will have had its day...its hour perhaps at best in the sun....but you can help...the door has already been left ajar for interesting responses hypothesising about the mysterious Velcro tab, or adding your own examples with FIVE helmet cover retention aids.....or even just a smile at the label gag.......we can do this...we CAN defeat the dark forces again...but it needs everyone to pull together...everyone to recognise the threat...it's time to put down those smart phones and realise that you CAN have an impact by simply adding something non-TR to this wonderful place....get submitting NOW.......oh, you'll need to pick up your phones again tho.....

Nothing Boring about that Alpha at all Ade just up my street and i love the covering ,would you think this was an Operation Herrick example ? i have a couple of the GS mk6's scrimmed in a similar fashion ,as for the lateral velcro strip i too would like to know the reason behind it
    Regards James

Thanks James....I like 'em like this too...if for no other reason than they're safe to stack (and drop) without fearing the tiniest scratch. I was TOLD it was "Afghan" but who wouldn't say that.....it sells better than "sat on a shelf in Catterick"! That Velcro's really annoying me now....I'm hoping an expert on Composite helmets will take some time out of "Boring-nartsihausen" and throw us a bone..... :-)

I was gonna ask what the acceptable number of the same helmet is...but then I remembered Greg's here!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast