Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know

Article about: Guys, First of all, thank you for deciding to read this thread....I was gonna throw in an "SS" or "FJ" into the Thread name but thought better of it.... I'm starting this

Anybody know where I can find a rubber helmet band for my Oversize Mk7 or the correct .mil issue tape? I found some bands online in the UK but they want 25-30quid to ship to the states!!!

I’m not sure there is an “official” band....ie not Issue. I’ve seen a number of bands used ranging from inner tube section to “cats eye” bands. In the UK the use of rubber bands was banned for a while at least...you’ve probably seen the footage of a Warrior crew on fire. So-called “sniper tape” in green or light tan an be bought but a whole roll is heavy and postage (to US) won’t be cheap either.

Would Green or Tan Gaffer Tape be a good substitute or just a fabric type tape?

No I haven't seen the Warrior crew footage, but I've seen enough my 23 year service to last me.

Just found a roll of SCAPA tape on Ebay for 19 bucks shipped!

Anything you put on it after it’s Service will be an add-on. I’ve seen non-“sniper tape” used on Mk6As but not on 7s but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t used. I guess a lot comes down to what you want to do with it.....UK squaddies may well have traded Cats eyes or PX’d them - I’ve got a number of 7s with them on, official or unofficial. The fact is, it’s YOUR lid - do what you want :-)

Its an unissued version with a new MTP cover, but the MTP cover barely fits on it. I want to use the tape to keep it on and protect it on the shelf with my 2 Mk6's and a 6A once I break down and get one!!

Well done mate.....you’ll need to buy a lot of Brit lids to use the whole roll! ;-)

I've just established something MASSIVE...well, kinda...

Who knew (rhetorical) that the pre-prepared scrim for the MTP covers came in different size bags AND in different widths too!...I know....I'm off for a lie down...

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know

Don't forget people, this helmet came and left on OUR watch.....

Quote by Composite View Post
    Anything you put on it after it’s Service will be an add-on. I’ve seen non-“sniper tape” used on Mk6As but not on 7s but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t used. I guess a lot comes down to what you want to do with it.....UK squaddies may well have traded Cats eyes or PX’d them - I’ve got a number of 7s with them on, official or unofficial. The fact is, it’s YOUR lid - do what you want :-)
    As far as I am aware (& do take that only for what it is worth!) the US-style Cats Eyes were never an official UK item...

However, they were, at times, a popular individual private purchase addition, & that can spread pretty quickly throughout a Section, Platoon or even more widely!

In my own case, I spent part of my university course in the US &, having already joined the OTC at home, joined the second year ROTC programme there. I was therefore 'issued' some Cats Eyes for exercises & purchased a couple more (one of which I still have decades later!) at the PX.

We hear “they never did that” so many times about troops all through history....but, especially nowadays, the internet and social media mean that news travels fast and “add-ons” arrive the next day......squaddies no longer have to search out the local village seamstress to machine “morale” patches or tweak kit - they see it on a tiny screen and order it for next day delivery!

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast