Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know

Article about: Guys, First of all, thank you for deciding to read this thread....I was gonna throw in an "SS" or "FJ" into the Thread name but thought better of it.... I'm starting this

Morning everyone,
    I want to give my small contribution to this nice thread, I add two Mk7 examples to compare the two types of MTP covers used on these helmets: the example nr.1 has the cover of the first type (Mk6 style) but already labeled as "Mk7 cover"; while the example nr.2 uses the definitive cover with the two foliage bands.

Regards
    Roberto

Nr1
    British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know

Nr2
    British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know  

..beautifully photographed as usual.......

Quote by Composite View Post
    'anyone got a Mk7 (not a "black" variant) dated outside 2009 - 2012....by label please?
    Hi Ade,
    here is a 2013 example.
    I noticed that on the labels after the year 2012, which I happened to see, there is no longer the service year printed on the label, and the year can only be recognized by the first two digits of the batch number hand written.

Regards
    Roberto

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know
    Last edited by OldSteel; 12-02-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: correct word

A new addition....and this one's soooo different....errr......NOT!

but stop.....look closer.....look at how the foliage band has been attached by small loops of sniper tape to the main taped rim piece.....how exciting is that?...I've included a close-up photo for those of you who're more familiar with USB Microscope work..... Believe me, this is the chicken wire of tomorrow. And behold how carefully the elastic has been removed from the cloth cover....and just look at that sniper tape-fest....phwaaaah...look at the tape on that!

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know

oh and four cable-ties....FOUR!!....this is truly the FJ38 of our time.......well, I like it.

so, let's talk Rim pieces for a minute......

I've seen them removed then re-fitted to hold covers and stuff...but I've also seen them permanently removed. I've always suspected the latter is because one can't actually cram a load of cloth into the edging strip and have it still fit......

I've been looking at this one...it's clearly been netted at one stage..... but I can't see that the strip was ever refitted...what are your thoughts?

...for the inquisitive amongst you, the strange light coloured patch behind the mesh liner section turned out to be a very.....errr.....ah-hem....."artistic" photograph which can't be shared here!

well, it IS interesting here isn't it.......

Is there such a thing as a special or rare Mk7?

I don't mean the non-Mk7 Mk7s (900, 902, 903, CTTs etc) or the way it's been dressed post-issue. But with 6s there's different makers, smooth'n'textured, thin strap and thick strap etc...but 7's just seem to be.....errrrr.......7s.

Is there such a thing as a special or rare Mk7?
    Well, it's worth debating, but on the small (less than a dozen) sample I have had in hand I'd say No. They all seem identical, no variation at all, not even on the labels. Unless there's something handwritten like a batch or individual number or like that. Even the labels don't tell you anything really interesting, like the manufacturer. Must be the most anonymous UK helmet, by a margin.

...for the inquisitive amongst you, the strange light coloured patch behind the mesh liner section turned out to be a very.....errr.....ah-hem....."artistic" photograph which can't be shared here!
    That would be what serves 'Tommy Atkins' as a "morale patch". "I know, I was that soldier" as the saying goes

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

...errrr......the picture is almost certainly for a "morale" boost.....but it's actually of a very "buffed" (I believe that's the word of today) and "excited" young man.....Mark, you may have had a different one (you may not....I'm not judging! :-) )

...imagine my surprise when I released that mesh crown lining piece back, hoping to see an unusual makers label or owners mark........I immediately needed someone for me to ask if they "saw the Bears game" (to quote Steve Martin).

It's been in there a while (phnarr phnarr).....so I think it would be wrong, indeed, it would be a cock-up to remove it! :-)

...and thank you Greg....perhaps this is indeed the most boring helmet production run...I guess that helps me justify all the dressed-up post-isuue Mk7s I keep acquiring....at least the outside's different....and now I'm searching for one with a more interesting (to me at least) photograph!

...errrr......the picture is almost certainly for a "morale" boost.....but it's actually of a very "buffed" (I believe that's the word of today) and "excited" young man.....Mark, you may have had a different one (you may not....I'm not judging! :-) )
    Haha! Yes judgement along those lines can be somewhat problematic but my "morale patch" was indeed the polar opposite of what you appear to have "uncovered" but to allay any perceptions of anything other than "mainstream" I might remind that female soldiers have been wearing Mk7s since introduction. To be honest I would be quite pleased to see a female colleague keeping such a lucky charm (an indication of disposition perhaps) if you take my meaning

Och, the banter!!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast