Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know

Article about: Guys, First of all, thank you for deciding to read this thread....I was gonna throw in an "SS" or "FJ" into the Thread name but thought better of it.... I'm starting this

I think the most interesting point is the strap......5-point on the 7....3-point on the 6A...so presumably your 6A has been retro-drilled, unless of course yours is an official hybrid???

Yes it has been drilled but by who? It looks pretty well lined up were it has been drilled to accommodate the Mk7 chinstrap and the original holes for the liner tightening straps have been capped off. The only other thing to note is the liner brow pad sits very high in the helmet I (picture enclosed)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know  

Mk7 Helmet very well used with matching soldiers number on helmet and cover.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know   British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know  

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know   British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know  

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know   British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know  

?

Default Camo helmets

Hey all

Need some help in identifying what the black substance is on these helmets please. Both look like a black glue with remnants of helmet net. Or is it for IR squares

The Camo helmet doesn’t seem to have had sniper tape along the edge so I’m guessing glued down loose bottom edge net .. stuck down glue or with IR squares ?

Thoughts please

Thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know   British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know  

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know  

I'd say it's adhesive residue from Glint Squares attached after all the scrimming has been done....or simply just part of the scrim process

?

Any one know what adhesive is used to stick the squares as seems consistent. I’ve only see Velcro ones that aren’t self adhesive

..perhaps that's a question for ARS...

?

Ars?

Quote by Cjmil View Post
    Ars?
    This I imagine;

Home Page | Army Rumour Service

However, without seeing the adhesive remains in hand it just isn't possible to say because the military stores catalogue has a whole section for glues and adhesive products from highly purpose specific cyanoacrylate adhesives (super glue really) and two part epoxy resins (Araldite etc), the whole range of Loctite products down to bog standard contact adhesives and even paper glue. So the best you can say is that it would likely be whatever "Tom" could scrounge or pilfer from within his own unit or even whatever he had previously bought in Halfords or Tescos.

Not a huge amount of help but the short answer is "anything sticky" because there is no specific product sourced for such purposes. No "Goo sticky, badge/patch application, ground troops" Unfortunately

If I had to bet on it I would go with some sort of contact adhesive.

Regards

Mark.

PS Looking again it could even be panel bonding adhesive. Something like "Grip-fill" it is typically black rather than the proprietry pink or white so it looks like black mastic but sets hard.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-12-2020 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks very much big help.

I think it’s a black epoxy going by what I’ve removed

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast