Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know

Article about: Guys, First of all, thank you for deciding to read this thread....I was gonna throw in an "SS" or "FJ" into the Thread name but thought better of it.... I'm starting this

Mk7 (B)...2010 dated. Nice tight cover trimmed with edging strip re-fitted making a nice tidy job. But the liner pads are the best thing....front and back aren't the usual black leather....and if it was once there it's been removed incredibly well. And the helmet's been worn as such.

Could the leather have been unpicked from that front pad without damaging the stitching that's still in place???...and at the back too?

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know

...there might be a decal under the cover too :-)

?

Well that is a 1st for me Adrian would almost swear by your images that it was factory produced without the leather coverings on the pads I think it would be bloody tough to remove the leather without damaging the threads it all looks rather tight stitched as well...
    Nice to see it has a comfort pad kit as well good looking helmet that does indeed show wear to the interior...

Regards Mark K

Thank you...I don't get it...surely there can't be a soft'n'fluffy alternative to the smooth'n'shiny leather........but.....

?

Now I will be scouring images of Mk 7 helmets forever to see if the leather on the padding has been modified ...

Regards Mark K

?

Adrian interestingly enough I did find one helmet with a somewhat similar brow pad in a 2008 dated SF CTT helmet in your collection and all be it is not quite the same in regards to construction characteristics it does have striking similarities ...
    I have compared it to the 2007/2008 example in my collection and it is leather bound and now I can not find another example of a CTT with a fabric covered brow pad all other examples I have seen are bound in leather so the only thing that comes to mind is that possibly it was being tested for durability in the field as part of a limited trials program ?
    And an interesting side note on the SF CTT helmet that has the fabric brow pad the rear pad in this example is bound in leather so again different than the Mk 7 you have shown above..

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know   British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know  

I've cracked it!! I've just had yet another "soft" front pad arrive.....

....but I took this one apart...well, removed the front brow pad....

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know

...and noticed a black leather liner INSIDE the brow pad "envelope"....why on earth would they put a leather fronting to the INSIDE of a brow pad??....they DIDN'T....Mr Squaddie did....he's turned the liner pad inside out and re-fitted it so that the leather brow pad is now inside and the spongey padded inner is now ....errrr....outer!

...so, they flipped the pads.....easy as......

Good grief, that's amazing. Why didn't I think of that etc etc. To save everyone the effort, it really is true, I've just done it myself. Bit of a wrestle with the velcro - it isn't obvious how it dismantles except by sheer force - but the result replicates Adrian's, no question.

A nice plant-masked paint job...with the now fully explained reversed brow pad (Mk1) for "special" people.

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know

...sorry JB!

So, question one - considering the structural changes involving Revision late last year should we now be referring to any post November '19 Virtus lids as Galvion-made???

...and question 2 - does anyone here give a FF anyway?

Well, I do, sorta, in a rather academic manner. I mean it *is* interesting, but I don't have anything by Revision and not likely to either until they drop to less than a hundred apiece. Then again, never heard of Galvion before today and am already sufficiently interested to go and look them up any minute now. How do you know all this anyway?

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast