Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Scalp Protective helmet

Article about: Morning everyone, I've found this British helmet, but I do not know this model very well; I know it was used by Army Air Corps, and it's the endowment of ground crews of combat helicopters t

Default British Scalp Protective helmet

Morning everyone,
    I've found this British helmet, but I do not know this model very well; I know it was used by Army Air Corps, and it's the endowment of ground crews of combat helicopters to protect them from flying objects moved by the helicopter rotors, in fact I found some images on the internet that confirm this; but I do not know if it has any other uses.
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...he_LF-041g.jpg

https://assets.publishing.service.go...he_LF-049g.jpg

It is very light and comfortable and predisposed to be worn along with headphones and goggles, to note that no component is made of metal, not even rivets; I believe this feature is related to its particular use.
    Even if it is not a ballistic helmet, its liner and external finish reminds me a lot the some characteristics of the mod. GS Mk6.
    It seemed interesting to share with you.

Thanks for looking
    Roberto

British Scalp Protective helmetBritish Scalp Protective helmetBritish Scalp Protective helmetBritish Scalp Protective helmetBritish Scalp Protective helmetBritish Scalp Protective helmetBritish Scalp Protective helmetBritish Scalp Protective helmetBritish Scalp Protective helmet

There are a lot of cross-overs with the Mk6.....I believe they're worn by ground crew and I was once told that there's nothing significant (metal) about them in case of engine "injestion". They're effectively "Bump" helmets. I think........

Thanks Ade for confirming this, I also think that the absence of metal parts can be motivated by the risk of damaging the engine.

That's what I HEARD....'may not be a fact...

Quote by Composite View Post
    That's what I HEARD....'may not be a fact...
    Ok, maybe the opinion of some other expert forum member on the topic will help to clarify this point.

Nice piece of headgear Roberto and displays really well and if honest have overlooked these until now
    Kind regards James

Quote by James C View Post
    Nice piece of headgear Roberto and displays really well and if honest have overlooked these until now
    Kind regards James
    Thank you James, what you say is true, indeed there are military units, and the relative equipment, which are often overlooked because they have less "visibility", but which have indispensable functions; sometimes I like to develop these particular areas of military collecting.

Regards
    Roberto

Guys, I was a jet engine mechanic back in the 80's (USMC) and I can tell you that anything ingested into a jet engine, whether metal or not, can seriously damage things. Bits of cloth, plastic bags, wire, various plastic, metal or rubber fittings, even sand can and will damage the rotating components to one degree or another. (Even just the air eventually erodes the compressor vanes) Things are really moving in there and anything other than air is bad. I've worked on a bunched of FODed (FOD= Foreign Object Damage) engines and I can tell you that once something gets sucked into the intake, bad things are probably going to happen sooner or later. The idea of using plastic parts to avoid FOD is just silly...not saying that that's not the case, you understand, just that it's a silly idea.
    This helmet is just what our safety people here in the states call a "bump cap"- it's to keep you from whacking your head on all the various sharp angles/tubes/corners/assorted crap that exists inside a helicopter (which i am intimately familiar with) as well as keep you from getting brained by flying junk kicked up by rotor wash.

Quote by cammobunker View Post
    Guys, I was a jet engine mechanic back in the 80's (USMC) and I can tell you that anything ingested into a jet engine, whether metal or not, can seriously damage things. Bits of cloth, plastic bags, wire, various plastic, metal or rubber fittings, even sand can and will damage the rotating components to one degree or another. (Even just the air eventually erodes the compressor vanes) Things are really moving in there and anything other than air is bad. I've worked on a bunched of FODed (FOD= Foreign Object Damage) engines and I can tell you that once something gets sucked into the intake, bad things are probably going to happen sooner or later. The idea of using plastic parts to avoid FOD is just silly...not saying that that's not the case, you understand, just that it's a silly idea.
    This helmet is just what our safety people here in the states call a "bump cap"- it's to keep you from whacking your head on all the various sharp angles/tubes/corners/assorted crap that exists inside a helicopter (which i am intimately familiar with) as well as keep you from getting brained by flying junk kicked up by rotor wash.
    Thank you cammobunker, for explaining this and sharing your experience.

Hello
    Do you know which headphones must be worn with this helmet? I can't read the brand on the second picture.
    Thank you
    Jean Loup

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast