Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Danish M92 Gallet and M84 Flectarn covers

Article about: Hi all just fitted two recent covers to my Danish issue M92.. acquired at War and Peace show this year!! The first one is the rubber edged version made by CGF Gallet in size large (my pot is

Default Danish M92 Gallet and M84 Flectarn covers

Hi all
    just fitted two recent covers to my Danish issue M92.. acquired at War and Peace show this year!!
    The first one is the rubber edged version made by CGF Gallet in size large (my pot is a size medium so the fit is not great!!)
    I have been searching for a good one for a long time so I was chuffed as punch to find this one (the Danish seller had only a rough well used Small size on display.. so I asked the question "have you any more of these??" expecting a resounding no.... I was pleasantly surprised when he gestured for me to wait.... then presented me with a box containing several!!!
    after spotting most were still in the small size.... I began to give up hope...till the last one I picked up was a nice large size!!!......"these are rare" the seller began to say...I expected the price to leap up from the other displayed one!! but no same price!!! happy days!!!
    But then the best part was yet to come!!! the seller rummaged around in the others I had looked at ... and produced a drawstring fitted version!!! (I have never seen this type before ..don't know how I missed it in amongst the other normal type either!!!) once again the seller started " these are really... really rare!!" "these were how you say made to be used until the new stock of the issue ones arrived!!"........"ok how much for that one" I answered....... half expecting a silly price.... but I was collecting up quite a pile of purchases at this point ..... and the seller then sold it to me for only slightly more than the standard type!!!!! mega bargain!!!
    so here is my interim issue M84 camo drawstring cover!!!!
    in medium size (denoted by the tiny "M" label!!) no other makers marks on this one....it has signs of use on a M92 helmet (light wear lines) and it has a small repair in one place but the camo is still very bright and vibrant!!!!!
    hope you all enjoy this one like I do!!!!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Danish M92 Gallet and M84 Flectarn covers   Danish M92 Gallet and M84 Flectarn covers  

Danish M92 Gallet and M84 Flectarn covers   Danish M92 Gallet and M84 Flectarn covers  

Danish M92 Gallet and M84 Flectarn covers   Danish M92 Gallet and M84 Flectarn covers  

very nice indeed paul and thanks for sharing another treasure from your time at war and peace pretty good you sport the two types ,i never realised there was a drawstring version ,im a huge fan of the danish flectarn ,now dont quote me but i heard they had this original pattern before the bundeswehr adopted there version ,is that correct mate ?
    cheers james

That could very well be the case as the "M84" I would imagine would be first issued in 1984!!?? and the German version wasn't issued until the 90's!!!!
    I too am a big fan of Flectarn!!! ... so i'll sneak another associated item while no ones looking!!!!... its a helmet cover for the Chinese PLA in "tibetian" flectarn or type 03 plateau pattern!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Danish M92 Gallet and M84 Flectarn covers  

like it a lot mate i notice it has foliage slits like the us m1 covers ,great colour combination too i must try and bag one myself
    thanks for showing
    james

That is a great find! The seller wasn't lying when he said it's a rare piece. These were not intentionally made for the M/48 (M1 helmet), nor the M/96 (today's issued helmet), but actually for the German Schubert 826 helmet, that Denmark had on trial for a short period and which was also issued to the Danish UN troops in ex-Yugoslavia. I too have one, and it has neither stamps nor any tags - which leads me to believe it is locally made. From what I've understood the German helmet was deemed too expensive and instead the Ministry of Defence decided to go with the French produced Gallet helmet, that is known as the M/96 helmet. One could actually call the Schubert helmet the M/92, however the nomenclature for certain items in the armed forces have either never been established or haven't caught on; most likely because it was used in limited numbers or it was never standard issue.

An even more rare piece however, would be the cover made for the M/48 helmet in the M/84 camouflage pattern. That is damn near impossible to find. One might say it is just as rare as hen's teeth

- Dan

Thanks for the info Dan

Is there any pictures of the chickens gnashers M84 M1 type covers???...so I have an idea what to look out for!!

It was my old quartermaster who told me that they existed, after he found out that I collected helmets. Pretty sure he promised to find me a cover, but seeing as how rare it is I'm not surprised he hasn't found one yet.

As for photographic evidence I will try to find some, but again, it will be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Actually I recall having seen one for sale in a facebook group, but before I had the chance of purchasing it, the cover was already on its way to a new owner. I was kicking myself for the rest of that day.
    I'll see if I can find the photographs on my computer.

- Dan

Thanks Dan!!
    and if I find one in my travels...... i'll be rushing to share the pics on here!!!

Quote by Danishkaiser View Post
    That is a great find! The seller wasn't lying when he said it's a rare piece. These were not intentionally made for the M/48 (M1 helmet), nor the M/96 (today's issued helmet), but actually for the German Schubert 826 helmet, that Denmark had on trial for a short period and which was also issued to the Danish UN troops in ex-Yugoslavia. I too have one, and it has neither stamps nor any tags - which leads me to believe it is locally made. From what I've understood the German helmet was deemed too expensive and instead the Ministry of Defence decided to go with the French produced Gallet helmet, that is known as the M/96 helmet. One could actually call the Schubert helmet the M/92, however the nomenclature for certain items in the armed forces have either never been established or haven't caught on; most likely because it was used in limited numbers or it was never standard issue.

An even more rare piece however, would be the cover made for the M/48 helmet in the M/84 camouflage pattern. That is damn near impossible to find. One might say it is just as rare as hen's teeth

- Dan
    As a reference, this is how the M/84 cover for the Danish M1 helmets look:

The Danish M/84 camouflage pattern, is actually quite a bit older than 1984.
    The first trial versions of the pattern being issued in 1978 - and some items of the first run surviving for decades in use.
    I was issued a pair of trousers in T/78 as the pattern was aptly named - in 2012!

Nomenclature is a major problem in the Danish army, at least as I remember it.
    Even more so now, than prior to 1989.
    Items might have a official designation from the hands of the Ministry of Defence, or similar organisation.
    However, official nomenclature is in my experience never used in day-to-day communication, and often quickly forgotten.

Now that's proper cool!!!!!
    Thanks for the great reference pic!!!
    really that early!!???? ....boy....now I really gotta track one of those baby's down!!!!!!

And...yes I know what you mean.... us collectors don't help either by adding our own nomenclature for items... in lieu of knowing the correct terms!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast