Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Early Helmet Parachutist Lightweight

Article about: A recent find here in Western Canada that I was able to pick up in a helmet trade is this un-issued early British Helmet Parachutist lightweight... The lightweight helmet was extensively tri

?

Default Early Helmet Parachutist Lightweight

A recent find here in Western Canada that I was able to pick up in a helmet trade is this un-issued early British Helmet Parachutist lightweight...
    The lightweight helmet was extensively trialled in 1974 it is thought that the 1'st examples reached the troops sometime in 1976... This example is sporting the early green vinyl chinstrap/harness as produced Thetford Moulded Products these only seen service for a very short period of time and are mostly associated with the war in the Falkland Islands...
    Also of note is the white brow pad of the liner which as well were only found on the earliest production examples..
    The helmet body itself is as well an early variant due to the smooth surface on the exterior these early helmet bodies were manufactured from fiberglass and offered no ballistic protection to the wearer..
    The bare metal liner retention bolts have been painted over on this example to dull down there surface as there was a risk of reflection it is unclear if this was done at the factory or at the MOD depot's prior to being issued ..
    It is thought that the earliest examples of the Lightweight helmet were manufactured by Permali glos but as I am unable to see the label the helmet will need to be disassembled for further inspection...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Helmet Parachutist Lightweight   Early Helmet Parachutist Lightweight  

Early Helmet Parachutist Lightweight   Early Helmet Parachutist Lightweight  

Superb example Mark and great write up as always Nice to see the Laminated label still attached after all these years ,one thing i have noticed when viewing examples with the vinyl chinstraps is the green webbing always show some red colouration for some reason
    Regards James