Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

Article about: I recently revisited a list we created on Gregs old Yahoo forum...this was a list of all the things which are / can be attached to the modern combat helmet ranging from patches to cameras. I

Default Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

I recently revisited a list we created on Gregs old Yahoo forum...this was a list of all the things which are / can be attached to the modern combat helmet ranging from patches to cameras.

Is it complete? (for the time being at least):-

Cover
    Net (not chicken / barbed wire!)
    Scrim
    Goggles
    Glint Squares
    Patches (official and “morale”)
    NVG mount + strap
    NVG mount – fixed
    Rails (top, side etc)
    Visor
    Comms kit
    Ear defenders
    Mandible piece
    Beacon / “Mockinbird”
    Goggle straps (“Bunny Ears”)
    Light / torch (various)
    Nape Protector / Neck protector
    Foliage band
    Camera (Still / Video)
    Training Detectors e.g. “Miles” equipment
    Field dressing
    Attachment hook / ring (for attaching to webbing kit when not in use)
    Counter weights (and pouch) re NVG kit
    Bungee cords
    Inner Tube ring
    Bespoke replacement liner arrangements
    Edging rubber ring (commercial) - Brit
    “Sniper” tape
    Boonie hat brim (commercial) – US
    Bespoke paint jobs (including "Jaws" on mandible pieces)
    Transfers / decals / graffiti

If nothing else you can tick things off as you add them!

?

Adrian is this strictly an informative thread or should we be showing examples of differing attachments...

Regards Mark

Well, I’ve already started one specifically on NVG mounts...which you kindly contributed to....but this one is more about the other stuff (of which the NVG mount is just one).....so, if ya’ got ‘em, post ‘em :-)

...bands, beacons, lights.......

?

TAG/IR marker these are rather interesting as they can be programed in different specific patterns which makes for essential identification in the theatre of operations for supporting aircraft they also come equipped with 10 meters of tripwire that can be spooled out from the device to use on perimeters, trails and or defensive positions..
    The Dual Spectrum Tag-V/IR xs with External Switching rugged infrared beacon intended for marking personal and or equipment in short and or intermediate range operations .
    Unlike visible light markers that use an IR filter, there can be no accidental exposure of visible light, The IR source is solely invisible no covers to damage and or remove,
    -Identical functions and control to TAG-IRs with external on/off and signalling
    -Selectable IR or high intensity visible white
    -Dual mode flashing/steady
    -Field selectable flash rates
    -On/Off switch with trip activation built in..
    This particular example was a vet bring back from Afghanistan where we know them to have been issued to Canadian soldiers serving in the field and or theatre of operations..

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"   Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"  

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"   Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"  

Last edited by Mark K; 10-25-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks Mark.

Sticking with the "electronics" theme, this one's one of the most commonly seen beacons. Usually associated with downed pilots it has a brilliant white pulse light and, with a bit of sliding, it can produce a blue pulse. They're often seen strapped to SF helmets (usually on the back though)

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

Here's another...this too can be attached to a lid via a strap around the helmet...it simply slides on (rear facing)

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

....and then perhaps the most common in the UK, the "Mockingbird". This usually comes on a wide black elastic strap but in reality it's often found threaded onto a NVG mount strap or even attached to a Velcro receiving patch having had a small patch attached to the base (with glue)

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

....I'm sure there are others.......hint hint!

?

Cheers Ade as you have already shown the ACR/MS 2000M Beacon I shall not post my example here as you have it well covered and I can not shed anymore light on the subject...

With that said though perhaps a few more examples of strobes and IR beacons are in order well we are on the subject ( VIP, MS2000, IR Guardian ) These lights have proven their worth designed in cooperation with some of the world's most elite fighting forces, they have and continue to meet the challenges of the real world applications including IFF (Identification Friend or Foe), illumination and signaling in the harshest environments.
    To prevent accidental overt illumination this model features a one way bezel that needs to go through two IR modes before switching to overt light the overt light position also has a programmed delay so that it can be dialed through without activating. The light has IR, and one green light steady-on mode and a programmed IR mode that incorporates a very distinctive flash pattern so it is not confused with any other ambient or IR light sources.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"  

?

Perhaps one more this morning it is my understanding that these little beauties produced by Pelican ( Mini flasher 2130 IR Infrared Led's ) are current issued Canadian kit and are to be stowed away in ones pocket and or pack and are only to be used at need ...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"   Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"  

Here's another...this one's called "V-Lite"..it can be attached to kit as well....'forgot I had this one sitting on the back of a lid....'need to do a bit of research into this/these

Then there's the Princeton adjustable light.....'tho I'm not too sure whether the flexi stalk is really necessary when there's a thing called a NECK which also moves pretty well....

...and of course, perhaps the most well known, the "Surefire". This is detachable from its helmet mounting and can attach to a slightly different bracket worn on kit. It's capable of producing a whole host of light colours / patterns....

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

...and the Russian equivalent.....

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

..and of course non-standard kit was/is used as well.....

...and the highly discreet miniaturised West German version (sorry...'couldn't resist this old favourite!! :-) )

...not sure it ever sat on a Composite as they have thicker rims....but hey....

Well, aren't those interesting......?

Do you ever ask yourself why you bother?......anyway, lights.......here's a couple of commercial torch straps for holding Broccoli ....just testing.....TORCHES!!!!!!

Tacgear-made single loop of elastic with hoops each side for stuff, velcro front and back for badges and (more stuff) and reflector patches too.....

....and whilst your excitement levels are now higher than ever, here's yet another torch holding strap....but this one's green...

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

It has odd hooks which I can only really get to slide onto a Mk7 rim....3 of them...and the torch hoops are fixed to the front

Now, you can all go and rest or read those posts about Fliegerhapanstanstien Award und Happyclappyfaceundhausen badges.....

?

Cheers Adrian have been away from the PC for a couple of days the Princeton Tec light for attaching to the Arch Rail system is still on my wants list and I will have to drag out and photograph a couple of my Petzel headlights over the next few days and although you have posted one above I do have a few of the Surefire IR strobe/lights on different helmets I will post up a couple anyway just for giggles...

Regards Mark

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast