Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying helmet

Article about: Hello! I stumbled across this helmet and cannot figure out what and where it's from, I scoured Spanish helmets because of that bracket in the front but the helmet has a different appearance

?

Default Help identifying helmet

Help identifying helmetHelp identifying helmet

Hello! I stumbled across this helmet and cannot figure out what and where it's from, I scoured Spanish helmets because of that bracket in the front but the helmet has a different appearance than what I can find, any help would be greatly appreciated!

That is a strange thing. This is not metal, is it. It does resemble both the Spanish M26 and M38 Eibar, and the Netherlands M27, but certainly is not any of them. Looking at the very simple chinstrap and liner thinking the whole think may be plastic, my guess is some kind of parade or reenactor helmet, certainly not a genuine military or even civil service one. Definately not seen one of these before. Where did you get i?

?

Thank you for the reply, I spotted it online and have just been very curious as to what it is, I've been looking at parade and prototype helmets and haven't seen it anywhere so it is quite a weird piece. I'll continue to search and let you know if I spot it.

?

Interesting that it has the detail of the badge clip on the front makes me think it’s an original shell, also forward rivet doesn’t look to have any purpose so may be filling an original hole. The rubber bumper could be disguising the original form.

I don’t think it can be a parade helmet, this model was obsolete well before the rubber edging and line material was common.

Movie prop maybe?

Steve

?

It's on eBay, seller description is worth reading for a laugh, the only useful points that it mentions a steel shell.

Originally a World War 2 era design rejected by the H-man himself, the Soviets later picked it up and rolled it out to the East German Army. Just like the Berlin wall, these helmets are just as iconic and closely associated with the people who guarded it. A solid steel shell with gentle slopes - quite nice when laying prone as its pretty hard to dig one into your neck! The helmet straps firmly to your head and has a Canvas yoke backed with sponge to cushion your head from knocks.

Trust the DDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik) to keep things rugged and incredibly simple! Add one of these to your collection today.

Steve.
    Last edited by Tinhat; 08-02-2023 at 04:05 PM.

If it's steel, and taking the bracket into consideration, then it looks to me like it's a Spanish M26 or M38 that someone has been creative with in recent years.

Strange pot ...

somehow similar ...
    espfoz79b

Quote by Reibert View Post
    Strange pot ...

somehow similar ...
    espfoz79b
    VERY similar - the addition of the edging and the angle of the photo don't help, but it could well be an Spanish M42. The image makes it look narrower and longer than the rather round-loooking M42. I've saved and enlarged the photo and I can't see the vent hole, which is present on the examples Joseba shows (which I have never really noticed before) and that's an element of doubt. And that his phoros show examples with normal liners and straps.

Joseba's note reads -

"The trial of adding a thick protective bead of rubberized material was limited to a few groups. They were intended for some motorized units of B.M.R. to prevent injuries among soldiers during rough driving. Different, much finer and more discreet beads proliferated, which protected the sharp edge of the helmets in order to avoid the premature deterioration of the camouflage covers, but always with an unregulated nature. The beads for troops transferred in BMR were markedly grooved, adjusting perfectly to the entire perimeter of the hull."

On that basis the might (might) be some truth in the idea it is actually a parade helmet of some sort, with a more comfortable liner and simpler strap. Nothing is impossible, only unlikely.

Great spot. Reibert!

My thoughts are a helmet shell of Spanish origin as stated in the above comments that's been converted into a biker helmet in more recent times ,you see a lot of the WW2 German esque biker DOT approved helmets online although i have never seen a military helmet having being used before now and the manufacture of the helmet does seem to have been quite professionally carried out
    Regards James

The liner is reminiscent of the Indian M1-clones......but if it's a modern replacement I guess it would be!