Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

inside the UK Mk7

Article about: The devil makes work for idle hands, or, the enquiring mind strikes again. Despite having a woefully inadequate toolkit I decided it was time to get a look inside a Mk7. As you probably know

Default inside the UK Mk7

The devil makes work for idle hands, or, the enquiring mind strikes again. Despite having a woefully inadequate toolkit I decided it was time to get a look inside a Mk7. As you probably know the main fixing of the liner is those unobtainable rubber rivets, so for this moment this is a trip with no way home. I know from experience - and the ARRSE forums - that the simple way of getting the rivets loose is cutting them flush at the surface and pulling them out from inside with pliers. This time I tried (not for the first time) punching them through with a blunted nail powered by a heavy hammer. To my surprise this actually worked - the first time it has. Of course getting them back in again is still impossible, you need the whole unused uncut rivet to refit the liner. Anyway, here's a Before and After and a pic of a removed rivet, shown with one of the four complete ones I managed to obtain some years ago -

inside the UK Mk7 inside the UK Mk7 inside the UK Mk7

And here is the moulding in the crown, very hard to read even with Mk1 Eyeball, virtually impossible in this photograph; nothing really meaningful other than an L for Large and a string of numbers which are part of an NSN number, not even a manufacturers logo. But then as you can see in the picture of the label, no maker is given there either. If we didn't *know* it was NP (now Morgan Composites) we'd never know. If you see what I mean. The label is sited in a place hard to see never mind photograph - the rear strap fixing has to be removed (with improper tools) to get a good view of it. I've included a pic of the rear strap nut&bolt for the sake of completism...

inside the UK Mk7 inside the UK Mk7 inside the UK Mk7

Now some general views of the liner and interior; the liner is still attached to the shell by a strap I didn't want to remove at the moment. It is folded back over the rear or the helmet, so the part nearest the crown on the inside is actually the rear of the liner, and the green strap is the one I didn't take off. The front of the liner has one of three pieces of Velcro still stuck to it, the others being still affixed to the shell.

inside the UK Mk7 inside the UK Mk7 inside the UK Mk7 inside the UK Mk7inside the UK Mk7 inside the UK Mk7

In the following pictures you can see a vacant hole where one of the rubber rivets was removed (left), and the stub of the other showing (right), also an arrangement where a strip of fabric is looped around the shaft of the rivet between the tiner and shell, this actually supports part of the interior crown net liner adjustment as shown next - see the head of the remaining rivet on the left, and hollow where the other would sit on the right -

inside the UK Mk7 inside the UK Mk7

inside the UK Mk7

All quite fascinating really. Next step, get the hacksaw out and slice a shell through to see what it looks like. Hmm, maybe not quite yet...

A small update on the above; I've got my USB microscope working (having some problems with the software at the moment) and I can now see what the crown moulding says. It is a central 'L' for Large (as was obvious), there is a date (2010), the letters 'NPA' which has to be National Plastics (an unusual version, 'NP' being the more usual) and the numbers '460-1882', which contrary to my guess above, are nothing to do with the NSN number, and I have no idea what they actually mean. Moulding code, I dunno.

greg a fascinating thread and a very brave man to take this on ,i draw the line at doing the same to mine and will leave intact ,so yours shows NP aerospace instead ,thats interesting ,im just wondering now how you have you managed to source those complete rivits ,they are like gold dust ,judging by the sniper tape to tidy the chinstraps yours was an issued helmet ,great work and thanks for sharing ,james

Regarding the rubber rivets (which of course we all know by their stock number - CN8415 99 130 6035 Rivet Mk6 !) James, I have exactly four of them, and they are too valuable as examples to actually use, so any Mk6/6A or 7 that I dismantle will have to stay without its liner fixed until I get some more.

Back in early 2011 I emailed Public Relations at National Plastics and asked about the rivets - specifically was there any way to get any. After a fair bit of back and forth correspondence the fellow I was corresponding with took pity on me and sent me some, probably just to get rid of me really. As far as I know they are produced *only* for the NP helmets and neither sold nor used anywhere else. And believe me I have spent an awful lot of time searching for them. I recently thought I was on to something when I found a man in Berlin who had stocks of pretty much all the NP helmet spare parts, but not the rivets. I've been trying to get some for years, he said...

I keep hoping that one day I will find a table at a militaria show that has bags full of them. I'll buy the lot.

i wonder if we could try making a mould from one ,i bet the thought has also crossed your mind greg ,i shouldn't think it would be too difficult with the right equipment and suitable rivit material that is

Hah, believe me I have seriously thought about a 3D printer, but I don't know whether I could get the right sort of goo to replicate something of the right consistency. However, the way things are progressing something suitable may yet become available.

And yes, I have thought about the simpler process of making a mould (if you look at the object it does have moulding lines laterally so it has to have been made with some sort of intection moulding) but the whole idea fails again due to not having the right material. If anyone has any ideas...

its going to be trial and error greg and i suppose maybe even subject to copyright
    Last edited by James C; 08-26-2015 at 02:09 PM.

460-1882 is part of the NSN for the shell, 8470-99-460-1882 is the full NSN

8470-99-460-1880 Shell, Combat Helmet GS Mk 7 - Small
    8470-99-460-1881 Shell, Combat Helmet GS Mk 7 - Medium
    8470-99-460-1882 Shell, Combat Helmet GS Mk 7 - Large
    8470-99-460-1883 Shell, Combat Helmet GS Mk 7 - Outsize

If anyone knows a friendly Armourer or Storesman you might be able to get some rivets as they should be a non accountable item.