Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Italian Helmet SEPT2

Article about: Morning everyone, it is quite difficult to find Italian composite helmets out of Italy, and there is not much official documentation about them, so it seemed interesting to share some exampl

Default Italian Helmet SEPT2

Morning everyone,
    it is quite difficult to find Italian composite helmets out of Italy, and there is not much official documentation about them, so it seemed interesting to share some examples with you.
    To begin with, I want to show you an example of Mod SEPT2 F.A. (Forze Armate), the Infantry version; there is also a model for Parachutists with shortened back flaps named T.P. (Truppe Paracadutiste).
    This model of helmet, now obsolete, was made in three sizes:
    Tg 1 = Largo
    Tg 2 = Medium
    Tg 3 = Small
    It was the composite material helmet, used in the Italian Army for the longest time, about fifteen years from the mid 90s.
    It resembles the shape of the US PASGT, but is a completely Italian project, made with a kevlar shell attached to a suspension system by eight bolts; adjustable suspension system allows optimization of helmet fit, and is made of a nylon straps sistem and a foam padding with leather covered.
    The chinstrap could be three or four points with plastics fast release buckle marked by the NATO supplier: I.T.W. Nexus.
    The surface of the shell is rough and tinted in opaque olive green and a thick rubber seal runs along the edge of the helmet.
    Two types of cover could be used on these helmets:
    -Woodland type (called "Continentale").
    -Desert type (called "Somalia").

SEPT2 F.A. model was built by various manufacturers:
    -Sistema Compositi
    -Induyco S.A.
    -Riparnavi
    -Tencara
    -RBR Ltd
    -Monfrini

Below are some photos of one of my favorite examples, the one made by Spanish factory "Induyco S.A.", a very well-made realization that was distinguished by the examples of other manufacturers for:
    -The surface finish olive green color lighter than the other productions.
    -Three points chinstrap.

I hope it's interesting.

Regards
    Roberto

Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2

Default SEPT2 F.A.-"Sistema Compositi"

Here is a very interesting operational example of SEPT2 F.A. helmet, in excellent condition, it still has its original cover sealed in place by a rubber band and insulating tape.
    The cover is the one in use in the 90s, "Continentale" type; this configuration was used at home but also during the NATO/IFOR mission in Bosnia in the year 1995-1996.
    The helmet is an example of national production, made by the manufacturer "Sistemi Compositi"; unlike the previous example, on the Sistema Compositi helmets the chinstrap is of the four-point type

Regards
    Roberto

Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2

?

Never seen them before. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Quote by rra227 View Post
    Never seen them before. Rich A. in Pa.
    Well Rich!
    I'm glad to have shown something uncommon.

I'm glad to see you posting some pics - and more importantly - information on these. They are uncommon outside Italy, as you say, but they do appear for sale in the UK fairly regularly. But - and I say this as a composite collector - I find it VERY hard to tell one from another, much more difficult that many other helmets which may seem the same to the casual observer. There's just something about them that makes them all seem the same. And there are a good number of different types too - and the only one I can tell from the others is the one with the leather liner... (it is pitiful...)

It really annoys me - I have tried to educate myself by reading Italian forums (there was one that had a very good thread on many Italian composite types) but my Italian is poor and I lose patience with myself. Please do post anything more you can about any Italian composite. I have a couple and I would like to be able to confidently say what it is I actually have!

One fact I did find out - and this was when my partner Catherine visited Malta a couple of years back - is that the Armed Forces of Malta use Italian compos. That was a surprise.

Hi Greg,
    I am very happy to have been helpful, and what you say is true, Italian kevlar helmets are many models and for each model there are variants, because they were made by many Italian producers but also by foreigners; for example: in UK by RBR Ltd, has produced both the SEPT2 F.A. that the SEPT2 T.P.
    The real problem is the scarcity of official documentation, many of the known information are the fruit of collector's research.
    I still have a lot to discover on these helmets and on some things I have doubts.
    As far as the Maltese Army is concerned, I know that it uses Italian kevlar, I think it is the modern Mod. SEPT2 Plus, but all this is part of a broader context of supply and collaboration, since 1973 a commission of Italian Military Advisors of various specialties resides in Malta with men and means to develop a collaborative defense program.

Malta - MICCD (Missione Italiana di Collaborazione nel Campo della Difesa) - Difesa.it

Regards
    Roberto

Very nice design and not a helmet I'm all too familiar with so thanks for sharing your fine examples Roberto

Quote by James C View Post
    Very nice design and not a helmet I'm all too familiar with so thanks for sharing your fine examples Roberto
    Thank you for appreciating James,
    I'm glad to have shown you a little known helmet.

Hello everyone,
    I have just joined this forum, I would like to specify that to shed light on the production of military helmets in kevlar for the Italian Army, it is crazy.
    According to what I would have been able to rebuild, there is a first production of helmets by the companies: Tecnofibre tf.91 and Presicce manifatture, of helmets without the overhang. Then we move on to the models produced by the Cassoni Cork Factory where the SEPT 1 and SEPT2 models begin to be defined, which differ: mod. 1 lines slightly accentuated at the height of the ear flap flap (more similar to normal helmets, less fritz) mod. 2 more similar to the American fritz as a whole. But also of this 2 versions: Low and High, the High one covers more the neck, made on request COL MOSCHIN.
    acquired the denomination, SEPT 2 officially becomes the helmet of the Armed Forces, and starts production of a further model for finishes by the companies Monfrini, Riparnavi and Tencara, this helmet is all without edges with all the most rounded parts, and view a ballistic test on You Tube .... of very low ballistic strength.
    At this point, the Compositi System production begins, which in the meantime has acquired Sugherificio Cassoni, which produces the helmets until, probably for European contracts, the races first win the RBR (now LBA) then Induyco sache will produce it, also leaving their place in Sesthan BUSH.
    Then you go back to the Composites System which starts supplying the SEPT "PLUS or" three screws "model which has three fixing screws
    suspensions to the kevlar shell, and finally a new chin strap system !!, as with the previous ones you risked strangling yourself.
    today it seems that the last call for the supply of helmets had the Harmour source with helmets that have the suspension system with pad chin strap attached with Velcro inside, shell without screws.

missing photos and dates but believe me it is a mess to be able to understand something ........
    I await any further information, welcome to dissolve this tangled skein.

greetings to all
    Last edited by vulcan 65; 07-07-2020 at 03:59 PM.

I've always thought that the shape of this one was very RBR-esque

Italian Helmet SEPT2Italian Helmet SEPT2

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast