Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Modern British Para helmet, Falklands conversion. Some help needed.

Article about: (First time on this forum but it seemed like a good place to share and ask about helmet related things) I recently bought a second pattern British Para helmet in rather nice condition off eB

Default Modern British Para helmet, Falklands conversion. Some help needed.

(First time on this forum but it seemed like a good place to share and ask about helmet related things)

I recently bought a second pattern British Para helmet in rather nice condition off eBay for a decent price, and i intend to scrim it up as best i can in Falklands fashion. However I mean to inquire about a few key things that the better informed on this forum would be able to help me with before doing this.

Modern British Para helmet, Falklands conversion. Some help needed. Modern British Para helmet, Falklands conversion. Some help needed.

The helmet was bought with a scrimmed up MTP cover, however i was unsure about the size as the seller did not know and the label that would say this had been ripped out.

So i took the liner out to look for the markings on the shell and found it was marked with an L (i presume this means that this is a large) and found it dated as 2008. Judging by the date on the helmet and the MTP cover that came with it i presume that this was a later war Afghan helmet.

However what is strange is that the cover is marked outsize. Would this mean that outsize covers fit large helmets just fine, or does this mean that I have an outsize helmet and not a large?

it also came with a MK6 style chinstrap, which i have read is not uncommon for solders to do being that the MK6 strap is far more simple to use and also a good way to hide the fact that you are using a Para helmet if you are an infantryman.

I took out the chinstrap loops (not sure what the proper name is) as they had started to rust and this was spreading to the straps so have to replace these. Not sure where to get replacements for these loops. I do have one brand new Para helmet from 2009 size small, but I don’t want to use the loops from this as would make the new helmet incomplete.

However apart from the rusty loops the helmet is in very good condition. Now I intend to take this helmet back in time and looking like a proper helmet from 82, but am unsure of a few things. There also seem to be a few options to go for as well from looking at pictures of Para’s from 82.

I am possibly aiming for a look kind of like this, except with the addition of a DPM cover and probably using black tape instead of the rubber band, as have heard that many solders did indeed just use a bit of tape on their helmets.

Getting British DPM helmet covers is easy as they are sold regularly on eBay, however the issue with this is they are the modern style with the elastic bands attached to them. I don't believe these where used in 82 but have seen many Para’s with DPM covers on their helmets just without the bands. Not sure if they had specific helmets covers back then or where just strapping on some DPM fabric onto their helmets. Alternatively I may just buy a new style cover and cut the bands off.

I am not that concerned about 100 percent historical accuracy, but do want it to at least look right.

Tips on how I should go about setting the helmet up the right way, different helmet set ups and what bits to buy as well as where to get them would all be very welcome.

...so many questions.....not sure where to start....

Falklands was used as a big testing ground for kit...including its believed the "new" Mk6 so its highly unlikely that any plastic Para lid had a Mk6 strap like in the later years...in fact early trials Mk6 had single straps

Earlier Para lids had light coloured brow pads....but you may not be worried about that

Cover sizes - if it fits, it'll be used

Your MTP cover doesn't look like it ever left the barracks let alone reached Afghan

DPM covers can be stripped of the elastic for effect......or a section of DPM can be cut to shape and held in place by a net and edging ...or a sand bag could be used (cut to size/shape)...either a wide rubber band or black tape

Smooth / shiny plastic Para shells preceded the later stippled versions...but that won't matter if you're putting a cover on it

...to clarify...you're looking to have an item which EXTERNALLY looks like a Falklands-used Para lid right?

- - ------- - -

Sorry...but I missed the all-important Welcome to War Relics!

Quote by Composite View Post
    ...so many questions.....not sure where to start....

Falklands was used as a big testing ground for kit...including its believed the "new" Mk6 so its highly unlikely that any plastic Para lid had a Mk6 strap like in the later years...in fact early trials Mk6 had single straps

Earlier Para lids had light coloured brow pads....but you may not be worried about that

Cover sizes - if it fits, it'll be used

Your MTP cover doesn't look like it ever left the barracks let alone reached Afghan

DPM covers can be stripped of the elastic for effect......or a section of DPM can be cut to shape and held in place by a net and edging ...or a sand bag could be used (cut to size/shape)...either a wide rubber band or black tape

Smooth / shiny plastic Para shells preceded the later stippled versions...but that won't matter if you're putting a cover on it

...to clarify...you're looking to have an item which EXTERNALLY looks like a Falklands-used Para lid right?

- - ------- - -

Sorry...but I missed the all-important Welcome to War Relics!
    Thak you for the reply.

Yes im only going for the External look. Not that bothered about nit picking or getting it 100 percent right (and with a cover on it would be hard to tell anyway). For example i know that the early versions of these helmets had a completely different chinstrap on them but im happy to keep the Mk6 one. Really im just trying to cover it like Falklands standards even if its not, as if someone literally took a modern Para lid and took it back in time to 82 with them. Just so that it looks the part and period even if its not.

Greeting Armo and a warm welcome to the forum and hope to hear more from you in the future I still need to add one of these later parachutist helmets myself so my own train of thought would be to maybe add the correct chinstrap and cover for this later model but as you are keen to use this example as Falklands Conflict representation for display or maybe reenacting perhaps who am i to argue ..yours externally look identical in profile to its predecessors i would suggest adding either the nylon para chinstrap which did see use or maybe an earlier HSAT chinstrap also seen in use alongside the vinyl straps too ,Finding an original two horizontal foliage banding cover is really hard to do but would say your best bet would be to pick up a 68 Pattern DPM jacket hood which are readily available,Kind Regards James Modern British Para helmet, Falklands conversion. Some help needed.Modern British Para helmet, Falklands conversion. Some help needed.

Greeting Armo and a warm welcome to the forum and hope to hear more from you in the future I still need to add one of these later parachutist helmets myself so my own train of thought would be to maybe add the correct chinstrap and cover for this later model but as you are keen to use this example as Falklands Conflict representation for display or maybe reenacting perhaps who am i to argue ..yours externally look identical in profile to its predecessors i would suggest adding either the nylon para chinstrap which did see use or maybe an earlier HSAT chinstrap also seen in use alongside the vinyl straps too ,Finding an original two horizontal foliage banding cover is really hard to do but would say your best bet would be to pick up a 68 Pattern DPM jacket hood which are readily available,Kind Regards James

Thank you for the advice, I shall keep it all in mind. If i buy a 68 hood would i just wrap this round the helmet or would i need to modify it a bit? Also any chance of knowing where i could buy new loops for the chinstraps to replace my rusty ones?

The desired Falklands look for the helmet is complete for the most part. I got a 68 pattern hood and a helmet net off eBay and just fitted it all together best I could.

The hood was a pain in the arse to fit properly, but I managed it even if there are some unwanted folds. Now i just need to find some new helmet chinstrap fittings and it will be complete.

Modern British Para helmet, Falklands conversion. Some help needed. Modern British Para helmet, Falklands conversion. Some help needed. Modern British Para helmet, Falklands conversion. Some help needed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Modern British Para helmet, Falklands conversion. Some help needed.   Modern British Para helmet, Falklands conversion. Some help needed.  

Modern British Para helmet, Falklands conversion. Some help needed.   Modern British Para helmet, Falklands conversion. Some help needed.  

Last edited by Armo1000; 03-01-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Really looking the part now armo ,nice tidy job of fitting the hood and cover ,thanks for the updated pictures
    Kind regards James

Looks really good with the hood used as a cover which was done and the net and tape.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.