Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Para helmet

Article about: Hello everyone. I'm posting pics of one of my para lightweight helmets. I shall try and post pics of the others but to be honest this one is the most interesting. I'm relatively new to helme

?

Default Para helmet

Hello everyone.
    I'm posting pics of one of my para lightweight helmets.
    I shall try and post pics of the others but to be honest this one is the most interesting.
    I'm relatively new to helmet collecting and have what would be considered a 'starter collection '.
    I have learned a huge amount from this forum and more importantly have received help and advice which is much appreciated.
    James C has kindly donated the hood, band and net to finish off this helmet. ( he also explained how awkward it would be to actually get the hood on- he wasn't wrong!!!!)
    Thank you James for your kindness, and I hope the finished result is ok!
    When I purchased this helmet , it came with a MK6 chin strap which I've changed . I am not sure if the chin strap that I've put in is of the right epoch , so any comments would be welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Para helmet   Para helmet  

Para helmet   Para helmet  

A nice helmet, but why change the chinstrap? The chinstrap was more than likely the one that was originally fitted to the helmet, so now you have a helmet that isn't in its original 'as-worn' configuration!

Cheers,
    Steve

Nice lid and i think they came with a couple of chin strap options, this is one type.
    British Lightweight Para Helmet With Vinyl Chinstraps

?

I still have the MK6 chin strap and it'll be easy to replace. It wouldn't of been issued with it and I've not seen another early one with one.
    It doesn't really for the bill of the age of this helmet by what I've been told by an ex airborne mate of mine ( who's latter helmet is fitted with one by himself)
    But quite happy to be proved wrong- that's why I'm here!

?

..... And thanks for the link Gunny!

British Parachute helmet
    This is the other type of strap, which seems very similar to the one you fitted.

Nice early Para Lightweight Bendy
    You did well stripping this one down as the Helmet liner bolts offered some resistance on mine and i think i had to use two flat head screwdrivers to get them to budge ,The shell looks to be a Permali Gloucester LTD manufactured example same as my example and also my liner Shows the Thetford Moulded Products Limited label like yours .
    It could well of originally had the Vinyl Chinstraps and there are a few examples out there with the Earlier HSAT straps as well as the more commonly found Green webbing type you have fitted here
    Thanks for posting up Before and after pics and the finished results with adding the camo /Net/Band combination looks Great
    Regards James

?

Thanks James, it was a two screwdriver job, being careful not to scratch it.
    I was pleased to find the label on the inside of the shell as I haven't taken it apart before. I also found some scratches on the inside of the helmet, which I now believe to be from the original 'owner' using a sharp object to get the cover between the helmet and liner.
    The photos are never great with the tablet I use, so I take my hat off to you for being able to read the manufacturers labels!
    Is it quite common for the Thetford/ permali combination?

Great stuff Bendy ,There are a few Permali /Thetford examples out there but not certain on the amount though, here is an interesting link to Greg's Site that will be of interest to you ,Greg as you may already know is an active member of this Forum Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets UNITED KINGDOM, UK HELMETS, BRITISH helmet, Kevlar helmet
    Regards James

a shame after going to the trouble of stripping it down you could not take in focus pics of the stickers, would have been useful to see the makers and the dates if any.

is it missing the rear strap mount?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast