Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

RA195 and the Brit Mk6

Article about: Firstly I apologise for starting the 15th thread on the same helmet.....Jees, why dont we just bolt stuff about the same lid onto the previous post???...oh well, when in Rome...... So I'm su

Default RA195 and the Brit Mk6

Firstly I apologise for starting the 15th thread on the same helmet.....Jees, why dont we just bolt stuff about the same lid onto the previous post???...oh well, when in Rome......

So I'm sure you're all familiar with the ol' RA195.....no, the RA196 is the muffler bracket for a '59 Pinto....the RA195 is the headset which fits in/on the Brit Mk6. It's an interesting set up...the "cans" are shaped to fit inside the lid and the external strap pulls them tight to the helmet rim and holds them in place...all the wiring cubbins (technical term) is in a loom which effectively goes around the nape area. The mike is adjustable. Apparently this set works...so if anyone else has got one just message me when you're plugged in and give me a shout.......

RA195 and the Brit Mk6

We use these on the tanks when we do shows but I've only recently managed to get one.....'think it makes quite an interesting display...and lets be honest, anything that makes the Mk6 look interesting can't be all bad.

But this has to be the most stupid of purchases....as the ol' Mk6 sat happily there on a shelf with his brothers and sisters....now it's too bleedin' big for the same shelf so it's heard the bell toll......lets see how good it looks sealed in a box for the next 15 years all for getting too big for it's.....errrr.....shelf.

I'm looking forward to the next 5 new threads ABOUT THE SAME HELMET!!!!! :-)

I've been inundated with hundreds of requests for head-on (rather than on-head....see what I did there?) shots.....

I was thinking about starting two new threads for these....one for each pic....and then I could do a third for the words

RA195 and the Brit Mk6RA195 and the Brit Mk6

...so here you are.....and yes, I know I have to tape his dangly bits up.....

OK so it's just another plastic helmet with some old cloth covering it and a bit of wire attached.....work with me here guys........oh, and Hitler had one just like it....

Roger that Ade ,so that's the name of this contraption ,had mine a while now but seeing as you have shown yours also have an example of the previous head set too but thats beside the point RA195 and the Brit Mk6RA195 and the Brit Mk6

well, that opened a can of worms that I really wish I could reseal, weld closed, seal in concrete, poison all the worms, irradiate, bury and leave well alone!

I started to look into the different style of headsets used with helmets...and the radios...and the microphones ("mic")...and then the vehicles and sets they plugged into...and the history.....

Now firstly, the following needs to be read/reviewed by someone...anyone who actually KNOWS about this stuff...it should also be read in a particular style...this style can be defined as:-

- an irritating nasal-voice
    - hands placed firmly on hips, torso leaning backwards slightly
    - eyes flickering between half-closed and actually closed throughout the entire delivery
    - a knowing, somewhat patronising, slow head movement from side-to-side throughout
    - a glib lips-tightly-pressed-together smile when conversation finishes

Firstly all sets seem to come with and without Mics...the latter being referred to as "Monitor" sets. There seems to be two product names - Clansman and Bowman. There seems to be an almost endless supply of styles and shapes ranging from great big chunky earphones to slim elastic-held single earphones. The boom Mics vary. Heatsets were used inside vehicles, outside vehicles, squaddie to squaddie. Handsets might be used instead of attached boom Mics and throat Mic versions also exist. Handsets vary to include wired telephones types. But this is a HELMET post so lets stick with what we THINK we have here. I THINK James has a Clansman Headset in his second pic (this isn't to be confused with the Klansman radio...thats a very different bit of kit)..NSN 5965-99-649-8166...which I THINK was used between '76-'04 - James, do know? oh and it looks like neither of us have the ol' NSN 5965-99-620-8320....but that's obvious right? I've been told that my set is from the Bowman range ("late type" too....apparently...though I'm struggling to confirm this). ...and don't get me started on Land Rover, Rapier, AFV etc etc etc....

Now, this may all seem a tad dull to you (it's boring the t!ts off me!) but what I'm trying to establish is WHEN certain headset types were deployed and what helmets they fitted (there must be a helmet shape consideration...and it's highly unlikely that the Army designed headsets for helmets which hadn't yet been designed). One of our lads throws a set over a Mk6 and drives a Scorp...he doesn't wear the traditional AFV crew lid...but that's all because he CAN...and that set-up closely mirrors mine...but is it accurate??. Now, this isn't going to be made any easier by the fact that we still haven't tied down definitive start and end dates for the Composites the British Army have worn since '83...or is that '84?...not counting Lion Heart of course....

So, four questions:-

1) Which headset was worn MOSTLY with Mk6?
    2) Which headset was worn MOSTLY with Mk6A?
    3) Which headset was worn with Mk7? [pretty sure this is the one-eared elastic strapped one with Mic (NOT it's official designation!])
    4) Does anyone give a toss?

This is a "DAF" (dull as ....) posting....at a time of year when NO-ONE posts stuff..........I expect it to drop down the "New Posts" list like sh!t through a goose and never get a reply.....let's see......

I found the following external thread quite interesting...particularly re Tank/AFV crew lids if you're into that stuff......oh there's stuff about wires and soldering and stuff there too British Army AFV crew Helmets - Clothing/uniforms - HMVF - Historic Military Vehicles Forum

Firstly after you creating my headache trying to read a big arsed novel here! Nice!
    And my head hurts dumb arsed question... M44 US goggles?

...yep, that’s an odd one isn’t it...they came directly from a serving Brit soldier....he swore by them.

Quote by Composite View Post
    ...yep, that’s an odd one isn’t it...they came directly from a serving Brit soldier....he swore by them.
    Interesting Cheers they'd be the '75 mfg yes? and now I can whack a set on my UK kit

“75 mfg yes” ? Are you some kind of headset radio geek?! I have no idea matey.....they’ve one single tinted eye piece, green elastic strap...and they came from my mate...that’s all I know.

Are these things date-able then?

Spose we/me have too many toys to see all details hey! yes they are date able.
    And I got it wrong '74

Thanks mate....never really focussed on goggles before. You’ve really made me think now about US-made Brit-used goggles....really???..I may even try to track my old mate down and ask him...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast