Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rabintex Orlite 201

Article about: Hi all.. Still sorting through this years haul from this years War & Peace!!.. Picked up this nice salty Orlite 201.... Ex Israeli... then later used with the Irish Defence Forces..(from

Default Rabintex Orlite 201

Hi all..

Still sorting through my haul from this years War & Peace!!..

Picked up this nice salty Orlite 201.... Ex Israeli... then later used with the Irish Defence Forces..(from one IDF to another!!)

The original Israeli stickers in Hebrew are still visible.... conveniently still in place after a half-hearted attempt to scrape the old labels off...and can be clearly seen under the Irish issue stickers!!! (see pics)
    when I picked it up from the stallholders table it had the early olive cover...(I picked up the Irish woodland cover from another trader .....later on....)

Now.....as i removed the olive cover, to try my new Woodland one on....for fit... I was greeted with an unexpected surprise!!!...a helmet net matrix, held on with black tape!!..im guessing... Irish Defence force added!????

I really like the history of this new addition to my collection!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rabintex Orlite 201   Rabintex Orlite 201  

Rabintex Orlite 201   Rabintex Orlite 201  

Hmm. That's interesting, I had no idea that some of the helmets supplied to Ireland were actually second hand, I believed that it had been a simple contract for new out of the factory stock. Bloody hell, remember when these Irish-issue helmets were fantastically rare, and people would pay real money for the Irish camo? Seems both like yesterday and a long time back.

Hi Greg
    That's funny..as I was under the impression, that all the Irish issued Orlites.......... we're refurbed Israeli issued helmets!!???

Luckily for me..I've only recently been looking to add some Irish kit to my collection...
    So guess the old addage is true!!!!.."all good things, do come to those that wait"!!!!......

in the end..

That wasn’t the £20 one was it? I went back to buy that and it’d gone.......

Nice find Paul love that OD cover and Agree with Greg as i too find it interesting to see an cross over example that wasn't made specifically for export but instead shows it had a previous life in the IDF The net and tape combo is most definitely Defence Forces Ireland and IMHO would be it's initial mid 80's guise ,if you don't mind here's my example to add to the thread Rabintex Orlite 201
    Regards James

Hi all...

Compo... erm....it may well have been..but as I bought several items from the same seller..he offered a bundle price for all!!! ..but I reckoned on about £20-25 ...was for the helmet!!!...sorry about that!!!.....the same guy also had an ACH helmet..but he wanted £200 for it!!...so that stayed with him!!!

James..Thanks for posting your example..and your luvverly Vickers too!!!......yes the olive Mk6 type cover, was what caught my eye!! (as I was mainly looking for interesting MK6 helmets, covers) then when I flipped it over... the orlite helmet looked very cool!!. and the price was good....other traders were asking £75-85..and in much worse condition too!!!! ..but the net underneath...well that was just a very pleasant surprise!!!

Now..... it seems ..... I have a dilemma .. re-fit the olive cover...stick with the PF cover (as I really kinda like it like that.. on display).......or go back to the 80's stylee net and tape!!!???....

Ummm ...that..... and/or try to pick up a nice Israeli cover!!!???

As any, or all would have been correct at some stage in its interesting life!!!

needless to say..im rather pleased with my little Irish haul!!!...

decisions, decisions!!!

Thanks Paul ,personally i would go back to it's original guise with the netting /pvc tape combo ,if you scroll down the page on the link provided you will see other examples like yours from around the mid 80's time period Irish Army Stock Photos & Irish Army Stock Images - Alamy
    Regards James

Thanks for the link James..
    Unfortunately the net matrix hasn't been fitted well..with some severe sagging and folding evident...
    I could re-fit it...with new black tape..but I would rather leave it original.... plus I still need something to put my olive or woodland covers on!!...until I pick up more examples..perhaps in the future