Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Schuberth helmets - some related questions

Article about: I have been thinking about Schuberth helmets. This has all been occasioned by the surprise purchase of a couple of Swiss composites, both by Schuberth, one a trials version and the other the

Default Schuberth helmets - some related questions

I have been thinking about Schuberth helmets. This has all been occasioned by the surprise purchase of a couple of Swiss composites, both by Schuberth, one a trials version and the other the standard all-arms issue. This was a surprise because these are very uncommon helmets and also because I was amazed I actually had the spare cash when I needed it. Anyway, happiness reigns in the home of this collector of Swiss helmets (it is a proud and lonely thing, outside of Switzerland anyway...)

So there I am faffing around with my new Swiss 826 Schweiz and doing a bit of background seaching and rapidly discovered there were things that completely baffled me. For example –

1 - Has the 826 ceased production? The current Schuberth webpage (Military - SCHUBERTH ) shows only three police/civil helmets and two military - these later are the 828 para helmet and an '828 Tactical Cut' which is what it sounds like, a cut-down 828 looking like one of those ghastly American things. No sign of the 826 at all.
    The Wikipedia article on the 826 - Gefechtshelm M92 - Wikipedia - seems to assert the were plans (in 2015!) to replace the 826 in Bundeswehr service. Is this true?
    Some investigation via the Wayback Machine seems to show that until December of 2019 the 826, the Swiss 826 export model and two models developed with 3M (the 3M ULW-BBH and 3M Combat II) were all featured along with the two presently on the webpages. Frankly, I dunno, boss.

2 - What happened to Induyco? This is/was the Spanish company which collaborated with Schuberth in the earlier days of the 826. Now all I can find is a clothing/fashion company of the same name. This can't be right surely.

3 - What does NOSHA mean? I'm talking about the plastic moulded liners first encountered in the Schuberth 826, and always referred to in Schuberth literature as 'NOSHA', always all caps so it must be an acronym for something. I've searched and searched and found nothing. There are various 'NOSHA' usually involved in Safety and Health but none of them obviously related.

OK, I have more or less solved this, but I'm keeping the question alive in the event someone might be able to add anything. I got a sort-of resolution from two sources; a forum posting by German collector Harald Huelsemann back in 2007 included
    "...liner which is used in the B826 the so called NOSHA "Noppenschalenversion". I am afraid there is no real translation for this word (maybe a native English speaking person can help me out). "Noppen" means tubes, "Schalen" means shell so it might be something like: `Tubeshellversion'"

Lots of web-searching for ‘Noppenschalenversion’ gets nowhere unless you change it to Google's suggestion of 'Noppenschaum' whereupon you get results covering that sort of egg-boxy acoustic foam that looks like rows of Dragons Teeth tank barriers. Working on this clue I went with a heavy heart to my German edition of Baer (my Technical German is useless and all those CAPITALS..oh my...) and find in Band 2 page 199 something that translates sort-of to

"So in April 90 the preliminary decision for the difficult one was made Combat helmet based on aramid / phenolic resin as the optimal solution with regard to the military demand and thus the decision for the combat helmet B 826 from Schuberth Helmets in the above composition. As the best interior the nubs shell version NOSHA with head ring, spider and plastic net from Schuberth Helme selected. In January 91, the helmet was certified to be environmentally compatible. Technical development was completed in September 91"

So unless someone tells me different I am believing NOSHA is an acronym based on a word coined in Schuberth to describe their own own-brand liner system.

And something other - after the Hanau terrorist attack I saw a number of pics of German police wearing a somewhat conical helmet rather like the DDR M56. I have an idea this was identified properly somewhere some years back but lost in webnesia. Do you have any idea what it is? See attached pic.

Schuberth helmets - some related questions

Wow, loads of interest in this, Yeah. But don't let dissuade you from joining in, after all we're a long way from the approximately fifteen metres of printed paper and dozens of websites on the Nazi-era helmets. More info yet to be found. For example -

1 -No clear idea at all whether the 826 is out of production and/or out of service. It certainly isn't on the current Schuberth webpage, but I have found nothing to say it is definately being replaced in Bundewehr service. Or any any other country it was sold to. However (is it not always thus?) I have a reference (undated but on the 3M Deutchland website)- Losungen fur die Bundeswehr | 3M in Deutschland - claiming that the 826 will be replaced by a 3M helmet (the ULW-BBH N49) which could well be the one tagged as 3M ULW-BBH on the Schuberth website in 2019 (not there now in 2020). That's about all I have found that makes any sense.

2 - What happened to INDUYCO, indeed. After a substantial period producing the first four marks of the Spanish MARTE helmet and thier involvement with Schuberth on the 826, INDUYCO see to have vanished as a brand-name entity some time in the early 2000s. INDUYCO was a Spanish concern also known as Industrias y Confecciones and dealt primarily with textiles and clothing. At that time they had an outstation in Munich which probably no longer exists. INDUYCO were part of and later completely subsumed into another Spanish company, El Corte Inglés, who are huge in clothing and department stores, so whatever elements of INDUYCO remain are probably in-house clothing manufacturing now. No live trace of INDUYCO presently on the web - that I can find anyway. I have found no current references to them being engaged with military equipment of any kind.

3 - NOSHA turns out to be an entirely in-house name for the Schuberth lining used in the 826, and probably on license, in some other European compos, One or two of you (and I mean that most sincerely) may be interested to know that on Google Patents (which I had never heard of before last week) there is a patent document for the NOSHA liner. See here -

EP0423379A1 - Military protective helmet
    - Google Patents

and download the PDF for more and better. Exciting, eh!?!?! Even if the word 'NOSHA' does not appear anywhere. Some other interesting helmet material if you search,

And that rather M56-looking polizei compo - it is probably likely maybe a Hoplit C 1200 manufactured by Ulbrichts - Products | Ulbrichts GmbH Not a great photo of it on their current website, but older versions (go to the Internet Archive now!) show something very similar to the original query photo.

So. Does anyone know the present status of the 826 within the German military? Have they been replaced by one of those half-cut helmets (I know that's not the right term but it makes me laugh...) Observation shows they're quite popular in Ukraine at the moment, along with a substantial number of ex-Russian examples. Which are probably better than for example the Dutch M53 in this day and age.

Hello,

1) yes i think the production of the 826 has been stopped. The existing stocks are still being overhauled and applied.

There is a new helmet:

https://www.bundeswehr.de/de/aktuell...fuellt-5068144

220,000 helmets have been ordered to date.

Zwischen- oder Dauerlosung: Bundeswehr gibt Beauftragung von 205.000 „Gefechtshelmen Spezialkrafte schwer“ bekannt

2) NOSHA means: "Noppen-Schock absorbierend" = nubs shock absorbing

Regards

Thaks for that, S. very useful information, happy to have it!

The first link works now too

But this helmet is only an interim solution until the "Gefechtshelm SK (Streitkräfte)" its ready.

The end of the 826?.....another one bites the dust.......