Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

SF CTT Helmet Used By Royal Navy/ Marines

Article about: Hi all. Picked this up in Plymouth at the weekend as I don't have one in the collection. Condition could be better but I like the fact that it has seen some use. Appears to have been used by

Default SF CTT Helmet Used By Royal Navy/ Marines

Hi all. Picked this up in Plymouth at the weekend as I don't have one in the collection. Condition could be better but I like the fact that it has seen some use. Appears to have been used by the Royal Navy as the abbreviation PO (AWW) seems to stand for Petty Officer (Above Water Weapons). Not sure if this rank would apply to the Royal Marines as well? I have not been able to find any pics of these in use by the RN. If anyone knows anything more I would be interested to hear it. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SF CTT Helmet Used By Royal Navy/ Marines   SF CTT Helmet Used By Royal Navy/ Marines  

SF CTT Helmet Used By Royal Navy/ Marines   SF CTT Helmet Used By Royal Navy/ Marines  

SF CTT Helmet Used By Royal Navy/ Marines   SF CTT Helmet Used By Royal Navy/ Marines  

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Appears to have been used by the Royal Navy as the abbreviation PO (AWW) seems to stand for Petty Officer (Above Water Weapons).
    Nice find of an unusual lid. Easy to mistake for a Mk6A!

You are correct that the PO marking indicates RN use. The Royal Marines use the same ranks as the Army and do not have Petty Officers. The fact that it is marked to an appointment rather than an individual suggests to me that it was an item of unit stores used by whoever held the appointment rather than a personal issue item. I would expect this to have been worn in circumstances such as aboard a ships RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat) when deployed from the ship usually at sea. It is also possible that there could be an SBS connection too.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks for that. The seller did mention something about it being used on RIBs but I never take what a seller tells me at face value so good to have a second opinion on that.