Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Spanish MARTE series.

Article about: I recently spent some time trying to properly comprehend the Spanish M65 series of helmets. That was a relative success and I created a Spotters Guide that may well be accurate (more or less

Default The Spanish MARTE series.

I recently spent some time trying to properly comprehend the Spanish M65 series of helmets. That was a relative success and I created a Spotters Guide that may well be accurate (more or less). So I then turned to the Marte, a helmet series that is in its way equally confusing. I knocked up another Spotters Guide which is a bit more provisional, as the information is sometimes contradictory and is mostly in Spanish (thank you Google, for Translate).

Here are my provisional notes. I am covering only the obvious Martes 1, 2 and 3 and the most identifiable subtypes; there may be - are - other subtypes about which I know little or nothing. In fact I think I have one, an object which does not conform to anything in my notes. (NB I have mostly followed Joseba's ( FICHA COMPLEMENTARIA ) numerical classifications here).

Ideally I would like to see a flood of additions and corrections. I would not be surprised to have it shown that many of my ideas are wrong - but then we'll *all* be better informed!

MARTE 1 85-86
    TEXTURED SURFACE
    ONE PIECE CHINSTRAP WITH FABRIC CHINCUP LOOP
    STRAP ATTACHED DIRECTLY TO SHELL
    'BUNDESWEHR' TYPE TWO CLIP CHINSTRAP FASTENER (ONE BREAKAWAY)
    3 RIVETS AT SIDE, ONE FRONT, ONE BACK (TOTAL = 8)
    LOOP CRADLE WITH HEADBAND,
    NO NAPE STRAP

MARTE 1 85-88
    TEXTURED SURFACE
    SINGLE PIECE CHINSTRAP WITH FABRIC CHINCUP LOOP
    'A' STRAPS IN SHELL, CHINSTRAP ATTACHED TO THESE WITH METAL FRICTION/ROLLER BUCKLES AT EACH END
    FOUR BOLTS EACH SIDE, ONE FRONT, ONE BACK (TOTAL = 10)
    LOOP CRADLE WITH HEADBAND
    NO NAPE STRAP

MARTE 1 85-88 (VERSION 2)
    TEXTURED SURFACE
    SINGLE PIECE CHINSTRAP WITH FABRIC CHINCUP LOOP,
    'A' STRAPS IN SHELL, CHINSTRAP ATTACHED TO THESE WITH METAL FRICTION/ROLLER BUCKLES, ALSO MAY HAVE TWO LARGE POPSTUDS ON LEFT AS QUICK BREAKAWAY
    FOUR BOLTS EACH SIDE, ONE FRONT ONE BACK (TOTAL = 10)
    LOOP LINER WITH HEADBAND
    NO NAPE STRAP

MARTE 1 85-89
    TEXTURED SURFACE
    SINGLE PIECE CHINSTRAP, FABRIC CHINCUP LOOP
    'A' STRAPS INSIDE SHELL, CHINSTRAP ATTACHED TO THESE WITH ROLLER/FRICTION BUCKLES AT BOTH SIDES (LARGE METAL WITH LARGE ROUND BAR)
    FIVE BOLTS AT SIDE, ONE FRONT, ONE BACK (TOTAL = 12)
    LOOP CRADLE WITH HEADBAND
    NAPE STRAP (RECTANGULAR FABRIC) FIXED AT THREE POINTS

---

MARTE 2
    MARTE 2 85-89
    TEXTURED SURFACE
    TWO PIECE CHINSTRAP, FABRIC CHINCUP LOOP
    'A' STRAPS IN SHELL, CHINSTRAP ATTACHED TO THESE WITH METAL ROLLER/FRICTION BUCKLE - MAY HAVE TWO LARGE POPSTUD AT RIGHT AS QUICK RELEASE
    FIVE BOLTS AT SIDE, ONE FRONT ONE BACK (TOTAL = 12)
    LOOP LINER WITH HEADBAND
    NAPE SUPPORT (RECTANGULAR FABRIC) FIXED AT THREE POINTS

MARTE 2 85-94
    TEXTURED SURFACE
    TWO PIECE CHINSTRAP WITH FABRIC CHINCUP LOOP, ATTACHED AT THREE POINTS, INCLUDES LEATHER FACED NAPE PAD WHICH IS PART OF CHINSTRAP ASSEMBLY AT REAR
    PLASTIC PUSH/PULL INSERT CHINSTRAP CATCH
    MESH LINER, COMPLETELY DETACHABLE, VELCRO FITTING, CROWN OF SHELL HAS LARGE RUBBER PAD FIXED BY TENSION (NO GLUE OR SCREWS)
    TWO BOLTS AT EACH SIDE (LOWER BOLT IS BLIND), ONE BACK (TOTAL = 5)

--

MARTE 3

MARTE 3 85-89

SMOOTH SURFACE (EXCEPT FOR EARLIEST PRODUCED WHICH HAVE TEXTURED SURFACE)
    SINGLE PIECE CHINSTRAP WITH FABRIC CHINCUP LOOP, PUSH/PULL INSERT CATCH, PLASTIC STRAP FURNITURE, CHINSTRAP ATTACHED TO 'A' STRAPS WITHIN SHELL
    FIVE BOLTS AT SIDE, ONE FRONT, ONE BACK (TOTAL = 12)
    LOOP LINER WITH HEADBAND
    NAPE STRAP (RECTANGULAR FABRIC) FIXED AT THREE POINTS

--

I have four examples of the Marte, two of which still have the labels (known to fall off easily or be deliberately removed), so they're comparatively easy to identify (assuming of course they are the original labels...) and two which don't. I believe I can confidently identify three of the four, the last one doesn't instantly conform to any of my notes - help!

The first is a Marte 1 85/88 (the second version produced)

The Spanish MARTE series.The Spanish MARTE series.

The second is a Marte 2 85/94, the second version of the Marte 2

The third is a Marte 3 85/89, which I believe is the one and only basic Marte 3 version.

The fourth to be shown is confusing - I can't as yet see how it fits into the series, though I suspect is is a modification of a Marte 1.

As usual Greg, a comprehensive review - thank you. I've been able to pigeon-hole my Marte as a result. I really hope all Marte owners here can help to validate this work as this is one of the less-covered Compos out there....come on guys, get your Martes out!!!!!

Hello friends,
    With your permission, I would like to participate in this topic.

Greg, please, can we see the labels of those Marte ???.

I would love to show you my labels - I always prefer to have labels in my helmets - but unfortunately there is only one and I do not have an image of it on file.

Marte helmets are still hard to get and almost all that come on sale have the labels missing. I do not know whether they are deliberately removed or simply fall out - the labels are embossed on a strip of plastic which is glued into the helmet and I have a feeling that the glue is not very good... There are sometimes ink stamps inside the shells but they are not really useful.

Go to this excellent webpage - ESPAÑA - you will find a lot of information on the Marte with many pictures of the different labels.

Hello,
    The labels are usually removed when they are unsubscribed.
    Other times, they just fall apart due to wear and tear, keep in mind that many are in service for 15 or 20 years.
    The marking of the vault only indicates the size.
    I know the page of Joseba, he's a good friend of mine, some of the helmets are mine, I'm Fernando Medina.

Fernando! There is NOTHING I can tell you about Marte, or any other Spanish helmet. Nice to hear from you again!

The cataloging of Marte is quite complicated.
    The models "overlap", that is, sometimes the last year of manufacture of a model has the same label as the first year of the next model.
    Example.-
    I have a 01/85 of the year 87 and (embarrassing the cataloging of Joseba) a 01/88 of the year 87!

First is a 01/85 of Guardia Civil
    Second 01/85 of Infanteria de Marina.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast