Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

USMC Lightweight Helmet

Article about: Hello all, over the last few weeks I have been getting in parts to complete a well used lightweight helmet which have now all arrived. Gentex made the shell in May of 2006 and has the 6 hole

Default USMC Lightweight Helmet

Hello all, over the last few weeks I have been getting in parts to complete a well used lightweight helmet which have now all arrived. Gentex made the shell in May of 2006 and has the 6 holes for the original suspension which was removed for the ACH style pads liner. The inside has a lot of dirt/sand stuck to the velcro, the chinstrap which is the brown variant is in similar condition and came with the shell. The cover has one big intentional rip to make it easier for the NVG mount to be screwed in. My favorite part is the NVG mount which was painted tan and shows a lot of use, I got it in a lot with a few other NVG mounts which made me want to obtain all these other salty parts. Unfortunately I had to get a replacement mounting screw and it's a little long so the connection between it and the helmet is a bit loose.

Overall I'm really happy with how this turned out, while it is a put together all the parts besides the pads and camo band show a lot of use and fit well together. Besides the screw issue I'm thinking of changing the camo band for one that's tan to match the MARPAT desert pattern. Thank you for reading!

Size: Small
    NSN: 8470-01-506-0934 (shell)

Quick edit: The use of pads instead of the "sling" suspension was authorized in early august of 2006 with either being good to use. Two months later in October the pads were required to be used due to the pad system providing better protection against "non-ballistic blunt trauma". So this helmet only had its original suspension for about 4 months.

August memo: LIGHTWEIGHT HELMET SUSPENSION SYSTEM POLICY AND IMPLEMENTATION;GUIDANCE > United States Marine Corps Flagship > Messages Display

October memo: PAD SUSPENSION SYSTEM IN THE LIGHTWEIGHT HELMET > United States Marine Corps Flagship > Messages Display
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USMC Lightweight Helmet   USMC Lightweight Helmet  

USMC Lightweight Helmet   USMC Lightweight Helmet  

Last edited by Politefaun; 05-30-2021 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Additional info

MAP
    ?

Well done Steve
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)