Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where are all the Mk6As?

Article about: Whilst the Mk6 avalanche continues there appears to be more Virtus and Mk7s for sale on EBay than there are Mk6As......and they're still not common at U.K. Fairs. Where are they all?

Default Where are all the Mk6As?

Whilst the Mk6 avalanche continues there appears to be more Virtus and Mk7s for sale on EBay than there are Mk6As......and they're still not common at U.K. Fairs.

Where are they all?

?

On our shelves
    Piotrek

- - ------- - -

I want one!

Well, I don't have any evidence but experience gives me a bit of a clue.

The Mk6A being a far superior helmet even though it was introduced as a stop gap between the Mk6 and Mk7 might have been retained in some reserve rear area units, possibly Royal Navy or even "War Stock". Whilst the Mk6 was literally a "headache" this is not true of the Mk6A and it is perfectly adequate for the employments above. This possibility together with the comparitively small production numbers of the Mk6A versus the Mk6 and the Mk7, both of which were produced to equip and maintain the entire armed forces may go someway to an explanation.
    I will see if I can discover anything locally. Also, my son is in the RN serving in a warship so I will see if I can get him to assimilate the difference beyond the green, black and sand coloured "heavy hats". Could be a bit tricky that one, no disrespect to the "senior service" but this really is "Pongo stuff".

For those who don't know "Pongo" is naval slang for the Army - "Where the Army goes the pong (smell) goes too". He would never dare say that to me though

Regards

Mark

PS @ Rene, I will keep my eyes open now I know you need one! @ Composite, surely you do have one?
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-15-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

yep, got a couple....one with a retro-fitted para headband.....it's just that they aren't filling Ebay where 7's and Virtus appear to be.....

One would've thought that they'd hold the 7's back....perhaps the ones we're seeing have been displaced by Cobras.......???

Anyway....just thought I'd ask - and I like your logic - thank you

Well, as you might expect I have half a dozen or so. So that's where some of them are. They may not be so evident at fairs, but on Ebay they are and have been easily found, and for ever-decreasing prices too. (NB do not assume they are described properly - look for the identification clues.)

What I would like to know is how many were produced; the original idea was that they were a 'special purpose' (ie risky business) helmet so that, along with the much shorter issue life (Mk6 1984 -, Mk6a - 2007(?) -) would indicate a lot less of them around. I'd say that this is a helmet people overlook at their peril - it might actually become hard to find in the future.

...thanks for tips Greg :-)

Interesting thoughts and discussion gents and personally have three GS mk6 and two examples of the mk6 alpha .i did have two mk7's up untill friday just gone but now down to one example after helping out a forum friend who was in need

?

As to the Mk 6A I as well have noticed that they infrequently come up in the Marketplace and have been after another example for my own collection of course my own personal preference would be for an issued example showing a bit of wear and tear as it wear...

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Where are all the Mk6As?  

A fine example too Mark showing just the right amount of light usage ,here are a few recent pics one of my examplesWhere are all the Mk6As?Where are all the Mk6As?Where are all the Mk6As?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast