Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

8 that were overrun

Article about: Hello people, havent posted on this forum for a while. Hope all of you are doing well! I dont have all the photos since ive filmed most of the dig, when i make the video i will post the link

Default 8 that were overrun

Hello people, havent posted on this forum for a while. Hope all of you are doing well!

I dont have all the photos since ive filmed most of the dig, when i make the video i will post the link.

Now this is a story of a small village in east Croatia called Đurići.

In early 1945 the yugoslavian army backed by the red army and the british war aid broke the german defences on the east. This front is called "Srijemski front /Srijem front). While pushing forward towards the bigger villages like german and croatian fortified Vrbanja and german fortified Drenovci they went through this small village of Đurići.
    It was held by a handful of men.

8 that were overrun8 that were overrun

Germans were holding out in this church, there were a few other soldiers that fled the village when the shooting started.

8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun

They had an machine gun in the tower facing east. The machinegunner got shot in his head and fell down. The commander send another one. He got shot in the head too. 2 or 3 more soldiers went up the tower and then the tower got hit by a shell killing them.
    The rest of the soldiers were probably killed when the partisans entered the village after hitting the tower.

We found 7 soldiers, there were 8 but one was taken back to germany in the early 60s by his wife.

Interesting thing is that all the soldiers that had their erkennungsmarke had half of it, but we know they were buried by the locals.

8 that were overrun

8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun8 that were overrun

I look forward to the video link.

Very interesting.

?

Good job!Big Respect
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

Certainly appears that the bodies were not pilfered for souvenirs, a k98 bayonet that might have been taken in the grave with the body. Is it possible the graves were originally marked and the bottom part of the Ekm nailed to a cross? Or perhaps as the enemy they were buried in unmarked graves?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Certainly appears that the bodies were not pilfered for souvenirs, a k98 bayonet that might have been taken in the grave with the body. Is it possible the graves were originally marked and the bottom part of the Ekm nailed to a cross? Or perhaps as the enemy they were buried in unmarked graves?
    Im not really sure what happened. I know that the locals buried them, however taking the half of the EM... maybe somethimg post war, when the 8th body was exhumed.

I usualy keep the bayonets, helmets, equipment and such that cannot be reburied with the bodies (with no intent for resale). Only things i put in the coffins are their saints pendants, crosses coins and such.

MAP
    ?

Nice work. Can't wait to see the video as well.

Were the bodies returned to Germany?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes, perhaps you can explain what happens to the remains now.

I think you mean't well but the standards of excavation is very poor.

Perhaps you could attempt in future to engage a professional archaeologist to work with you or you could get yourself some training.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Soldier recovery isnt archaeology Jerry
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Yes, perhaps you can explain what happens to the remains now.

No, any german soldiers found in europe arent transfered to germany. They are reburied on the local german military cementary in the particular country, in this case its on the Mirogoj cementary in Zagreb, Croatia.
    I am the leader of excavations for Volksbund in Croatia.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast