Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Airfield aircrew barracks - AMAZING finds !!!

Article about: Well I just don't know what to say. For the first time in years I actually rang the wife whilst detecting. She firstly told me to calm down, then told me to stop swearing so much, and then s

Default Airfield aircrew barracks - AMAZING finds !!!

Well

I just don't know what to say.

For the first time in years I actually rang the wife whilst detecting. She firstly told me to calm down, then told me to stop swearing so much, and then said 'MmMmmm nice dear....gotta go...washing my hair. BYE !' .......... WOMEN !!

Can one of you lot give me a phone number so I can get a bit of enthusiasm on the end of the phone when I am peeing myself at what i just found ?

Anyway.........I was back at the aircrew barracks and, if you recall, i had found a German dog tag and a pebble button and there was speculation that the barracks may have been used as a staging post for POWs towards the end of the war.

Well....I think i just proved it !!!!

Not only that, but I had a BUCKETFUL of finds.

Lets get started on some pics

Firstly....before cleaning and sorting and rejection of crap.

Now after cleaning and rejection of crap.

Ok....let's start with some stuff that i need identifying. The big rusty item looks like it's some kind of mounting for a firing mechanism of a gun. It's four inches long.

Now various other bits and bobs. The thing on a chain has no markings on it. And yes I know that is a penny ! The little tube I thought was a container for gun lubricant when i dug it....but did they make them of metal ?

Ok....now for the stuff that I am more sure of what it is !

Firstly, what appears to be the handle of a flare gun. No markings on it except a serial number on the front face of the handle. I think it's a flare gun because it is 5 - 6 inches tall and feels far too big for a pistol handle.

Shave anyone ? The complete one still has the blade in it !

Spoons..... One says made in sheffield. The other says TTU and shows the remains of another number stamp at the tip. The little one has a crown and AW on the front face of the handle.

Now for some interesting lids and a tube of American WW2 toothpaste. I love the 'antiseptic' wax lol

Here are some interesting buckles. One of them appears to be from an American belt. Can anyone confirm ?

One of them deserves closer examination. I cannot decide what on earth it is. It's about 1.5inches from tip to tip and I initially thought it was perhaps a tie 'pin'. Can anyone help ?

Someone dropped there pocket watch

Various buttons, including ANOTHER German pebble button and an American Lieutenants PIP !!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone identify the anchor button ?

Ok.....i know you've been waiting. Here's why I rang the wife !! First i found another German dog tag.....then i found what i think is the prong from a 'Gott mit uns' belt........and finally......A GERMAN WOUND BADGE !!!!!!!!!

The inside fuze of a British grenade.....and the spring still 'springs' !!

A 50 cal case and a bullet

3 .30 cal rounds and a .30 cal M! carbine round.

A British 303 drill round

And finally.....a number of trench art cartridges. The big one is a 30cal round with the cut off tip of another jammed on top. Strangely, the round appears to still have the bullet in place. One has a .45cal case jammed on top and the 303 with the bit welded to it appears to have been 'silvered'. Very strange.

Anyway...that's the lot. I am totally gob smacked at the German wound badge find and hope I can add more proof to the theory of POWs being there on my next visit.

Steve T

Default Re: Airfield aircrew barracks - AMAZING finds !!!

Good Morning,

Nice finds, If your at an airfield I don't suppose it would be too far fetched to expect downed German airmen through the camp for immediate interogation prior to PW proper. The disc appears to be aircrew with only a serial number & ID number?

Hi Steve, your unknown "gun part" is a Sten gun magazine loading tool.

The tie clip is a possible, but how about a money clip? This is more likely an American thing.

The belt buckle is from a US Officers trouser belt.

The silvered cartridge case I would bet is an unfinished cigarette "trench lighter" peice of artwork.

Navy button is German. "RS&S" also made belt buckles

I know you have made a typo in your excitment on the spoon: "AM" is of course "Air Ministry"

All great stuff!

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Steve,

A wound badge... finding yourself a wound badge...

I WANT A METAL DETECTOR!

Well done !!!

Fantastic finds, I would have been looking for someone to ring as well

Keep looking, but I doubt it will get much better than this If you need it I can give you my number in Australia...........at least I would have been exited to hear about this. but I have to say if my wife answers, it won't be much better

Cheers,

Grant

Thanks guys

Ade - You've not got a pic of a sten gun magazine loader have you ? I have looked on the web but can't find anything that looks like it !

Nifartachi - Sell the wife/kids......shud have enough money to get one

Grant - Thanks !!

Steve T

Hi Steve, I just so happen to have one of these loaders in my collection Took these pics for you. They are a very necessary peice of kit. The Sten mag is a single stack mag and loading it to capacity with finger and thumb is almost impossible without one of these tools.

This is the early style loader, a second cheaper version was later produced. This had no brass content and was much smaller. ( I have one of these too. )

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Airfield aircrew barracks - AMAZING finds !!!   Airfield aircrew barracks - AMAZING finds !!!  

Airfield aircrew barracks - AMAZING finds !!!   Airfield aircrew barracks - AMAZING finds !!!  

WOW !!!

Cool Thanks Ade

The finds get better and better !

Now if only someone could ID the 'flare' gun handle I found.....

Steve T

Hi Steve, the flare pistol part is from a US M8.

Cheers, Ade.

That's the puppy !!

The metal side plates confused me I thought it was solid at that point so had discounted the M8....silly me ! They're screwed on !

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Airfield aircrew barracks - AMAZING finds !!!  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast