Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Airfield finds over the years

Article about: No problem No i didnt find any but i will go back sometime and have a better look round. Have you got any other finds for us to have a look at? You have done a great job labeling everything.

Default Re: Airfield finds over the years

Nice display.

Welcome to the forum too!

Cheers, Ade.

Hi,
    Great finds. I think number 10 in your display is infact a filler cap from a drop tank if im looking at the right bit (brass ring with 8 studs round it)
    Andy

Hi Corblimy and welcome to the forum !

Some very nice finds there. I do like the 20mms......very nicely preserved and I am glad to see they are inert The coat hook you have pictured is an exact match for two I found at an old RAF base dump a few months back. Must've been 'standard issue' coat hooks

If you could use the forum picture hosting in future it would be great. It ensures your pictures never disappear from your posts

Cheers

Steve T

Yea lovely pices you got there, I like the pottery whit R.A.F stamp...

Quote by 381st digger View Post
    Hi,
    Great finds. I think number 10 in your display is infact a filler cap from a drop tank if im looking at the right bit (brass ring with 8 studs round it)
    Andy
    It is actually a Hurricane oil filler cap Andy, part numbers check out to Hawker listings

Can i see a close up pic please iv got loads and loads of what look to be the same and allways thought they were from a drop tank i will post a photo of mine later and see if they are the same. The part number on my ones are 114953 they all so have a circle on them with USCA1 stamped in it. Is that the same?
    Cheers Andy

Here we go. Im still not sure they ar the same part they just look alike. Sorry the old photos not the best its the only one i could find.
    Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Airfield finds over the years   Airfield finds over the years  

Airfield finds over the years   Airfield finds over the years  

Interesting Andy, mine is stamped SAG390/49 and appears to be the the same design as your ones. My part was identified by a Hurricane parts collector as being a Hurricane oil tank cap.
    It was not uncommon for parts in production to have been used for something else, by the time drop tanks were being produced, it is possible that this fitting came to have a secondary use. The drop tank you have featured looks like the pressed paper ones, these were produced in the UK for the USAAAF and could well have utilised a standard easy to source fitting rather than tool up specially just for something that would be dumped in flight.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...p/parts001.jpg

How strange,
    The only thing that seems to be different is your studs are made from brass and all mine are steel but apart from that they are the same.
    All mine came from a ditch near a hanger and we think that the paper tanks were burnt there after the war and these are all thats left.
    Andy

Andy, thanks for your replies

I should imagine that with a part like this that already has a use as a filler cap on a Hurricane, It can easily be produced from existing drawings to serve as a filler cap for a drop tank. There was no need for semi-permanent corrosion resistant brass rivet, when a cheaper steel one would do the same job.
    Did you find the lugs that were used to attach the tanks to the aircrafts hardpoint in the ditch?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast