Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Airfield finds over the years

Article about: No problem No i didnt find any but i will go back sometime and have a better look round. Have you got any other finds for us to have a look at? You have done a great job labeling everything.

Default Re: Airfield finds over the years

No problem

No i didnt find any but i will go back sometime and have a better look round.

Have you got any other finds for us to have a look at? You have done a great job labeling everything.

The parts shown were gleaned from areas behind the two last remaining aircraft dispersals over the course of the last six years or so. The place does not yield very much in the way of finds, and it can take all day with a MD to find half a dozen small bits and bobs. But at the end of the day this place is kind of special to me, and my interest in items found there is well known to all who know me!

Spent all day there today and came away with just two .303 casings, an electrical socket from an aircraft, a small brass data tag, a British 500lb bomb transit plug, a spanner,and a rolled up metal tube of 'Glazing Compound'....Oh, and a sore back!
    Our site suffers from having been almost totally eradicated from the landscape. The areas where the dispersals were, have been ploughed out, The hangars have all gone and the fields returned to agriculture. Occasionally you find things in the ploughsoil but for that you have to wait until harvestime.

We think we know where the main dump is/was, but it would be impossible to excavate the site for several reasons.

The Barrack areas, of which there were several, have also long since gone back to agriculture. any finds there would have been scattered long long ago. I did have quite a bit of stuff found at other nearby airfields once, but have parted company with them as swaps for other items.

corblimy

I am sorry to hear that your site has been so comprehensively returned to agricultural use. With the majority of airfields, some part of the original site still remains as a wooded area, with or without buildings. At least the foundations are usually still present. To search a base such as yours must be a thankless task and it must hold some special significance to you for you to keep returning there. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours at the site and hope to see more finds from you soon.

Steve T

These two popped up recently at the same place, The first was this weekend and is a metal (lead?) tube of Bostik Glazing compound, this was used during WWII for sealing aircraft cockpit glazing. See:
    1952 | 1310 | Flight Archive
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Airfield finds over the years   Airfield finds over the years  

The second was found a little while ago near the same site and is a Yardley Lavender Brilliantine Jar. This was the 'Rolls Royce' of mens haircare, Where Brylcreem was seen to be a tad greasy, Brilliantine gave a sleek shine to mens hair and was favoured for that special night out! In other words, when you was on a promise with one of the local girls, or a WAAF

Featuring a Brass screw lid, This was found under leaf mold about eight inches deep by a tree.
    Still available today it seems!

Yardley London English Lavender Hair Brilliantine for Men
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Airfield finds over the years   Airfield finds over the years  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3