Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Airfield Gunnery Range

Article about: Today I set out to a possible dump related to a Second World War Airfield, unfortunately the dump turned out to be completely civilian and after 40 minutes of digging and shifting through sa

Default Airfield Gunnery Range

Today I set out to a possible dump related to a Second World War Airfield, unfortunately the dump turned out to be completely civilian and after 40 minutes of digging and shifting through sand I came to the conclusion that the chances of finding anything related to the airfield were non existant. I took a few photographs of the finds and put them back in the hole they came from and filled it in.

Feeling slightly dissapointed I began to head along the beach to get some photography done, after half an hour or so it started raining heavy so I was desperate to find some shelter as I wasnt wearing anything waterproof, or even practical for going digging The surrounding area has quite a few structures left such as bunkers and pillboxes, so I made a mad dash for the nearest structure I knew of to take shelter. The structure happened to be the target housing for a firing range

Once the rain died off, I went for a walk around the target housing. Unusually, there was this area in front of it that had been cleared of all the grass and mud, I went for a little look around

I'll let the photos do the talking

Airfield Gunnery Range
    Part of the bit of ground that had the grass and mud removed

Airfield Gunnery Range
    The first few finds that started the digging frenzy

Airfield Gunnery Range
    WW1 .303 Bullet

Airfield Gunnery Range
    WW2 .303 Bullet

Airfield Gunnery Range
    WW1 .303 Bullets the ones at the top have holes in the top of them, any other info on them?

Airfield Gunnery Range
    And again

Airfield Gunnery Range
    Strange .45..ish bullet, 2 .45's and 5 9mm

Airfield Gunnery Range
    Martini Henry Bullets

Airfield Gunnery Range
    WW2 .303's

Airfield Gunnery Range
    .303 shells, all 1941

Airfield Gunnery Range
    Unusually some .22 shells and bullets, and an air rifle pellet

Airfield Gunnery Range
    Random other bits and pieces

Airfield Gunnery Range
    Bullets that are less than perfect, broken, squashed, bent etc....

Airfield Gunnery Range
    WW2 .303 with the top of the shell still attached

Airfield Gunnery Range
    The 2 best finds of the day, a 50cal bullet and the base plug for a Mills Bomb

Airfield Gunnery Range
    A couple of the .303 bullets with the flat top with the hole in it, one of which has bulged out a little bit

Airfield Gunnery Range
    Large bolt and a piece of metal

Airfield Gunnery Range
    Another shot of the less than perfect bullets

Airfield Gunnery Range
    Some of the bottles I kept from the civilian dump earlier

Overall I am extremely happy with the finds of today, they might not be as unique and exciting as some of other peoples finds. However the fact that I've went out equiped to find things and actually have is what has topped it off for me

Thanks

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Airfield Gunnery Range  
    Last edited by GasMasksUK; 05-30-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Information from other members

Default Re: Airfield Gunnery Range

fantastic matey, thats exactly the kind of stuff I started finding at the first few visits to my site, then after that it just got better and better.

I think you base nut might be EE Co. If so that's the English Electric Co.

Nice work. DM

Thanks very much for the information on the base nut I'm sure that there will be a lot more to find on other parts of the ranges too.

Thanks

Danny

No probs, I love base nuts, so any you find, please share pics and if possible let me know the markings.

Good luck in future searches.

DM

Well done danny,

Those .303's look more like first world war ones? Good haul for eyes only you could even try a garden sieve. Looks like a nice codd bottle as well shame it's broken.

CHeers

John

Well done Danny, Thats not a bad haul!! Iv never found a base nut i dont have many ranges where i live.
    Keep it up

OH! AND I FORGOT!!!!!. Those lead rounds are from a Martini Henry. Zulu war!! . cracking stuff. Go back and get some more slugs!

I'm going back with a sieve next time I've just looked into information about .303 bullets, the pointy ones are WW2, and the others are WW1 . Thanks for the information on the Martini Henry bullets, thats very suprising

Thanks for the comments

Danny

Hi Danny,

What can I say but
    Thats the way to do it, but you should seriously think about getting yourself a metal detector. However without one you've still done amazingly well, your site must be packed.

That domestc tip you were digging also looks fantastic, I know not military related but it looks early 1890 to 1910, you could find a whole host of interesting bottles and pots some of which could be quite valuable. Perhaps its a waste midden left by soldiers on exercise, the remains of the tins look early and are a rare survivors.
    Its funny but if you'd posted this on the BD (Bottle Digging) UK forum they'd be raving about the domestic site. Its all down to taste I suppose.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

pah! old bottles give me nade parts anyday

But, yeah, even if its a Garrette Ace 150 or 250. Mine 'fisher price' Garrette finds stuff no problem, I'm certain that it misses out on really deepstuff, but its a great introduction for not a lot of cash. Plus its idiot proof, I have proved that!

DM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast