Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another day at an old WW2 airfield

Article about: Hey all Well, i have spent a little more time at the airfield I posted about a few weeks back and have found some more stuff for you to see. Firstly a few pics of the digging in action ! Now

Default Another day at an old WW2 airfield

Hey all

Well, i have spent a little more time at the airfield I posted about a few weeks back and have found some more stuff for you to see.

Firstly a few pics of the digging in action !

Now a picture of the finds i made PRIOR to them being cleaned up

Now a picture taken after 2 hours of solid cleaning, examining and disposal of pieces of crap i brought back with me just in case they had markings on them...

Ok let's get down to some identification. All the cartridges are easy to identify with their headstamps and i am somewhat of an enthusiastic expert on them now. Suffice to say all were dated between 1941 and 1944 and are 50cal, 20mm and 303 rounds.

All the below were found at the same depth as the cartridges so i know they are the same era.

First thing is the Lucas box. It's about 10cm tall and 4cm wide.

Next a strange cap with the remains of a gasket on the inside. Stamp on the top reads ASTD440. It's about 8cm in diameter (3 inches ish)Fuel cap off an airplane ?

I have no idea what this could be. Same size as the Lucas 'box'

Flare gun cartridge ? About 35mm in diameter

This cartridge has been cut through very deliberately Any idea why ?

A piece of brass about 5cm long (2 inches) with Sheffield stamped on it and in stylised writing what looks like the name Nesthills (but i could be wrong )

Oh dear...someone lost their cash ! Half a crown as well.....lots of money in them days. Dated 1940 on a WW2 airfield. NICE !

Lastly, something i have got very excited about. It is quite small only being about an inch (2.5cm) tall. Under the pin on the back you can JUST make out (with a magnifying glass and lots of cursing and moving of lights ) what appears to be a very small stamp. It looks like a stylised top half of an eagle above a stripped shield. Beneath the shield is a scroll. Could this be an American officers 'pip' ? ? I hope it is !!!

Anyways....thats the most interesting stuff. A good day and well worth the thorn scratches, nettles stings, falling down hidden badger holes and dropping my sandwiches in a cow pat

Hope you like them.

Relichunter

Default Re: Another day at an old WW2 airfield

Hi ,
    Really good finds, and interesting about that round thats cut through!.
    we have some good airfields here in cornwall but not able to dig them,
    legally anyway.
    panzer 3 dave.

Actually Dave you are not far from an old airfield that is public common land, and hence NOT illegal to search, WITH the revetments still in place !

Look up Harrowbeer on the net (near Yelverton), and check it out on Google earth........it is WELL worth a visit. Trust me

relichunter

Hi relichunter,
    Thanks for the lead, i will check that one out, the old air fields near me are still in R.A.F, hands.
    Dave.

No probs Dave. I have found some tasty relics at Harrowbeer in the past Try searching about the distance one could throw a 303 cartridge from the revetments towards the runway(s). You'll find a line of 303 rounds.....easy peasy. Oh, and some coffman cartridge remains

Relichunter

Message to Adrian Stevenson......

Come on Ade !! I know you can identify some of this stuff. Your knowledge is legendary !!

Post a reply even if it has got you stumped !

relichunter

Hi Relichunter, you are making me go red with embarassment! Thank you for your very kind comments.

I can help on two items.

The "Lucas" marked box is the cover from a fuse (circuit breaker) box and was used on vehicles and maybe even aircraft in WW2. As you will know, they are still a big car parts maker in the UK.

The "pip" as you called it, is indeed a US Officers rank bar and is wartime. Silver finish for a 1st Lt and gilt finish for a 2nd Lt.

Flare pistol cartridge? Most British ones are 1 inch but a few are 1.5 inch. Ask Bill Grist on this one.

Cheers, Ade.

I knew you wouldn't let me down !!!

Way to go Ade !

Many thanks

?

Hello there, the round item looks very much like the fuel filler cap from a Hurricane, located on the port wing above the undercarriage. Interesting item!

?

Hello Relichunter,

Some great finds there! Must get the old detector out again sometime...

Your "aeroplane fuel filler cap" actually looks rather like a glycol tank filler cap, but off which type of aircraft, I'm afraid the jury's still out...

It looks like you unearthed some aircraft parts too; are there any numbers on any of them?

Best Regards,

Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast