Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The Ardennes and Bastogne Trip at Christmas

Article about: Gentlemen, I am planning a short trip to the Ardennes and Bastogne this Christmas, will be in-between Christmas and New Year, will be a nice break from all the Christmas nonsense on TV and s

Arrow

Quote by Paul D View Post
    ....,unfortunately since then the area has been hammered by metal detectors .
    Yes, back in the day you didn't need a metal detector. I knelt next to a tree to get one of my photos in that wood and got a sudden pain in the knee - it was a tiny but very sharp shell fragment, which I've kept as a souvenir ever since. The pain was worth the gain.....

Nowadays you will find nothing there. Totally empty because of all the diggers that have been there.

Thanks for the inputs fella's, this is really wetting my appetite ! getting excited already ! haha

Yes I will be visiting Foy, that was the first on my list, not watched the BoB series for a while, I do remember the episode regarding the attack on Foy. Will be watching the entire series again before I go, must have watched it 10 times already !

I also intend to stop off at Mons for the night on the return journey, I want to visit the bridge at Nimy, but thats for another discussion

Cheers guys

The museum in Bastogne is worth a visit as is the imposing US monument. Keep an eye out for the Sherman tank turrets that mark the limit of the Germans advance on the town.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    The museum in Bastogne is worth a visit as is the imposing US monument. Keep an eye out for the Sherman tank turrets that mark the limit of the Germans advance on the town.
    Will do thanks

At the place where I put the marker, was the Allied attack that ended the siege of Bastogne and made a corridor. A small damaged bunker is still standing here. It is also worth to visit, I have been there with a guide. You get a good impression of how it all ended.
    On the bunker is also a monument which tells the story about the ending of the siege.

Here you can see the bunker with the monument, as seen by google street view.

..it's been a few years now but the Tank Restoration Centre on the road into town also had a small museum at the gate house when I was last there and a handful of vehicles on the parade ground.....they also held an impressive stock of vehicles out back but I understand they were only sheltering them whilst another museum was being refurb'd. As already mentioned, there was a little museum (it looked like a shop) just along from the square full of dug-ups...well worth a visit if it's still there....and they sold stuff too.....but don't forget Customs!

Enjoy!

Thanks again guys for the interest. On one of the days I am hoping to drive up to La Gleize , via Malmedy and Trois-Ponts and back through Stoumont. Just want to get a good experience of the terrain and winter conditions during the BoB, fingers crossed there is no extreme winter weather conditions over the Christmas period however !

Cheers

?

I was there 8 years ago and it was fascinating I really enjoyed it. Have a great trip!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast