Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

The Ardennes and Bastogne Trip at Christmas

Article about: Gentlemen, I am planning a short trip to the Ardennes and Bastogne this Christmas, will be in-between Christmas and New Year, will be a nice break from all the Christmas nonsense on TV and s

Wink

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    fingers crossed there is no extreme winter weather conditions over the Christmas period however !

Cheers
    That's not what the Fuhrer said !

Indeed Martin, but i do not have a Königstiger ! haha

Cheers

?

The bunker mentioned is on the road to Assenois ,the village that the American C Team , 4th Armoured Div , attacked from under Lt Charles Boggess , late afternoon of 26/12/44 !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    The bunker mentioned is on the road to Assenois ,the village that the American C Team , 4th Armoured Div , attacked from under Lt Charles Boggess , late afternoon of 26/12/44 !
    Guys
    Sorry showing my ignorance here, not up to speed with Bastogne as yet...... did this bunker exist pre Battle for Bastogne or was it constructed during the battle ??

Cheers

I was there a couple of weeks ago and have most gps co-ordinates to the landmarks if they are any use to you?

I have co-ordinates for 'shiftys window', 101st museum, rachamps church (where the choir sang to the 101st), Bastogne aid center, malmedy crossroads, bois Jacques woods & 101st memorial, and longchamps '3 foot jump' where it all started for easy company.

Its a real great place to visit. rgds matty

Quote by matty01 View Post
    I was there a couple of weeks ago and have most gps co-ordinates to the landmarks if they are any use to you?

I have co-ordinates for 'shiftys window', 101st museum, rachamps church (where the choir sang to the 101st), Bastogne aid center, malmedy crossroads, bois Jacques woods & 101st memorial, and longchamps '3 foot jump' where it all started for easy company.

Its a real great place to visit. rgds matty
    Hi Matty
    Yes of course they would be a great help ! Looking forward to it ! Have to get my books ordered and get up to speed with all the facts and locations

Cheers

OK will get them on tomorrow night.

There is a book called 'from toccoa to the eagles nest' by an author who followed the path of easy by Dalton einhorn.

No gps co-odinates but the authors on flicker so got many pictures. Worth a good read anyway.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toccoa-Eagl.../dp/1439264791

Quote by matty01 View Post
    OK will get them on tomorrow night.

There is a book called 'from toccoa to the eagles nest' by an author who followed the path of easy by Dalton einhorn.

No gps co-odinates but the authors on flicker so got many pictures. Worth a good read anyway.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toccoa-Eagl.../dp/1439264791
    Thanks Matty, have to get these books on order this week, only 6 week's to go !

Cheers

Rachamps convent (theres a Jupiter beer sign hanging on it) 50degrees 05'01"N 5degrees 47'21"E

Bastogne aid station 50degrees 00'18"N 5degrees43'17"E
    In the mini series the aid station was in a church which I think is wrong. The co-ordinates are for the main Bastogne church but I think the actual aid station was across the road in the chapel of seminary. This building is difficult to spot from the church but you will see a high cross behind the building where it is.

shiftys window 50degrees 02'39"N 5degrees 44'58"E

easy company foxholes 50degrees 02'09"N 5degrees 45'06"E

101st airborne museum 49degrees 59'57"N 5degrees 42'42"E

malmedy massacre site 50degrees 24'11"N 6degrees 03'58"E

If your heading to france, Hagueneu river crossing 48degrees 48'58"N 7degrees 47'51"E

Hope this helps, have a safe and pleasant trip.

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Gentlemen,

I am planning a short trip to the Ardennes and Bastogne this Christmas, will be in-between Christmas and New Year, will be a nice break from all the Christmas nonsense on TV and shop sales and such like.
    I have a Hotel booked in Bastogne for 3 nights so unless there is really bad weather i will be off

I am a big fan of Band of Brother's, it must be the best ww2 production of recent times.
    Want to try and visit some of the iconic locations.

I have seen on TV that some of the old 101st fox hole positions can still be seen in the woods on the perimeter of Bastogne but i am not certain where ?

Anybody have details please?

Cheers
    Have a great time mate!

Its on my radar for next year !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast