Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

The Ardennes and Bastogne Trip at Christmas

Article about: Gentlemen, I am planning a short trip to the Ardennes and Bastogne this Christmas, will be in-between Christmas and New Year, will be a nice break from all the Christmas nonsense on TV and s

Quote by matty01 View Post
    Rachamps convent (theres a Jupiter beer sign hanging on it) 50degrees 05'01"N 5degrees 47'21"E

Bastogne aid station 50degrees 00'18"N 5degrees43'17"E
    In the mini series the aid station was in a church which I think is wrong. The co-ordinates are for the main Bastogne church but I think the actual aid station was across the road in the chapel of seminary. This building is difficult to spot from the church but you will see a high cross behind the building where it is.

shiftys window 50degrees 02'39"N 5degrees 44'58"E

easy company foxholes 50degrees 02'09"N 5degrees 45'06"E

101st airborne museum 49degrees 59'57"N 5degrees 42'42"E

malmedy massacre site 50degrees 24'11"N 6degrees 03'58"E

If your heading to france, Hagueneu river crossing 48degrees 48'58"N 7degrees 47'51"E

Hope this helps, have a safe and pleasant trip.
    Thanks Matty, I have a couple of books on the way, I can then tie all this advice into one

Cheers

That's the way, gather the info then come up with your own conclusion.

There is another museum called Ardennes which could have been worth a visit. The 101st museum in Bastogne has only been open about 8 months, good museum though.

When you find the bois Jacques, if you keep on the same road heading away from Foy you will come up to a junction where the 101st memorial is.

I was there at the end of October, there was one or two near frosts then so you may be in for a chilly one.

If your heading back via Calais ferry allow plenty of time as it took us over an hour to get through check-in.
    French army were checking cars in great detail for the obvious things (and doing a great job to be fair) but it sure as hell slows the process down.

good luck history man

That's the way, gather the info then come up with your own conclusion.

There is another museum called Ardennes which could have been worth a visit. The 101st museum in Bastogne has only been open about 8 months, good museum though.

When you find the bois Jacques, if you keep on the same road heading away from Foy you will come up to a junction where the 101st memorial is.

I was there at the end of October, there was one or two near frosts then so you may be in for a chilly one.

If your heading back via Calais ferry allow plenty of time as it took us over an hour to get through check-in.
    French army were checking cars in great detail for the obvious things (and doing a great job to be fair) but it sure as hell slows the process down.

good luck history man
    Thanks Matty
    I will be using the EuroTunnel this time so hopefully no delays ! I hope it is a little chilly as I want to experience the feeling they had during the conflict.

Only there a couple of days so need to prioritise somewhat, I also want to get up to La Gleize,Trois Ponts, Stavelot,Stoumont and Malmedy so have to see how it goes !!

Cheers

?

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Guys
    Sorry showing my ignorance here, not up to speed with Bastogne as yet...... did this bunker exist pre Battle for Bastogne or was it constructed during the battle ??

Cheers
    The bunker is a pre war Belgian one , part of the Belgian defences constructed in the 30's , they surround Bastogne and the one on the way up to the War Museum and memorial is where the first Belgian soldier killed in WW2 fell ,Cpl Emil Cady.

Go to the 101 Airborne Museum it's excellent ,i have been taking Tours there for a few years and it is the place to go if you are interested in 101 Airborne , of course it wasn't just them at Bastogne many other American Units fought there !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    The bunker is a pre war Belgian one , part of the Belgian defences constructed in the 30's , they surround Bastogne and the one on the way up to the War Museum and memorial is where the first Belgian soldier killed in WW2 fell ,Cpl Emil Cady.

Go to the 101 Airborne Museum it's excellent ,i have been taking Tours there for a few years and it is the place to go if you are interested in 101 Airborne , of course it wasn't just them at Bastogne many other American Units fought there !
    Thanks Paul I will do. I am interested in the Battle of the Bulge as a whole and is not confined to the exploits of the 101st alone

Cheers

?

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Thanks Paul I will do. I am interested in the Battle of the Bulge as a whole and is not confined to the exploits of the 101st alone

Cheers
    You'll have to come on my Leger Battlefield tour mate !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Leger Battlefield tours (silver something written on bus) was at bois Jacques when I was there in October, I kinda followed them right in.

Looked like they had a good coach load and definately didn't need any imposters like myself so left them to it.

Would have loved to have heard what was being said though.

?

Yes mate it will have been a Leger Silver Service Coach , i was supposed to be guiding that Tour but was ill and had to pull out !!

1st July 1916

Quote by Paul D View Post
    You'll have to come on my Leger Battlefield tour mate !!
    Yeah you never know ! although I have done 2 Ledger Tours already ! Paul Reid was on the TV on Sunday night !

Cheers

Leger Battlefield tours (silver something written on bus) was at bois Jacques when I was there in October, I kinda followed them right in.

Looked like they had a good coach load and definately didn't need any imposters like myself so left them to it.

Would have loved to have heard what was being said though.
    I might head on down there in the evening when its dark !

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast