Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 107 of 132 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1313

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Fossick #479

The second trip to the Military Rubbish dumps ~ Prior to this weeks spectacular Hunt.

It was another early start and a vey Foggy Tablelands ~ after some storms this last 10 days ~

The dump is pretty wide spread so I hooked in ~ but targets wee very scrappy and a lot ferrous rubbish~ in fact tee only thing I found was sorry tea spoon and four bottles ~ Two NSW beer bottles and two PMU sauce which I posed earlier make a nice "stubbie" serve !

So after an hour I called Time out and decided to head back to another area I have fossicked many many times.

But as the Soil was damp and the I have now set up my ideal settings on the Equinox I decided to give it ago as the new Detector has proven to be a profound detector !

The result was inspiring and target s started up immediately ~ but I am having to dig deeper holes ~ and knowing this site was bulldozed post war I figured that would `in order ~

Spent a another few hours hunting the spot with some cool results, calling it a day around 12:30 again ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

The bar is a rod Of Solder

Two threePences ~ Both Melbourne Mint 1943 ~

A 1909 Half Penny and a butchered 43 Penny and a 1943 Penny

The large Brass piece is another tent structure support ~ And another shell case cut off ~ I reckon i could rebuild a shell case atthis rate ~

TRINITY BEACH, CAIRNS FAR NORTH QLD. 1944-10-12. GUN CREWS OF THE 2_5TH FIELD REGIMENT POSITIONING 25 POUNDER GUNS INTO THEIR POSITIONS ON THE DECK OF THE LANDING SHIP, TANK (LST) 743

Fossick #480 Solo

A more relaxed start~ up at 06:00~ ready to go 07:30 ~ Looking across to the Tinaroo area a large low cloud was hanging on Tinaroo ~ Ouch Oh ~ Fog again !

The plan was to see Robert who has returned from Melbourne ~ to go check our the northern zones ~But after I arrived ayt his place Ifind Robert is off colour and seems to have picked up a Virus in Melbourne!

No problems another Solo ~ Rigged up and set out ~

I spent some two hours before I broke for Smoko ~ and then pressed on ~ At one point I gto a great signal in a small depression ~ and in these sites even after all this time this would suggest it was a dump ole back inthe Day ~

It had collected a bit of water after the rain and I dug after several attempts The signal vanised ~ So as i do often I walk away allwo the processor to reset itself and return ~ As the spade was covered in damp sticky clay I walked to a fallen old dead tree limb and banged the clay ~ and as i also do I scan the detritus just to be sure and Bam ~ a Signal below the limb ~ same ~ I scrap the clay away and there isa Rising Sun (Small) ~

I return to the hole ~ still no signal sio I can only assume the badge had stuck the spade ~ Or was it already laying in the dirt!?

Is that deemed a "Near Miss" ?

Additionally as i have tweaked the Equinox to my preferred setting I am digging deeper hoels and now what is hapending I am finding more webbing buckles with Webbing still intact after < 75> years ~ amazing really ~ but only inthe deeper holes~

As I had lost time I wanted to press on ~ and beyond the Rising temps ~ and as it rained several days earlier ~ The Humidity was making tough Going.

I was burnt out by 13:00 ~ and begrudgingly called it a day ~

One Hell of a View ~ and suggestion a brush fire burning soem where ~

Tell tale tale concrete slabs and broke residue ~

Smoko ~ Shady tree and a pot of Black tea with eucalyptus ~ and tucker ~ perfect World ~ The Bandanna is ideal for keeping the Pesky biting March Flies at bay ~

The Rising Sun after clean up~ amazing ~

Attachment 1364571

KIMALO, FAR NORTH QUEENSLAND. 1944-12-05. NO. 1 GUN PIT, D TROOPS, NO. 10 BATTERY, 2_5 FIELD REGIMENT ROYAL AUSTRALIAN ARMY,

Fossick #482 ~

Friday ~ The temperatures have dropped dramatically and after a lazy rise and watching a News item Merete taped for my benefit over night ~ I decided "HELL~ I am off for a Hunt!" ~

It was 10:30 before I switched the Detector on ~ I started by looking for the Mythical Chinese coins ~ all i found was more Bren Gun cartridges. So moved on to the Dump~ And again i was sceptical about site believing that I had drained the e best of last Monday ~ But once again i was Oh SO Wrong!

In fact the signals were even more numerous ~ a Lot of detritus and ferrous signals ~

The wind was an issue as I forgot my headphones in the rush h to get going ~ and the Noktar ha PP has a filthy volume levels so that slowed proceedings right off the Bat!

Thankfully eventually the Wind dropped off to a tenable level ~

A real combination of relics ~ including a Sun Baker (Large) Rising Sun ~ a pressure gun of sorts ~ a 25 Pdr. Shell Impact Fuze guard which I have been on the watch for a very long time ~ intact ~ not flattened which is so common ~

Called game around 15:30 ~ another fabulous day ~

DANBULLA, ATHERTON TABLELAND, QUEENSLAND. 1945-04-17. PRIVATE H.V. FLANIGAN (1) OF 2/27 INFANTRY BATTALION AT THE READY POSITION AWAITING ORDER TO FIRE, DURING FLAME WARFARE EXERCISES CONDUCTED BY HEADQUARTERS 7 DIVISION.

Fossick #483

The Xmas Special ~ DeJa Vue!

Xmas Eve 2017 I found the Scottish Cameroonian Rifles badge ~ Unheard of in Australia ~ but ( now ~ today !)

Woke up real early again at Sparrow burp~ and decided “Stuff it i am off !”

Out before the traffic and any hassles ~

I rang homebase and M tells me it was raining but not here ~
    Started out slowly ~

A lot of mixed signals but nothing of value ~ but I stuck to a plan ~ and kept going ~

Again the Temps spiralled up wayward and the wind picked ~ so i called it a day ~ well pleased iwth my results yet again

Not sure that this site is going to deliver much more as i did have to work hard !

The rectangular piece is a St Christopher medallion but they are always made of Aluminium and that struggles with the elements ~

I have Never seen the Button before ~ and it was a "Sunbaker " that is ~ laying on the ground ~

Digger History; (ANZAC) Australia & NZ at War, a history

BOIKEN, NEW GUINEA, 18th July 1945. Australian Diggers OF 2_2 FIELD REGIMENT ROYAL AUSTRALIAN ARTILLERY USING A 155MM M1 LONG TOM TO FIRE ON A JAPANESE POSITION 14,600 YARDS AWAY.

Tobruk, libya. 1941-09-18. a close up of men of the 2_28th australian infantry battalion, acting as gunners, with men of the 104th royal horse artillery, loading a captured italian 149mm field gun.

And a very Merry Xmas to one and all, especially the Bloke with the Spade!

Cheers mate ~ best regards to all followers of my Blog ~ and of course ~ Folks all round ~

Yes ~
    especially the Bloke with the Spade!

Funny you say that i have two spades one narrow and the second a home built special ~ it is a Pearler ~ broader blade ~ and effective in water especially ~

And lifting a broad spade into the bottom with mud and stones and endeavouring to lift with out losing ANY of the load is quite a process !

But HEY! ~ good for back strengthening ~ right !?

Fossick #484

A Team-Hunt.

Forecast rain and more rain ! Chance of thunder storms ~

Met up with DM and headed around 07:30

Headed to the Dump site ~ gain now having to work hard for the relics ~ DM wandered out of the area and more into the Camps and did very well with cluster of Small silvers.

We were shadowed by Interlopers ~ I think they had been there as several Beer bottles were gone ~ but why blokes you don't claim jump at 10:00 in the morning ! LOL

As I said to Dwayne we best make sure there is nothing left ~

But I picked up three HBT US "Burst of Victory " 13 Star US Army buttons ~

I dwelled in the Trash site all the period of the hunt ~

Midday it poured and I was drenched ~but hey no problems ~ soon dried out ~ but we called it a day and headed back as the rain continued over the site area ~ as wide ribbon if cloud ~determined to drive us out !

Still two more days to make this one of the BEST EVER months in variety of relics. ( A florin or two would round it out nicely ~ NAH!! One of those Gold Sovereigns ~!! )

DM's finds ~he felt he stuck with Crumbs ~ I think he was hoping for a Military badge/s too ~

I did some research and found out a little more and the Marines ~ the US Army and Navy had different variances of these buttons~

These would appear to be US Army ~ No such luck that they are US Marines ~

( I think they were mostly based down The Brisbane team's way ~ and Melbourne! I believe they were based on the Melbourne Cricket stadium just on the edge of the CBD !)

Australian Diggers training exercises at Mt Garnet with US 503 rd Paras ~ 1942.

The 503 Rd parachute regt. was based at Gordonvale ~ Terry and I worked the farm several times but found very little as it is a Cane farm and cane farmers~ level the paddocks each cane season and push the tops levels into the near by Creeks ~

BUT the 503Rd Paras did train on the Tablelands and they regularly did training drops onto the Tablelands ~ we even know the Paddocks they parachuted into at Tinaroo. They would drop their kit of on a specific farm and then force march all the back down the Gillies Mountain to Home base about 35 kilometres ~

I have already had several comments that these wire supplied to the Australians with pants and kit ~ or the Diggers traded them or even pinched them ~( After all the Australian Digger was renowned for collecting Souvenirs !)

All starting to sound like De Ja Vue ~ and My ~ the story of the Great Britain General Service buttons I / we have found ~

But I proven the case that were in fact 52 plus 5 Indians British Officers Embedded with the Aust 9th divisions ~ I even found a grave marker for a British Officer who "died" in the fight again the Japanese in New Guinea, and is buried at the Australind War grave cemetery at Port Moresby.

Thirty two british awaiting Embarkation ~ probably back to India and Burma ~ at Townsville QLD after being embedded with the Aust 9 Th Division based on the Atherton tablelands 1944

SHAGGY RIDGE, NEW GUINEA. 1944-01-10.

7308 CAPTAIN H. HOOK, ROYAL DECCAN HORSE (1)

CAPTAIN A.J.C. STANTON, 14/20TH KINGS HUSSARS (2)

TWO ENGLISH OFFICERS SERVING WITH "C" COMPANY, 2/9TH INFANTRY BATTALION, PICTURED ON THE TOP OF SHAGGY RIDGE, THEY BELONG TO A PARTY OF 50 BRITISH OFFICERS FROM INDIA WHO ARE ATTACHED TO AUSTRALIAN UNITS IN FORWARD AREAS TO GAIN EXPERIENCE OF JUNGLE FIGHTING IN NEW GUINEA.

RECORDS - THE_DENIM_VAULT

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 12-29-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Here an example ~ effects of patina and soil debnegrations of relics ~ as [art of a conversation related to cleaning of relics and the suggestion that patina and PH levels are obviously bit issue

`

The Good and the Ugly ~

The both of them same site ~ in the same cleaning batch ~ Despite The AMF button is damaged but the corrosion is horrendous!

Is this the BEST four weeks I have put in ~

Four weeks in December ~ and three days to go ~

And another Hunt planned before the 1st Jan 2020