Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 113 of 132 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1313

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Quote by lithgow View Post
    PNG/Palestine ones with a hole in them (mostly for the locals to do so, but troops did it as well-had to wear the dog tags anyway!).

Fossick #506

Decided on a Late Hunt ~ Midday before I actually arrived on site, The point being that the forecast for Sunday was about as good as the forecast and previous has been ~

It was over Cast and drizzling at home but on site it was basically huge fluffy cumulus and blue skies with wid spread Sunshine and a howling breeze.

Started in the "parking Lot" ~ Nothing but detritus including a large steel (Horse) hitching ring, < 24 cm dia.> and broken anchoring bolt ` ~

While it was heavy going I found heaps of targets ~ but a lot of ferrous bolts heavy nails and junk which many rang as solid targets ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Chasing a three pence across the ground ~ allusive little sods! Should be getting good at this Game !

I worked a pattern of zig-zagging ~ Heaps of targets and actually found the remnants of two buildings ~

I even found a 1919 KG V commonwealth penny in the middle of a spray of crushed pull ring type Fosters ! While the Fosters cans would have been 1970s ~ very hard to say whether the penny was part of the evident building and dated back to Pre WWII or was part of the Military camp !

I also found the Brass Sink plug and the brass hinge in the same spot ~
    Had a run on tooth paste and shave Cream tubes ~ a Lot of Bullet cases ~ as suggested a lot of ferrous iron bolts and screw ~ a real trashy area to say the least ~ I even found a large <16 cm> copper drain elbow ~ Certainly a lot happening in the area ~

Even had a mini run on pad locks ~
    I even found myself chasing what turned into a nice 1942 Thrip which barely needed any cleaning at all~ Anyone else find when MD ~ they have to chase these tiny coins ~ illusive little buggers !

The weather closed in heavily and very heavy dark clouds and breeze told of rain coming but fortunately I experienced little more than a light shower before it cleared some and the breeze dropped to a dead clam ~ So shivering one minute and sweating the next!

So ~ home around 16:00 hrs with a modest but varied lot ~

Shrapnel piece at the Bottom ~ is internal plate form a Clock ~ or a wtch.

Clean up after the last hunt ~ plus some ~

Australian Army Service Corps Trucks being landed from LCT landing craft (New Guinea 1943 )

( A cyptic clue as to what was coming up in the next hunt ~ this week! )

Fossick #507

Like most around the Country we have been hit with extreme lows.

But after some job s and tasks completed I decided to do a very late run and do a Hunt.

As suggested a late start and 12:30 before I arrived on site. Not optimistic at all as I have been hammering this site for months minus a month - five weeks lock down. But I forged on ~

I was soon amongst the Ferrous iron targets and I dug practically every thing ~ and ignored the Iron tones as the soil is highly mineralized but I chose to leave the Sensitivity on maximum ~

I simply worked much of the usual ground ~ With some luck ~ Still puling up coins including the allusive three pence/s!

A Duffle bag Lock ~ complete and working condition

A lot of detritus and rubbish but a few good targets!~

It was late when I dug what I thought was piece waste lead ~ and first temptation was to chuck it ~ it heavily encrusted ~ then I noticed a loop ~

I immediately assumed it was Religious pendent, But as I rubbed off the dirt it turned into a seven point star with a small crown on the top~ The Loop was the grasping end of the split retaining Pin.

Inspired I pressed on. Eventually decided to call a game over and return to résumé the Sweeping plot I was doing ~

Best part of 17:30 hrs by the time I checked in at Home base.

Duffle bag Lock ~in excellent condition

SMLE barrel cleaning drop weight

~Another envelope opener ~

~Three pence

~Bent 1/2 Penny

~Roo Penny

~ A 1800 lead projectile

~A Service ribbon badge with retaining Pin.

~Shirt/ trouser buttons.

What appears to be a .50 cal. projectile with slots ~ second n of these I have seen. ( Measured this and it fits perfectly into a ,50 cal, shell case!)

The Medallion turned out to be a WWI-WWII Australian Army Services Corp ~ Collar Badge ~

Ironically I was 'talking ' to DM part time MD off sider and he suggested a friend of his who is a EBay trader and he listed a NOS AASC collar badge set for $10 and $4 post ~

So I have set coming to match this one ~ I often do that ~ find something in Patina'ed condition and buy a new or NOS piece to demonstrate the item as it was in it's glory ~

The AASC saw service in WW1 at Gallipoli, in Europe with the British Expeditionary Force, Egypt and with the ANZAC Divisions in France. In all areas men of the MSC provided an invaluable service to the fighting troops and the Corps was well commended for its efforts.

Out of a total of 331,781 men of the AIF who embarked in Australia for overseas, 9,735 were AASC personnel.

MOROTAI ISLAND, 1945-05-13. TROOPS OF 49 TRANSPORT PLATOON (DUKWS) AUSTRALIAN ARMY SERVICE CORPS, LEAVING THE LANDING CRAFT VEHICLE AFTER DISEMBARKING FROM THE UNITED STATES ARMY TRANSPORT SEA CAT AT NO. 5 DOCK, RED BEACH, IN HEADQUARTERS 9 DIVISION AREA.

IDENTIFIED PERSONNEL ARE:- DRIVER A.M. JOHNSON (1); NX113205 DRIVER ROYCE CHARLES BOURNE (2); DRIVER G. KOERNER (3); DRIVER K.G. ROBINSON (4); DRIVER R.W. CANN (5); LANCE-CORPORAL J. STAHLHUT (6); DRIVER A.W. RUDD (7); DRIVER T.J. ALEXANDER (8).

Army Service Corps.

The corps, which by the very nature of its work, is one of the most important units in the Commonwealth, was formed in New South Wales 1891 by the transfer of a half-dozen or so men from the 1st Regiment, now the 1st Australian Infantry Regiment.

With its small personnel at that time the duties devolving on the corps were extremely arduous, and, in fact, they covered far more branches of work than could at the present time be legitimately included in its scope.

But its usefulness was quickly recognised by the authorities, and within a few years of its establishment it was placed on a far more satisfactory footing.

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 05-29-2020 at 08:05 AM.

Lovely AASC badge! Its great to get a find like this as it keeps the enthusiasm up for more nice finds. Happy Hunting!

BC~ another report coming up today or tomorrow ~ How onto your Hat for the next one too ~ Amazing find !

Well~ Temperatures are leveling out and much improved.. And decided to do another Hunt ~ No hassle and a lazy start.

I tried an alternative access to the regular site but that was obstructed by a net work of fence lines and tight accesses ~ so retreated back to the familiar access.

Good job I did as I immediately scored a traditional razor handle ~ which I Luv anything razors ~ close as personal goes with out a name ~ AND a ID tag !

I immediately noticed the tag was smaller than those I have seen before in traditional Stainless steel ~

MAN!!!!! DO these British Coins Send the Metal detector RIGHT OFF!!

But spent some four hours sweeping old ground with mixed results ~ and No second ASSA collar medallion ~

By 16:00 I found the encroaching Winter sun was more of a hassle as it is too low and difficult to define diggings ~

So Home around 17:00

A modest tally ~ But intriguing total to say the least .

But the ID tag turned into an issue as the man was a Sergeant and I found in 1947 ( with assistance form Dwayne) was awarded the British Empire Medal .

And a SILVER TAG ~ never seen a ITD made from Silver!

( Still researching ~ short of paying the fee to open his file.)

Additionally the relics were somewhat of a reality check.

Part ID tag (typically used on Duffle Bags.)

~ A Military whistle, 'broken'~ with inscription~ I have an intact one, made in Melbourne ~

~Part of a cigarette lighter ~ I have one intact ~

~ Several 303 Rounds ~ made in 1954 !

~ A cut off cartridge: 45 ACP

~ A mystery item ~ coiled spike ~ turned out to be part of Post war (stage two) Hay baling hay rake.

~ A Roo Penny King George VI .

~ Alternative find of the Day ~ a 1902 Rule Britannia Penny ~

( Wow these coins send the MD off the planet ~ I thought it was another aluminium beer can typical of what I found mere meters previously ~)

~ A Snider Lee Enfield .577 Mini Ball cartridge shell~ ( 19 Century era .)

QUEENSLAND. Atherton Tablelands

29th January 1 CORPS TROOPS, AUSTRALIAN ARMY SERVICE CORPS, AT THE GENERAL SALUTE DURING A PARADE REVIEWED BY LIEUTENANT- GENERAL SIR LESLIE J MORSHEAD,

GENERAL OFFICER COMMANDING 1 CORPS. (JOINS NO. 86121). MEMBERS OF THE 2/34 GENERAL TRANSPORT COMPANY; 1 AIR MAINTENANCE COMPANY; HEADQUARTERS 3 SUPPLY DEPOT COMPANY; AND 11, 12 AND 13 SUPPLY DEPOT PLATOONS ALSO PARTICIPATED.

That dog tag is a ripper!!!

?

?

Nice find Sweep! I wonder where his medals are now? BEM is a rare combo for WWII medals.
    Electoral roll shows his name spelt as Gartly. There is also a Norman Rae Gartly/Gartley (spelt both ways) who I presume is his Father. Returned to Melbourne after the war before moving to Sydney by 1954. Occupation Secretary. He was engaged to Dorothy Kelty in Melbourne in 1946 (name given as Keith rather than Norman). Still alive in 1980 in Normanhurst (last year available to me). He died in 1992 age 74 listed as Keith Gartly of Hornsby.

Cheers Mate

Your research is obviously more effective than I foudn~ and yes dd notice the difference in name ~ but the Identity number matched ~

Thanks for the information ~ I will be endeavouring to locate the family ~