Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 123 of 132 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1313

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

BC

LOL ~ Not done yet ~ still got a report from Xmas Eve which turned ut nicely as well!

Good to hear!

Fossick #544

Digging very OLD ground ~

Forecast 31 deg. rain ~ 96% odds on rain ~

Decided around 09:30 I would do a hunt at Tinaroo dam on the Old original ground I started on all those years ago.

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Registered camp site f the 2/7th Cavalry plus others.

Heavily hammered by every man and his dog ~ ands even their cats ~but new detectors and a dropping water line! ( I was using the Garrett ATP back in those Halcyon days ~even where I found my first Ricing Suns ~ And my first encounter with the ADF and Police.

I spent an 1 1/2 rerunning the Fun Park ~ not a lot ~ Fuel money ~ $2 ~ and of all things a (Modern ) Dog harness ~

So after Smoko I decided to move to the Black Gully area ~ One of the oldest worked sites ~ and where I began years ago ~

The targets were numerous and I simply sifted thru the targets to find the best ~ with limited but excellent results~

It was about Midday when the rains came and I was sent scampering ~ for some 15 minutes before resuming operations.

I worked to a small known dump site which I have visited several times previously as the water level dropped ~ with more success.

By 14:00 the cleared skies were wreaking heat ad high humidify which once again sent me heading home .
    Home 15:40 ~

The fifty cal. came up nicely and is a regular projectile nothing insidious ~

The RS badge is very clean ~ vey tidy ~

The razor head had the handle removed the Digger then dumped the head with the blade placed on the outer surface ~ the blade was STILL THERE when I dug it up but of course severely rusted ~ but this protected the underside of the razor head .

As a result the surface is not etched at all and the maker's stamp is crisp and clear

Empire Razor Ref. Design 20546.

SYRIA.

2/7TH DIVISIONAL CAVALRY REGIMENT, AN AUSTRALIAN ARMOURED UNIT, ON MANOEUVRES NEAR ALEPPO IN NORTHERN SYRIA.

THE CITADEL AND TOWN CAN BE SEEN IN BACKGROUND. NOTE THE WINTER SNOW ON THE GROUND.

(NEGATIVE BY F. HURLEY). Crt AWM copyright expired.

(A famous photo ~ they left their Bren Gun carriers behind ~ did not work well in this environment!)

PAPUA. BUNA.

AUSTRALIAN TROOPS OF 2/7TH CAVALRY REGIMENT AT CAPE ENDAIADERE ADVANCE THROUGH MUD AND SLUSH ON BUNA.

FRONT LEFT IS DAVE HERBERT,

BEHIND HIM AT FAR REAR IS FRED OUGHTON,

SECOND FROM RIGHT BILL PATON AND FAR RIGHT BLUE DAWSON.

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 12-29-2020 at 05:23 AM.

There's an old army saying/observation- 'Be prepared to be flexible'!

Fossick #545

Well two hunts ~ first the last for 2020 ~

Our wet season has begun and it follows a typical pattern of fine to cloudy in the AM and slowly builds to heavy Monsoonal down pours in the afternoons and rain steadily most of the night ~

Normally we get consistently a round 45 mm ~ and forecast for increasing for the rest of the week ~

So decided last night to do a early hunt to beat the Storms and the Mercury ~ . Woke at 05:00 and laid in till 06:00 ~ looked good as forecast again for early ~ blue skies < 22 deg> ~ Off and away by 07:30 ~

No shortage of targets but mostly tent eyelets ~ just have to shift thru the trash ~ Working across the open ground I was pleasantly surprised to across yet another small trash partially obscured heap and spent some time retrieving targets of quality ~

I love the rubbish dumps ~ I see accumulated broken glass I am in !

I am planning to see about making this into a wall hanger relic.

We actually thought for a moment that the tube cut of a 3 " Mortar tube but discussion decided it was too heavy ~ so the jury decided it was a section of Water borer casing ~ despite the lack of any threading.

And again pushed too hard and struggled as the Mercury assailed me once again~ But another good Hunt ~ Last one for 2020

1944 and 1942 KG VI

A tent rope tensioner ~ only the second I have seen.

The lower rod appears to be a Trench art pen as it has a .32 case fixed to teh top and the nib seems to be broken off.

24 Febr 1945 Makes it an expensive Tooth brush.

In my research on 3 " Mortars they were very lethal device with many recorded tragedies inflicted on Operators ~

Trench Mortar | Australian War Memorial

Clean up and including Hunt #545 and Rising Suns.

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 01-02-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Fossick #546 ~

Kicking Silver for #1 2021 ~

Decided to go back and retrieve several items I left behind ~ Much to Ms M's horror as I had only been out New Year's eve.

So set up for an early start~ first day of 2021 Off to bed early and then forgot to turn off the brain ~ more toss and turns a drunken sailor ~ (Maybe my body was expecting more New year's eve Jollies.

Then a cat fight ongoing on the front lawn ~ so I thought stuff give it amiss ~ So slept in till 08:00 and it stopped raining to partially clear ~ so I left later than Hoped for ! But a pleasant 22 Deg. and NW breeze ~

Got one of the MIA items and simply plugged on ~ in the same hammered site ~ I reckon there has been more metal detectors on this site than Diggers in 1944-45 ~

scored an array of smalls ~ I was bemused that I was doing as well as I did ~ then at the foot of the large hill which also included much of the camp I picked up a solid 25-27 ~ So I promptly started to dig it ~

I was surprised at how deep it was ~ had to be 40-50 cm down ~ when I saw the silver flash I thought it was ID tag! But No it was a Florin ~ KG V ~ and well worn ~ I can only think that this was the site of a latrine and the Digger dropped it while doing business. No other logical reason for it being so deep as there was nothing else ~ no glass or signals ~

After Smoko I talked to Ms M and told her I would do another Hour and head home as it was getting noticeably hotter ~ it was 12:30.

I decided to detour slightly to another hammered area ~ I came across a star picket exposed cut off at ground level which had been dug out ~ and a small pile of dirt pushed to one side. Some one in their haste had dug the picket ~ exposing it ~ but he did not check his signals as I then found in the small dirt pile: a nice AMF Coat button! Tch Tch ~

Then I dug two holes in a known fire pit ~ but the holes just got bigger and deeper ~ with No results ~ and as it was getting much hotter ~ (32 deg. confirmed at the car)

So off ~ But by the time Robert met up with me to confirm the Booty ~ and had chat ~ and then I got Home it was 15"50~ Not sure if M was amused or disgusted ~ 2 1/2 hrs later I finally get Home ~

Oh YES the brick IS part of the deal ~ (just need 5K more for a unique home build ~)
    I luv the Brick ~ circa 1943 ~~

Came up superbly ~ including the Inverse side ~45 Mins in

The Plate right is a cut off section of a large calibre artillery shell, being tapered from one edge to the other and quite thick !

Never seen a cuff link ~ brass no impressions!

ATHERTON TABLELAND, QLD. 1943 07 02. Grant M3 TANKS MOVING IN TO SUPPORT THE 2 13TH AUSTRALIAN INFANTRY BATTALION, DURING A DEMONSTRATION OF TANK AND INFANTRY ATTACK METHODS.

Fossick #547

Well~ My Birthday I will do what I like ! Nice weather ~ forecast rain ~ no surprises ~ usual pattern ~ rain most of the night and then clear morning and rain again in the afternoon ideal ~

So modest start ~ planned early start but at 06:00 it was raining ~ so dozed off again ~ woke to horror at 08:00 ~ a casual lay back "She'll be right ! " and away ~

Challenge is that with copious rain of late the dirt tracks and roads are suffering so it was steady as she goes ~ and tread carefully ~Also with the rain and the often clear mornings ~ high humidity and warm days the growing season is in progress with the regrowth of grass more like a raging green brush fire.

Parked and off ~ Not ten minutes in ad a modest signal turned out to be a n Officer's shoulder Pip ~ Nice start to minutes the New Finds bag! ~

Heaps of signals ~ but a lot of trash and smalls ~ bullet cases ~ misc nothing ness and plenty of tent eyelets ~

Maintaining radio contact with Rob we were both watching the NNE where the rain has been coming from ~ and large dark cloud mass forming in that direction ~

Pushing on and meandering further afield ~ Neither of us saw what was coming ~ from the SOUTH ~ hidden by the bush ~ and a hill line ~ what looked like a shower sprang like a famished Dingo springing from the grass ~ I was by now a good ten plus minutes from the car.

Well down it came~ ( Robert who lives locally said "Oh you will be fine ! We only get showers which clear away after 5-10 minutes ~ ")

It poured and never looked like backing off. Fortunately I made precautions which hallowed me to protect the headphones then phone/ camera ~ The radio is a Uniden and weather proof ~ and the Minelab is water proof!

By the time I reached the vehicle I was saturated ~ drenched ~ It was pouring as I bungled into the car dumping as much of my drenched clothing as possible !

As i parked with weather in mind ~ I was able to make an escape ~ if not sodden ~

So ~ actually cleared as I approached home but the damage as done~ and the day was done ~

A small day but certainly head held high ~

Lots of off cuts ~ more scrap Brass and few misc. But the Officers' pip is among the best I have found ~

KAIRI, QLD. 1943-11-19.

KAIRI DIVISION CAMP WESTERN PICTURE THEATRE COMPLETED BY ENGINEERS OF THE 54TH AUSTRALIAN DEPUTY COMMANDER ROYAL ENGINEERS (WORKS) SHOWN IS: VX110858 WARRANT OFFICER CLASS 2 N. A. NEWBIGIN, MILITARY FOREMAN OF WORKS.

( This Igloo was dismantled and reconstructed at Malanda ( my Home Town) at the local show and sports ground. It remains in pride of place to this day.)

KAIRI, ATHERTON TABLELAND, QUEENSLAND. 1945-05-09.

HEADQUARTERS 7 DIVISION OFFICERS WITHIN THE OFFICERS' ENCLOSURE,

A PORTION OF THE 7,000 MEMBERS OF THE DIVISION WHO ATTENDED A COMBINED CHURCH OF ENGLAND AND PROTESTANT DENOMINATION SERVICE OF THANKSGIVING TO COMMEMORATE ALLIED VICTORY IN EUROPE.

OFFICERS OF THE 2ND AUSTRALIAN Division ~

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 01-17-2021 at 12:40 PM.

Above

KAIRI, QLD. 1943-08-19.

OFFICERS OF THE 2ND AUSTRALIAN PACK TRANSPORT COMPANY. LEFT TO RIGHT: Q102580 LIEUTENANT (LT) L. G. CHARTERIS; QX6385 LT T. P. BRAZIER; QX36940 LT J. P. SEARLE.

Fossick #549

Checked the forecast ~ fine today and rain returning tomorrow and beyond ~ So decided at 11.00 to head out and make the best of the weather.

Perfect day ~ breeze ~ 25 Degs. as I drove out to the Cow Paddock. Getting heavy duty ! out the padlock the areas not grazed are full on and some places even shoulder high ~ so aggressive has been the wet this years.. and it is still going ~ with storms and torrential downpours on an almost daily routine.

Headed to the mid high ground ~ Up against the Bracken ~ chased a few signals but most were very deep and I gave up~ Only thing I found was a Stove burner ~ Was not looking good ~ and it was not until i rounded the Grassy Knoll that again luck smiled ~ well sort of ~ a few coppers and misc..

Not sure if I was mixing it with the Cattle or were they following me ~ the White one came up real close to see what I up too ~

Intriguing how they really graze different areas right down and other areas tend to spring back.

Worked the fringes of the Grassy knoll.

It was then I came across an area right on the cattle water hole/ creek~ BUT before the steers graciously pushed back the grass ~ was permanently hidden the dense grass.

I spent a good Hour working the one square meter of a small rubbish dump.

Unfortunately they had also burnt a lot of stuff ~ the buckles are burnt ~ the solid piece melted is intriguing ~ no idea what t was but it as the remnants of D/|\D engraved on it and it is Brass ~

The RS and the flash thankfully are reasonably good condition and did not suffer from the furnace! Both with pins intact ~

The coins 3 * 1943 and 1938 were spread around between the grassy knoll and the slope area~

The mercury was rising and by 15:30 I was knackered and saturated. So staggered back to the park lot and headed home

Post WWII Milsurp Disposals sale, Edmonton, Cairns, Queensland 1946