Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 79 of 132 FirstFirst ... 29 69 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 89 129 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Did some research myself on the StG 44 in .22LR Rimfire

Intriguing stuff ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

THanks again for the feedback Phil !

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/his...ming-from-ati/

Just thought I would have abit of a Hoot after considering my rzor collection ~

There are some pretty cool handles and fittings which I have dug up ~ so I figured lets put together a working version ~

Got some blades and gave it a whirl ~ Bewt shave for sure ~ and no nasty incidences ~ after all grew up with these safety razors ~

I want to put together on e with the better handles which are very ornate ~ Favoured one, of the three ~ top ~ 2-3-4 in from the Stainless 1932 pat. razor sharpeners ~

Very stylish ~ and considering the price asking for vintage razors ~ Why not ! LOL

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 08-31-2017 at 04:31 AM.

MAP
    ?

You are a braver man than I!!!!

Did you get a precautionary Tetanus shot first?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Did you get a precautionary Tetanus shot first?
    LOL

Had a top up about 2 months ago when I suffered a laceration after an encounter with Blow Mould casting at work ~

Plus all these components have been soaked in the snake oil ~ which sterilises and strips the BRASS ~ So I think such issues rate pretty low on the richter scale !

Still Very happy with the results too ~BTW

?

Thank God you haven't found any cut-throat razors ;-)

Oz.

Thank God you haven't found any cut-throat razors ;-)

Mate ~ I have actually dug a cut up throat razor some time back ~ unmistakable ~ but being ferrous metal it had not fared well after some 70 plus years in the ground ~

That aside ~ I for one would NEVER even want to go there ~ ( My Grandfather used one ~ Sends shiver up my spine just thinking about it ~ especially after my firs t Wife slashed her finger playing around with the same blade/ razor some years later ~ Silly Goil! )

I have actually thought about digging such insidious items~ and not being careful ~ Thankfully I have never had an incident ~ even with all the broken beer bottles we come across ~ Even the Mechanics gloves I use may not save a careless hand ~

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 08-31-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Finally got out for a proper hunt ` but if not in a well worked site ~

The weather is so fickle up ere at the moment and if the southerly breeze had not been up it would have been a scorcher ~

I tweaked the CTX settings a little as an experiment ~ Results certainly worked ~

The ground is dry as a cracker and the usually lush grass is in die back mode ~ as our dry season bites in proper ~

The combination I modified made the few hours I put much more worth while ~

As a result there was suddenly a lot of very deep targets and many more lesser depth targets ~

I spent about 20 minutes digging a brilliant signal but it was deep ~ ( The flash did not reveal the target unfortunately ~ )

( I lightened the photo in an endeavour to enhance the object in the bottom ~

Thinking I may have to employ te same emthods as our Russian blokes and gat excavator on the job !!!

It was cast and definitely not rusted ~ ( Maybe it was the breach off a 25 Pdr. ? LOL )

I eventually gave in as it was too deep and to big with no sign of coming loose ~

I found a lot of targets which had other site been hidden beneath a jungle of heavy grass ~ partially exposed by the die back ~

I eventually called it a day around 16:00 ~ Not huge day but some good ~ stuff ~

A 1938 1/2 penny

A Very nice condition KGV 1943 Penny ~ in about he best condition i have seen such a a 1943 penny ~

A KG VI 6d 1940 . A KG V 3d 1934 .

Very nice rucksack buckle ~ a Drill 303 shell case ` a Bren gun fired 303 ~

Obviously detritus items and misc, not included ~ after all we have to leave something for the interlopers ~

The intriguing part is that this site was known to have been bull dozed and cleared post WWII but Hell ~ What was going on if I am "uncovering" such deep targets ~

And better still ~ How many deep pits are there yet to be revealed ~ Knowing that the Military were severely criticized fro wanton waste of materials at the War's end ~

With that point in mind certainly worth digging some of these deep targets ~ May even find a Bren gun in a case ~ Who knows ` ~

( The ground is pretty hard to be making use of that Deep recovery ~ After all it turns into a classic ~ To dig or not to dig!

I usually or quite often run Deep recovery too, 'Dutchy' It usually works very well on the CTX, eh ! Try turning up the manual sensitivity ~ that worked well for me last weekend ~ )

But this is the same site that I found tent site with Military type small paraphernalia and a 1946 Florin ! I mean? Were they cleaning up the site or just coincidence ~ Aerial maps of 1948 tell nothing ~

A real mystery for sure ~

Some of the clean up and the frags I have been working on ~

The silver coins and another frag I dug out of my bits and pieces ~ it came uap treat !

Certainly planning another trip to 'dig up' some more of these frags and bandings for sure!)

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 09-02-2017 at 01:46 AM. Reason: add on

Today's Headline ~ Stuart SS/ ATP ~ Discovers Hammered Silver Coin.

Saturday ~ DM had the weekend allocated to family ~ So another Solo hunt ~ I headed off around 11:30 ~

Warm but a nice ESE breeze keeping things cool ~ I started on the extreme upper track on the hillside but found nothing but serious iron signals ~ never even dug a single hole ~

Moved to the area of the known camp and parked ~

After the initial hill start and fail ~ First two holes I dug ~ looked good ~ An AUSTRALIA Flash and a small Rising Sun ~

I banged on and found some real potential dig sites ~ including what I believe was a workshop ~

I ended up around 16:00 again ~ as rain threatened ~ well pleased with the efforts and goodies yielded ~

Raw bring home pieces ~

The Penny turned out to be a sad 1884 QV

The two round pieces: I think one is actually fuze primer insert and the other is very heavily 'knurled' for hand / finger grip'!

The small piece at the top of the Australia flash looks like a weapon bolt ~ perhaps a tad small ~ ( ? )

The badges and good ones still in the tub ~

Silvers from Weds and Saturday ~ the top left is hammered ~ a hammered 3d. ~ I can’t even raise a date ~ some writing only ~ visible ~

The latest razor restoration in progress ~

Absolutely stunning result thus far ~

Been playing with light, back drop and camera settings ~

Here is a snapshot of the latest batch of relics including the badges found last Saturday ~

Page 79 of 132 FirstFirst ... 29 69 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 89 129 ... LastLast