Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 95 of 132 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Combined celan up ~

Only did some 5 of the ACPs to assess potential ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

The forecast for Saturday was mid thirties ad coupled with the high humidity associated with the Wet Tropics is a real killer ~ So I canned any plans for a Hunt last weekend ~

But got up in a lazy lay in and by 11:00 it was a mere 27 degs. That will do me I chanted ! A couple of quick calls and a messenger ~ but the only available one was Robert and Puppy ~

( Dwayne was creating school assignments and the Apprentice Bryce ~ well must have been out on the turps with his mates Friday night and phone turned off. )

Anyway Rob and I almost arrived atmeet point spot on time ~ simultaneously ~ He wanted to know where I found the ACP 45s. So decided we could have another look and I would also chase up the second Officer's Pip.

As i said to RS ~ Officer's should pips come in pairs right! Two ~ four or even six! So there has to be a second one ~ So Rob watched on as I scoured the spot and recovered a quite a few small oddments and bits ~ No pip ~

Anyway After about an hour Robert decided to retreat to his AC and study the notes I had printed out for him ~ ( He does not have Pooter or the net as he reckon he would never get away from it !)

Not ten minutes later BINGO!! I rang him to announce I had found the Officer's shoulder Pip.!!!!!!!!!!!

So I pressed on and decided to give it another 20 minutes and move on~

Well Blow me down ~ I found another Officer's Pip ~

LOL ~ This creates another quandary ~ remember Officer's Pips come in pairs ~ 2 -4 -6 ~ Now I have gone from 1-3 ~ ( Of course even then they could be merely rejects~ but ~ they all have their mounting pins so were hardly rejected because of broken pins!)

So did a short walk about exploring the are as I believe it was a camp site and eventually was bulldozed and the bulk of the soil was trucked away leaving some relics as per those I have dug to date ~

So finding a few more bits I eventually stopped for a cuppa, and watched an encroaching thunder storm building ~ called it a day around 16:00 hrs ~ well pleased with the modest collection of relics.

I did a rough head count and I have dug 19 Officer's Pips ~ Plus some I bought as a part of job lots ~

But part of that is also a pair of shoulder boards/ epaulettes complete with Captain's pips and AUST flashes.

Of course ~ referring back to the three pips found most recently found~

Now I have three ~ that mystical odd number ~

Why an odd number in one hole ~ ARE there more ~

I assume the different conditions of wet to damp to dry soil conditions have added to the bewilderment of ongoing finds in the same area.~

Plus several Thompson SMG specialty webbing sling buckles I also dug ~ ( referencing after the 45 ACP spill )

Too miserable today ~ at least we have cool condition ~ if not border line cold ~ but rain ~ ~

Had big plans for today but Autumn weather saw that shot to pieces ~ so a day sorting and reshuffling the workshop~

Even finished off a few relics ~

A 25 Pdr. HE frag found several months back ~ (Not a nice thought of this hurtling toward one at ~ (?) m/sec !)

Fossick #426 Solo ~

Yesterday ~ Weds ~ A few hours in Solo hunt and a visit to Robert’s place.

SIx Pounder shell cases recovered from the Coral Sea in a Trawler fishing net ! And USAF A10 20 mm chain links ~ All legit and legal ~

He showed some of his latest acquisitions and we chewed the fat for a while before I headed for scratch around in old ground ~

Unfortunately the ground of recent successes with the Equinox has been given up it's treasures ~ AGAIN ~ time to let some relics regrow !

By 15:00 hrs a storm was brewing and I was drenched through by the time I returned to the 4*4 ~

Isolated storms and showers dotted the area but I ran slap bang into a 2-3 km stretch where the rain was Torrential down pour and vision was severely limited on a stretch of hilly roads freshly resurfaced and no road markings ~ Scary !

But just as I pulled into the car port we could see in the distance a wall of water headed for us ~ in fact it turned into HAIL which is a very unusual event for this region ~

But what seemed a slow day in the dirt turned out once again to be a RIPPER as I found one Gem in the rough~

A Match Box shroud / protector ~ I saw when I dug it up that it had some thing engraved but I had NO idea what a fabulous trench art piece it turned out to be~

( I was hoping it may have been a serial number and Name but the result was every pleasant result all the same ! )

The trench art depicts a Digger, with rifle at the “Port Arms” ~ and a Boomerang form at his feet ~

The flip side shows a coat of arms with a very dodgy Kangaroo and an Emu ~ The coat of arms is personal interpretation is seems ~

The matchbox cover makes that day worth it all on its own. Lovely find!

Thanks BC ~ and I could agree more ~ Seems my years of experience have served me well and I always seem to come home with ~ as my Partner Merete says !' That one special item!"

Not sure if it is class ~ or simply ~ well ~ lucky ! LOL

You got to get it under the coil to find it. Certain amount of luck and perseverance needed! Nice finds!

Fossick #427 ~ Solo ~ In the Dumps ~

Weather looked grim and regular showers ~ but a pleasant 22-26 Degs. ~

Turned into a solo ~ no worries ~

Decided to try the new Equinox on old ground ~ after all if it is that good it may well deliver again ~ but this ground is so flogged since I started out ~ and saw nothing but 303 cartridge/ shells ~ admittedly I only gave it some 40 minutes and a shower of rain~

I moved to other ground ~ Started out checking the sides of the road ~ again amazingly ~ relics from 75 years ago ~

Eventually I moved further afield and turned over a couple of rubbish dumps ~ ( But these dumps really need to 'sieved' which may plan out as a plan to talking to old mate Terry~ )

I again was rained on me seriously but I plugged on ~

Eventually retreated for a cuppa and called it a day a ground 15:45.

Spot the Sun baker ~ been laying there for Who know how many years ~

One of the dump sites ~

A cracker axe head ~ Sorry Terry too large and heavy to carry back ~ as my relics bag was full ~ including bottles ~

To be honest the site should be 'shifted' ~ I spent some considerable time digging the ground ~

Nothing stunning but still a great day :"out there! "

Triangle piece is a primer safety triangle/ guard to fit a 2 Pdr./ 40 mm shell case ~

Left ~ Embossed ~ "Spruso - for hair" and right ~ was half full and a rusted top but that fell apart when Merete opened it ~

She smelt an essence ~ I did not ~ ~ embossed on base ~ three finger indents on the sides. Johnson & Johnson.

BAKRI, MALAYA, 1942-01-15.

GUNNERS OF 13TH AUSTRALIAN ANTI-TANK BATTERY USING A 2 PDR ANTI-TANK GUN ACTION AGAINST JAPANESE TYPE 94 LIGHT TANKS AT A ROAD BLOCK.

THE FORWARD TANK HAS BEEN SET ON FIRE

Some of that ground looks more like shale than soil AT, it must take some serious digging. Great finds again though.

Page 95 of 132 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 ... LastLast