Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Australian WWII mortar training range

Article about: Decided to go exploring again today at an old rifle range I have previously found some interesting bits and pieces around - the range was a public facility, but was commandeered by the Austr

satchiel
    ?

Default Australian WWII mortar training range

Decided to go exploring again today at an old rifle range I have previously found some interesting bits and pieces around - the range was a public facility, but was commandeered by the Australian army during WWII for troop training. The bulk of finds here are projectiles as would be expected of an old rifle range, although I have found a few mortar components in the past. Today turned out to be the best search yet, scouring an area that has previously turned up a 2-inch mortar tail fin and part of a 2-inch fuse outer casing.

Today's search turned up and even more complete 2-inch tail fin (pic 1) than found in the past, with the tail fin stamped with as 1942 Z with a peculiar maker's mark - it appears to be an overlapping PC inside a circle with little projections at 2, 6 & 10 o'clock (pic 2). Does anyone have an idea who this manufacturer is? The base cap is stamped with as 42 and the same maker's stamp again of overlapping PC over a small 6 (pic 3).

Second found was a segment of 2-inch mortar fuse (No.161?) with partial stamp of Z on the outer casing (pic 4). Part of the internal mechanism is still present with the detent retaining clip & detent clearly visible, & the detent spring tristed and protruding out of the fuse casing (pic 5). The striker channel is also clear as is the locking ball channel (pic 6). The locking ball is also still in place at the end of its channel.

Third find was a nose from a MkII 2-inch smoke mortar. Remnants of the nose cap still remain attached to the housing (pic 7), and the 3 rivet indents are still visible on the face of the nose (pic 8). The inside of the housing is one solid mass - am assuming this mass is the fused remnants of the smoke compound after having burned. Does anyone know the composition of the smoke compound, & if this remaining mass of "slag" is normally found in conjunction with smoke mortars?

All in all, today's finds aren't as impressive or numerous in comparison to what's found in Europe, but does prove that there're good sites around the place in Australia if you're prepared to look for them!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian WWII mortar training range   Australian WWII mortar training range  

Australian WWII mortar training range   Australian WWII mortar training range  

?

Default Re: Australian WWII mortar training range

I have one with the same markings as yours,on the BOCN site it said unknown,but could be Paiton Calvert,if that helps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian WWII mortar training range   Australian WWII mortar training range  

JEDEM DAS SEINE

Nice finds. I really love these fins

Steve T

satchiel
    ?

Given the number of unknown/little known sites around Australia (most of my spare time is spent researching and pinpointing little known sites around SE Queensland), I'd love to see others who collect in Australia post some of their finds as well...Australian home turf items are pretty sparse on here, although they are out there with a bit of research & alot of trek-time searching! Has anyone, or does anyone know, of collectors/adventurers/sites around Australia that have similar finds, & if so, any pics??