Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British army dump dig - Second dig of 2014

Article about: by Steve T Shame I can't try it for fit! Those aren't Bren drum winders m3, they are latches off something. The Bren 100rnd mag winder had a semi-circle at one end with two flat pieces. We'v

LOL!

Thanks Gary

Lovely finds Steve. Try giving the enameled labels a wipe over with olive oil, wipe off excess and you'll see it'll improve the faded parts of the Black lettering.
    All the Best.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Thanks LS I'll get some oil on it right away

The Bren carry handles are the Mk2 type and were burnt with the wood on. I'd stake my life on them being thrown because the screw threads were shagged.

The 1919A4 trigger could also be from the 1917 or 1917A1 as they were pretty much the same trigger and we received a fair few of them (Shame there aren't many in the UK).

Thanks M3 Good to know I'd check the thread but they're a tad rusty!!

hi fella's

here are my finds from the day. not much when you consider me and marek (my labourer) were digging non stop for 4 hours but I like to think it's the taking part that counts

there were plenty of besa ammo boxes in rough condition but maybe useable (I need 22 for the Cromwell), oil bottles, bits of sten, rifle butts, bren handles. cleaning brushes, various hinges and lock mechansims, a Vickers mount elevation lock and an odd clinomter which we thought might have been from a Vickers but after I got home I googled the Vickers sight an it doesn't look like this one ? on the side it reads HA 1 2 3 370 3 2 1 LA and there is a level bubble on the reverse. it doesn't seem to be made very well either almost like something that would be disposed of after use. anyone got any ideas ?

funnily enough by far the best finds of the day were made in steve's garage when he very kindly gave me 5 AP rounds. 4 x 6pdr and 1 x 75mm. the 75mm will go in the Cromwell
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British army dump dig - Second dig of 2014   British army dump dig - Second dig of 2014  

British army dump dig - Second dig of 2014  

I can see some Bren Drum winders, Sten trigger mech cover, sten spring cap retainers, mounting pin + wood ammo box hinge for a Vickers or Browning 1917, Lee Enfield No.4 Stock bands (Where the forward sling swivel attaches), a hasp off a small arms chest, possibly the bottom from a Colt 1911 mag (Or maybe a smaller pistol), a handle from a ammo box, butt plates, oil bottles and possibly on the left, the trigger frame from a Browning 1917 or 1919 (If it is then Steve's trigger would fit inside)

Oh and that bottom photo looks like the bottom of a 2" mortar barrel, the HA and LA will be High angle and Low Angle at a guess. Any 2" experts?

Shame I can't try it for fit! Those aren't Bren drum winders m3, they are latches off something. The Bren 100rnd mag winder had a semi-circle at one end with two flat pieces. We've found lots at this site but these aren't them

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast