Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cleaning WW1 shell fuses - Advice

Article about: Hi Jimbo Have to agree with Steve, that brush is probably too fine, you need a harsher one. Or you could use this in your drill which does a great job : LESSMAN 41013607 DIY BRASS WIRE WHEEL

?

Default Cleaning WW1 shell fuses - Advice

Hello, i have found a couple of shell fuses whilst field walking over the last few years, i was hoping that someone can offer me some advice.
    I have the fuses still as found, covered in mud and the brass tarnished.
    What method would anyone recommend me using, in order to clean them as close to 'as new' condition as possible?

I have tried using 'brillo' pads with metal polish, but am not too keen on the finish from this method.

I have read brief methods in-which people use acid? These seem to have nice results.
    Can anyone offer me any guidance?

Many Thanks
    Jimbo

?

Default Re: Cleaning WW1 shell fuses - Advice

Put it in your rifle/pistol brass cleaner next time you clean used brass for reloading. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Go to your local Halfords, buy some Hammerite Rust Remover, dilute with water. Drop fuses in, give it a couple of days. Take them out, they will have turned pink ! Get a brass brush ( Halfords also, I don`t work there in case you`re wondering ! ) and brush them up. The brass brush won`t scratch them. Finally use normal metal polish, should then look great ! Post us a couple of pics, cheers !

Alternatively, get a brass wire brush attachment for your electric drill. Clamp the drill or item in a vice and clean away. Works a treat.

Steve T

PS Hammerite rust remover will ruiin the fuse heads as it makes them go a horrid copper colour. The electric brush method works best.

I hate brass colour after acid, I prefer a bit patina, so I use Disodium EDTA, it is salt, so it wouldn't destroy your hands and it is non toxic. Then take brass brush and clean Your fuze, but be careful with time if You will put item too long in Disodium EDTA it will eat also all patina.

Here ya go. This is the result of using a brass wire brush attachemnt on an electric drill on this 25lber shell. (Base ejecting smoke round...perfectly safe )

In reference to above, Ive never had a problem with Hammerite Rust Remover causing any problem as long as you don`t forget you left it in there ! Please see attached a couple of before and after pics of a British No.83 double effect fuse I bought at War and Peace this year ( £3 and didn`t haggle either, bargain ! ). It spent 3 days in Hammerite then cleaned off with a brass brush.

Sorry guys, pics attached !

?

That was a good price plus very nice item - esp now clean!
    With regard to the brass brush, would something like this be ok? - WIRE BRUSH BRASS WIRE BRUSH 250mm | eBay
    Thanks everyone,
    Jimbo

I don't think that will be stiff enough Jimbo. You need a decent electric brush attachment for your power drill to get the job done properly. I usually pick up my brass wire brushes at the carboot for a quid or so.

Steve T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast