Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

El Alamein battlefield destruction

Article about: A new city is being built that will destroy much evidence on this historic battlefield.

Default El Alamein battlefield destruction

A new city is being built that will destroy much evidence on this historic battlefield.

So many want to erase history now that this does not surprise me.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Its an interesting subject, I'm not sure that you can expect developing countries to hold back because the western world chose to fight a battle there. From what I understand they are creating a museum / memorial and maintaining the cemetery. If growth in tourism is part of the aim they would be foolish not make the battle part of that, and it may even give greater exposure to that part of WWII.

Propaganda video Egypt's New Alamein City - YouTube , at least they have finished the palace first, I wouldn't have put money on that.

It's an interesting choice that the memorial seems to be a big German soldier.

Steve.

I don't think the German war cemetery is under any threat as it is not that near to New Alamein, but the British cemetery could get surrounded by skyscrapers in the future! The historic rail head will probably been affected. There is already a 6 lane highway across the battlefield.