Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

Article about: Sorry, got no incredible SS rings/buckles/helmets to show here Instead I'll throw in some photographs of the ordinary surface finds I've come across in the vast wilderness of the northernmos

CSW
    ?

Hello again! What an interesting summer it's been. Despite the pandemic I was able to spend several weeks in the northern regions of the country (and take almost a bit too many photos - which is not necessarily a bad thing, though).

In addition to that, I got the chance to start doing cooperation with a museum and so far I've absolutely enjoyed helping our professionals with their work. A special "thank you" to a certain friend here on the forum for answering all my questions and inquiries

The title of this thread has been changed to better describe what I'm planning to show here: Finnish and Soviet material can be expected as well.

Very much looking forward to sharing some pieces of the summer with all of you WRF people.

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland
    Last edited by CSW; 11-17-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Can’t wait to see the pictures you took over the summer. Also great to hear your working with a museum must be a privilege!

Bodhi

?

Great discoveries ... I really enjoyed reading this thread. Thank you!
    Dan

CSW
    ?

Artillery stuff: shell fragments, empty Soviet and possibly Swedish-made (?) 76/75mm shrapnel shells etc. This area was extremely heavily shelled by Soviet artillery during the so-called Winter War between the USSR and Finland in February 1940. The traces of those battles are still well visible.

Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland Exploring the Arctic battlefields of northern Finland

A pretty huge one, approximately a foot in length:

Getting bigger. Soviet 122mm perhaps?

A base plug for a large shell with quite a number of markings.

A nearby house photographed just days after the Moscow Peace Treaty was signed in March 1940. (Source: SA-Kuva archive)

CSW
    ?

Not sure whether this one is Soviet or Finnish. Maybe German even? No manufacturer's markings visible

CSW
    ?

Food-related items, because everyone loves food - especially during a war.

Perhaps just a rusty can, but at least with a nice "WEHRM" stamp on it

A 1943-dated piece of china at a late-war Luftwaffe base.

And to go with your food...

Any ideas about the second one? Can't quite figure what the text says: T(---)LEY?

Here's a slightly more intact example from my personal collection: a similar, very typical German 0,35l bottle.

Very cool finds!

CSW
    ?

Thank you very much for the comments Bodhi! I do appreciate them.

To answer your earlier question: yes, I very much consider it a privilege and a win-win situation for both me and the museum(s). I explore, they display

No problem! I’ve always enjoyed watching and looking at the relics people find especially when they off to a good home. Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
    Bodhi

CSW
    ?

One more beer bottle.

This one has travelled all the way from the Netherlands to northern Finland and has been emptied by Luftwaffe personnel at some point in 1944.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast